Hope2SleepGuide

Sleep Apnoea Forum Bringing Help + Support to the Patient

Hi everyone,

I've used Hope2Sleep charity several times in the past to buy CPA related stuff, including masks and other things.

I was thinking of buying a Medistrom Pilot 12 that should be compatible with my Devilbiss SleepCube - as my current Tracer battery is dying and the 96Wh model has been out of stock forever.

However, I can't understand how I can use the Medistrom with the SleepCube: the SleepCube comes with no power adapter/supply but only with a cable that goes directly from the socket into the machine, and for sure doesn't fit the Medistrom.

From what I see, the additional cable to be purchased is to connect the Medistrom to SleepCube, not the socket to the Medistrom: so how would I give power to the Medistrom?

Thanks in advance for any clarification.

HL

Views: 736

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Halfluke. These Pilot-12 and Pilot-24 Lites are brilliant, but believe me I've got confused myself with all the different leads. I'll try to explain here, but if I haven't done a good job and you're still struggling then call John at the charity on Tuesday (only because Monday is going to be very very busy for him with the weekend orders) on 01482 374181.

So, the additional cable kit needed for the DeVilbiss Sleep Cube and DeVilbiss Blue (known as IntelliPAP1 and IntelliPAP2 in the USA) is P12MXDPLK and the lead you can see on the left in the image below is the 'charging converter cable.' One end goes into the battery and then the adapter that goes into the back of your DeVilbiss machine normally, instead plugs into the other end of that converter cable and you then plug the other end into the mains power as you usually would, except this is now going to charge the battery.

I hope my explanation helps and if you go back to our website there's a good video Medistrom have done https://www.hope2sleep.co.uk/cpap-battery-flight-approved-with-back...

We are also setting up a battery hire system which will be available in the next few days for people who only require occasionally battery use, although if needing batteries often then it would be more cost effective to purchase a battery. The other great feature with these is that you can use them at home as UPS (uninterruptible power supply) so that if the battery is plugged in when using mains power, if there happens to be a power cut the battery will kick in and take over powering the CPAP machine with no interruption to CPAP therapy.

Hi Kath,

yes, I have googled quite a lot and I've come across the same conclusion: the cable on the left is the one that should "adapt" the Sleepcube power cable to the power input port of the Medistrom. It' just that... it doesn't seem to fit.

I'm uploading a pic of my cable... it really doesn't seem to fit, but perhaps the cable picture doesn't do it justice.

Thank you

Sorry for the delay Halfluke, but I've been trying to find an image of the full SleepCube cable (the bit that goes into the back of the machine) as I can see the other end of yours isn't a UK 3-pin plug. The only image I have (which we sell at the charity) is the power supply for the newer DeVilbiss Blue machine. I've attached at image of that one, so can you tell me if the adapter end is the same which plugs into your actual SleepCube? That's the part where the charging connector goes. If not, can you take an image of the part that goes into the back of your machine. I used the SleepCube myself many many years ago, but can't remember what it's like.

halfluke said:

Hi Kath,

yes, I have googled quite a lot and I've come across the same conclusion: the cable on the left is the one that should "adapt" the Sleepcube power cable to the power input port of the Medistrom. It' just that... it doesn't seem to fit.

I'm uploading a pic of my cable... it really doesn't seem to fit, but perhaps the cable picture doesn't do it justice.

Thank you

That's the problem Kath.

The original SleepCube (IntelliPap 1) does not come with a power supply at all. The cable I showed goes directly into the back of the machine. My machine was bought in Italy but I simply use a socket adapter for the country where I am in.

The back of the SleepCube also has a 12V DC entry that can be used with a cigarette lighter cable. That is what I use(d) with the Tracer battery, but the Tracer battery comes with its own power supply!

Please see picture attached of the old SleepCube.

