Hope2SleepGuide

Sleep Apnoea Forum Bringing Help + Support to the Patient

Hi,

I have noticed a couple of times lately that the output from my machine increases to the point where it is impossible to maintain a good mask seal, I take it that this is something to do with the auto setting, ramp is off. This usually occurs after I have been asleep for a couple of hours. Any comments?

Chris

Views: 45

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This sometimes happens Chris when people are on auto machines, and the changes in pressure can cause the mask to leak which unfortunately wakes the person.  However, sometimes the pressure changes themselves can disturb a person's sleep.  It would be worth trying to see if you can very slightly tighten the straps to help compensate when the pressures raise.  Some clinics raise the lower pressures so the increase in pressures haven't so far to climb.....this would depend on what the average pressure a person needs though.  If people can't overcome this, then the machine can be changed to fixed pressures if you speak to your hospital about this.

Hello Chris,

I have been using an Airsense 10 for the last 6 months. In the early days I had a similar problem, the higher pressure would both initiate a leak and also wake me up. In the early days I was adjusting the mask tension a lot more and several times in the night. As I got used to wearing the mask, then I found a new issue that I was swallowing air and waking up feeling bloated.

• In my inexperience, I tried reducing the maximum pressure initially, but this was not a good thing as the pressure was not high enough to fix the apnoeas {my Sleep Clinic nurse identified this at my 1 month review). It did however help me get used to wearing the mask, so not all bad.
  • Since I need to run my Airsense at higher pressures and the higher pressure helps me breathe through my narrow nasal passages, I decided to reduce the range of pressure by starting higher (15) and letting the Auto function find the maximum pressure between 15-20. Cath makes this point in her reply.
  • I find I have got used to wearing the mask and knowing what is the right strap tension. I rarely need to change the straps tension now. When I wake up I give the mask a wiggle to set the seal. The Resmed mask leaks air out of the vent anyway and I sometimes sense the mask is leaking when it is not.
  • I find I have adapted over time to wearing the mask and using the Airsense. The maximum APAP pressure has reduced slightly over time. My Apnooea index has reduced slightly over time. I believe the respiratory muscles adapt and you get used to the experience.
  • I use SleepyHead software to understand my data (free download for laptop). If I have a bad night, or I am conscious of leaks, I check the data on the SD card to see what is happening. Be informed what is going on for you, before changing the pressure settings and seek advice from your Sleep Clinic.

Good luck. As most people say...it gets better over time.

cheers, billysleep

Hi,

Having real trouble replying to forum, my replies are getting lost, trying again

Download Sleepyhead to see what is going on, it might be the machine responding to a leak by putting u the flow to compensate, however the newer machines tend not to raise the pressure but increase the flow.

If you Download Sleepyhead you can see what is going on, you can also limit the machine and even take the lower pressure up so as most of the Apnoeas are gone, leaving the machine to deal with the rest.  However, you should not pu the machine at to high a low pressure if there is any signs of central apnoeas.  Bringing the machine closer to a pressure nearer the highest (normal) pressure will also give you a better sleep.

What I mean by this is:  If a machine is set to 4 and 15 as a high pressure, the machine will be to low at 4 to work against apnoeas, most will be in the 10 to 15 range, so taking the machine up to 8 or even 9 will give the machine less pressure to rise and not disturb you when it raises the pressure, it might also catch most of the apnoeas before they start.

https://sleepyhead.jedimark.net/?TestingVersions  instructions are on the page.  Be careful not to delete your data by accident.  If nothing else it will let you see what is going on with your machine and treatment.

I adjusted my machine after I got it home after a few nights by taking up the low pressure a bit (not much as it was almost there anyway) but it made a big difference to sudden bursts of pressure.

Even if you do not want to adjust your machine it is interesting to see just how well or otherwise you are doing.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Sleep Apnoea Forum

New to the Sleep Apnoea Forum? 

1. Stop by our Sleep Apnoea Welcome Center to introduce yourself to the SleepGuide community.
2. Start a New Topic of Conversation.
3. Post your photos - of yourself, your old CPAP machine, your new CPAP machine, your pet, something about you!

