Hope2SleepGuide

Sleep Apnoea Forum Bringing Help + Support to the Patient

My AHI is always below 0.5 and some nights its 0.

This makes me wonder if I have Sleep Apnoea any longer or is it a case that the machine is doing its job.  My 6 month pressure is 15.2 and my AHI for the same period is 0.3.

I use a Resmed S9 , H5i and Simplus mask.

Views: 182

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am concerned that the hospital may say that I no longer need my CPAP and take it away.

I then would have to buy my own as I could not even think about sleeping without one

Edam, we have it for life, your getting the treatment you require by having an AHI that low, make sure you hang onto your CPAP

Well done to you! the machine is doing its job and you are doing well with the machine. I'm pleased for you, as I have been for myself. My AHI is consistently under 1 and I've been using cpap for nearly four years!

The machine is not going away soon, it's still despite all the advances in drugs and surgery the best way to deal with sleep apnea, if not the most convenient, and is very, very cost effective so the NHS is unlikely to take it away and try something else.

I have been using CPAP for over 5 years now .

The most important benefit I have got is that the nightmares I used to get stopped when I used CPAP.

For that reason I would never stop using CPAP.

Since I started using CPAP in May '12 I have stopped having nightmares, leg cramps and pain in my hands and wrists at night. Lots of extra benefits for me. On top of the obvious benefits of staying awake during the day. 

I love it. 

Pleased to hear you're having such great improvements to your health Judith

Judith-Ann Wardlaw said:

Since I started using CPAP in May '12 I have stopped having nightmares, leg cramps and pain in my hands and wrists at night. Lots of extra benefits for me. On top of the obvious benefits of staying awake during the day. 

I love it. 

Hi Edam,

The machine is just doing its job (and very well judged by the AHI figures you're getting). The whole point of the machine is to get your AHI below at least 5.0 and as close to 0.0 as possible.

Pete

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Sleep Apnoea Forum

New to the Sleep Apnoea Forum? 

1. Stop by our Sleep Apnoea Welcome Center to introduce yourself to the SleepGuide community.
2. Start a New Topic of Conversation.
3. Post your photos - of yourself, your old CPAP machine, your new CPAP machine, your pet, something about you!

Interested in advertising, have a problem or need to contact us? Click the Report an Issue page.

Latest Activity

Edam replied to Edam's discussion Double inhaling
"I have been using   Remstar and S9 APAP,s for about 9 years now and my COPD was diagnosed at the same time. A consultant wanted to stop my Steroid inhaler completely as my COPD was not bad enough to require it but the nurse just…"
yesterday
Sleep2snore replied to Chris Vesey's discussion Medistron batteries
"It is always good to have a dealer that you can trust and will sort out problems when they arise. It is always nice to have someone that has the time to sort things out with a customer and take time to do it rather than some salesman that don't…"
yesterday
Sleep2snore replied to Edam's discussion Double inhaling
"Well the inhaler makes the lungs open up and if anything the dryness from a CPAP will dry them up and shut them down again. I am no doctor, but if you needed an inhaler before CPAP you would certainly need one after you start. Why did they cut you…"
yesterday
Sleep2snore replied to Edam's discussion Twisted strap ouchhh!!
"What kind of strap is it, is it a cloth one or a silicone one? If it is a cloth one you could sew a strip along it to give it a bit more rigidity/stiffness. If it is a plastic one or a silicone one you could sew a bit of fabric round it to make it…"
yesterday
Edam replied to Edam's discussion Twisted strap ouchhh!!
"I twisted the forehead strap again last night and OUCH!! Can anybody suggest a full face mask without the forehead strap. I cant use the Resmed Airfit masks as I seem to be exactly between sizes "
yesterday
"Using the  increased steroid dosage inhaler, 200 /6 rather than 100/6, has reduced my 95% pressures by about 5 cm. Doing some detective work I have found that I was put onto a lower dosage inhaler in May last year. I think that is when the…"
yesterday
John Wilkinson replied to John Wilkinson's discussion I've 'hit a wall' can any body help me?
"Thanks for your advice. I really appreciate your help. I wasn't aware that there different types of apnoeas. I will be seeing the sleep nurse next week. I will keep you informed. John "
May 17
John Wilkinson replied to John Wilkinson's discussion I've 'hit a wall' can any body help me?
"Thanks for that Kath. I am due to see the sleep clinic next week. Hopefully they will re-adjust the pressure. I will keep you informed. John"
May 17
"I have read that APAP machines are not suitable for people with Asthma and give the same problems that I have been having. I am now having to use twice the dose of steriods just to keep the APAP happy If I can ever get in touch with my hospital I…"
May 17
Kath Hope replied to Chris Vesey's discussion Medistron batteries
"Thanks Chris and we certainly are doing our homework Sleep2Snore.  Our charity work hard to get the right products at the right price for our fellow sufferers, and we have lots of loyal customers who purchase from us both to support the charity…"
May 17
Kath Hope replied to John Wilkinson's discussion I've 'hit a wall' can any body help me?
"Sorry to hear after a good start you've taken a step backwards, and it could well be due to the reduction in pressure.  We don't recommend adjusting pressures but you're right to contact your hospital who will probably re-adjust…"
May 17
Sleep2snore replied to John Wilkinson's discussion I've 'hit a wall' can any body help me?
"They have reduced it to far.  The max was 16, they should have left the machine at 18 if it is an APAP (automatic pressure) if it is a CPAP you have now same applies.  However, it might not be quite that straight forward as that as the…"
May 16
John Wilkinson posted a discussion

I've 'hit a wall' can any body help me?

I was diagnosed with severe OSA in November and I have been using a Philips Respironics CPAP machine and full face mask from early December up to now (about 5 months). My HPI's went down from 44 to about  14 in about 10 weeks and I was feeling much…See More
May 16
"They are very costly things to have sitting around to go wrong or if you forget to charge them by their date. You could try to see if they will do it on a sale or return basis, them you could keep one or two.  However, I think most are ordering…"
May 15
Chris Vesey replied to Chris Vesey's discussion Medistron batteries
"Hi, I see from medistrom website they are looking for dealers, is it worth considering Kath"
May 15
"I wish the ResMed was 12Vdc, it would make life a lot easier. I wonder why they need 24Vdc anyway? My APAP is not mine to and see why it has to be 24Vdc! I don't think the clinic might be to impressed if I opened it for a look. "
May 14
Sleep2snore replied to Edam's discussion Double inhaling
"I would like to see how the hospital is going to explain that your Apnoea is getting worse with an AHU of 0. That is almost incompetent. It might also be that it is not straight forward Sleep Apnoea you have and might benefit from an advanced…"
May 14
"hi, just looked on internet, it seems that medistrom may not have a dealer in the uk but a company called sleep tight advertise the pilot 24 for £345, don't know about the co pilot. The very expensive one on amazon comes from Israel, good…"
May 13
"hi, at the time amazon were selling the pilot for £285 and the co pilot for £137, gone up a lot since then chris"
May 13
"I have read that if you have Asthma a CPAP is better than a APAP  When the APAP increases the pressure it makes the asthma worse and then the APAP increases the pressure again which makes the asthma even worse ..... This is exactly whats…"
May 13

© 2018   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service