Hi again Halfluke

This is indeed a challenge, but I'm glad this issue came up even if you don't end up purchasing the Pilot-12 as it's important that we get to the bottom of this as there are a lot of UK sleep clinics that have patients on the SleepCube. I even managed to find my own SleepCube from years ago stored at the charity so we had a good play around today. What we hadn't realised ourselves is that the input adapter that goes into the back of the SleepCube (known as IntelliPAP in the USA) isn't the same as the DeVilbiss Blue (IntelliPAP2 in USA). So what we did was to charge the Pilot-12 battery and then realised we still didn't know how to connect the Pilot-12 to the SleepCube to use it as a battery!

We're going to contact the manufacturer who are very helpful and as soon as we have the answer we'll get back to you.

halfluke said:

That's the problem Kath.

The original SleepCube (IntelliPap 1) does not come with a power supply at all. The cable I showed goes directly into the back of the machine. My machine was bought in Italy but I simply use a socket adapter for the country where I am in.

The back of the SleepCube also has a 12V DC entry that can be used with a cigarette lighter cable. That is what I use(d) with the Tracer battery, but the Tracer battery comes with its own power supply!

Thank you Kath.

Well, I don't think the problem is between the Pilot12 and the SleepCube, you should be able to connect it with one of the Output adapters of the P12MXDPLK kit to the 12vDC entry of the old SleepCube (see my pic: the round entry)

The problem is how to charge the Pilot12 if you can't use the (old) SleepCube power cable - as neither the Pilot12 nor the old SleepCube come with a power supply...

How did you charge your Pilot12 in your test today?

Kath Hope said:

Hi again Halfluke

This is indeed a challenge, but I'm glad this issue came up even if you don't end up purchasing the Pilot-12 as it's important that we get to the bottom of this as there are a lot of UK sleep clinics that have patients on the SleepCube. I even managed to find my own SleepCube from years ago stored at the charity so we had a good play around today. What we hadn't realised ourselves is that the input adapter that goes into the back of the SleepCube (known as IntelliPAP in the USA) isn't the same as the DeVilbiss Blue (IntelliPAP2 in USA). So what we did was to charge the Pilot-12 battery and then realised we still didn't know how to connect the Pilot-12 to the SleepCube to use it as a battery!

We're going to contact the manufacturer who are very helpful and as soon as we have the answer we'll get back to you.

halfluke said:

That's the problem Kath.

Ah that's interesting Halfluke. I was only at the charity when it was being charged, and for that we used the power supply that I posted an image of a day or so ago from the DeVilbiss Blue (IntelliPAP 2), but I'd left when it was time to try the battery with the SleepCube that you have so am only repeating that part that John said to me :) The Pilot batteries are still relatively new to us at the charity so we're having to learn as we go along. This still leaves the problem though of being able to charge the Pilot-12 with your SleepCube to save having to take extra leads, so I'm still going to contact the manufacturer. In fact it might be easier to give a link to this post on the forum lol.  

There is a power supply available though for the batteries but we haven't got it listed as a separate item as Medistrom only do it with a 2-pin USA plug so it would also need a UK adapter. It is needed though for patients using the DreamStation Go travel machine with the Pilot-24 so we have it available as an extra for them at £39 with the leads for the DreamStation Go and BMC Luna as it's needed with that one as well.  I'll post a pic....

I'll reach out to ChoiceOne but there will be a short delay due to our different timezones, but they'll get back to us as soon as they can.

halfluke said:

Thank you Kath.

Well, I don't think the problem is between the Pilot12 and the SleepCube, you should be able to connect it with one of the Output adapters of the P12MXDPLK kit to the 12vDC entry of the old SleepCube (see my pic: the round entry)

The problem is how to charge the Pilot12 if you can't use the (old) SleepCube power cable - as neither the Pilot12 nor the old SleepCube come with a power supply...

How did you charge your Pilot12 in your test today?

Kath Hope said:

Hi again Halfluke

halfluke said:

That's the problem Kath.

Thank you.

I have a feeling that the answer will be that the owners of the first model of the SleepCube will have to buy the power supply of the Blue (newer model).