Interested in advertising, have a problem or need to contact us? Click the Report an Issue page.

Latest Activity

Alison replied to Bethany's discussion Help for the hubby
"Hi Bethany, Just a suggestion but has anyone mentioned narcolepsy?"
yesterday
Profile Iconsharon and Penny Harrison joined Hope2SleepGuide
Saturday
jjimjam is now a member of Hope2SleepGuide
Jun 14
Sleep2snore replied to Bethany's discussion Help for the hubby
"The two things that come to mind is diabetes and low blood pressure.  Though I think they would have checked for diabetes, a sudden drop in blood pressure is more difficult to catch.  Has he had his heart checked?  Also there is a…"
Jun 12
Bethany replied to Bethany's discussion Help for the hubby
"Thank you for the welcome.  It can get very frustrating, especially when we hear stories like yours with a very long fight before getting any actual diagnosis. We have feeling that we are also going to be on a very long road before we find…"
Jun 8
Bethany replied to Bethany's discussion Help for the hubby
"His CPAP machine is currently set at 7.5cmph, it was originally a little lower but after his check up they advised to increase it. He has follow ups with a sleep doctor every 3 months for the first year (unless we are having problems then we can go…"
Jun 8
Vivienne Roberts added 2 discussions to the group Buy-Sell-Swap
Jun 6
Vivienne Roberts joined The SleepGuide Crew's group
Jun 6
Sleep2snore replied to Mags's discussion What is a good oxygen Oximeter
"You should have got the manual with the Airsense 10 Autoset? If you didn't get it AIRSENSE RANGE MANUAL . pdf"
Jun 6
Sleep2snore replied to Chris Vesey's discussion What pressures?
"I hope they set the low pressure up and that it is not left 4 to 20. I find a lot of people is given machines set up like this and that is not really good. It is not recommended that you shift the pressures on an NHS machine, the clinic will not be…"
Jun 6
Sleep2snore replied to Bethany's discussion Help for the hubby
"Is it a CPAP machine with a fixed pressure he has? It might be that a fixed pressure machine is not the right one for him or he may have a complicated Sleep Apnoea, in other words there are other things going on other than just his throat…"
Jun 6
Kath Hope replied to Chris Vesey's discussion What pressures?
"Hi Chris I think you mean 'APAP' rather than 'acap' and if so, it will have automatic pressures.  It's not really recommended to alter your own pressures, and people only usually do that in desperation if they…"
Jun 6
Kath Hope replied to Bethany's discussion Help for the hubby
"Welcome to our forum Bethany, but so sorry to read of what you're both going through.  Glad your husband's severe sleep apnoea got picked up finally and at least you know he's on good treatment for that.  However, it's…"
Jun 6
Profile IconVivienne Roberts, Bethany and Andrew Woo joined Hope2SleepGuide
Jun 6
Bethany posted a discussion

Help for the hubby

Hello everyone, I am hoping that maybe someone out there has been through what my husband is currently having to deal with. Three years ago my husband randomly collapsed at his place of work (hes an engineer and works with machinery so naturally him…See More
Jun 5
Chris Vesey posted a discussion

What pressures?

Hi,I was given my resmed airsense 10 by the hospital and instructed in its use. At no time were pressures mentioned and i have read of people altering the pressures. As mine is an acap does this mean that the pressure is set automatically by the…See More
Jun 4
Mags updated their profile
Jun 4
Mags replied to Mags's discussion What is a good oxygen Oximeter
"Thanks Kath Will have a look in the morning and let you know"
Jun 4
Kath Hope replied to Mags's discussion What is a good oxygen Oximeter
"The Airsense Autoset does show the data in you look in the 'Sleep Report' section on your screen you can then scroll down to AHI and should also be able to see leakage.  If you can't see the AHI then it means the hospital have…"
Jun 4
Mags replied to Mags's discussion What is a good oxygen Oximeter
"The Machine is Res Med AirSense 10 AutoSet"
Jun 3

© 2018   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service