I found the following picture that makes me think that the cable provided with the old SleepCube fits into the power supply of the Blue, and from there you can reach the PILOT12 and then the DC12v round entry of the machine

The supply for DreamStation Go and BMC Luna may fit BUT it's for the PILOT24, not for the PILOT12: boom! :-)

I've sent an email Halfluke so we should hear back soon to solve this issue. I can't see the product code on the back of your image, but is it DV63D-613 which is for the DeVilbiss Blue (IntelliPAP 2). To my knowledge all SleepCube's (IntelliPAP 1) have the same power supply as yours as there was only one edition, and the change to the power supply came with the IntelliPAP2 (DeVilbiss Blue) - it would be easier if all countries called the machines the same lol. 

halfluke said:

Thank you.

I have a feeling that the answer will be that the owners of the first model of the SleepCube will have to buy the power supply of the Blue (newer model).

I found the following picture that makes me think that the cable provided with the old SleepCube fits into the power supply of the Blue, and from there you can reach the PILOT12 and then the DC12v round entry of the machine

The supply for DreamStation Go and BMC Luna may fit BUT it's for the PILOT24, not for the PILOT12: boom! :-)

yes, it is a picture I found for the  DV63D-613 which is for the DeVilbiss Blue (IntelliPAP 2).

What I'm thinking is that perhaps owners of the IntelliPAP 1 should use the IntelliPAP1 cable + the DV63D-613 for the IntelliPAP 2 (to be bought separately), to be able to charge the PILOT12

Hi again Halfluke

I heard back from Choice One yesterday like I knew I would as their support is fantastic, and we've heard back from them today with further help. However, I wanted us to physically test everything out before confirming to you.. I showed them your post on this public forum and they commented that you definitely appear to understand the products well :) 

So we've learnt (thanks to your questions) that you're right.....the easiest way is to purchase the IntelliPAP2 power supply (known as DeVilbiss Blue in the UK) and that worked perfectly to charge the Pilot-12 Lite battery. Just in case you want one I'm linking to it although it's not cheap and we only have 2 left (we'll need one of them for our rental service) https://www.hope2sleep.co.uk/devilbiss-blue-power-supply-65w.html The bad news is that due to DriveDeVilbiss now not manufacturing CPAP machines they've told us they can't supply is with anymore IntelliPAP power supplies :(  The solution when we have no IntelliPAP2 power supplies left is for us to order the Medistrom Power Supply I pictured above at £39. What Choice One said is that it will be fine to charge the Pilot-12 Battery, but because it's really meant for the Pilot-24 batteries then it won't be able to be used as UPS back-up battery. I have asked if they may bring out one in the future that can and await a reply about that.

Now the other thing that we discovered is that the charging converter cable in the mixed pack is not needed with either the IntelliPAP 1 or IntelliPAP 2, but the output cables in the P12MXDPLK pack are needed for using the battery to power the CPAP machines.

We're actually grateful you brought this up, because although DeVilbiss no longer make CPAP machines, there are 1000's of patients in the UK who will still be using their IntelliPAP1 (SleepCube) CPAP's for several years to come, and will no doubt want to either purchase or rent the batteries.

halfluke said:

yes, it is a picture I found for the  DV63D-613 which is for the DeVilbiss Blue (IntelliPAP 2).

What I'm thinking is that perhaps owners of the IntelliPAP 1 should use the IntelliPAP1 cable + the DV63D-613 for the IntelliPAP 2 (to be bought separately), to be able to charge the PILOT12

Wow, thank you for the thorough explanation.

I didn't know that DeVilbiss stopped making CPAP machines... I recently bought a spare refurbished SleepCube (1) as the simplest and cheapest option considering I already own a Tracer battery... just to find out that my battery is dying (my fault for not recharging it often) and that the 96KW model is out of stock.

The Medistrom looks a good alternative, but considering that I would have to buy extra cables + Medistrom Power Supply, it's a pity it can't be used as an UPS (with the Medistrom Power Supply).

Let me rush to buy the last IntelliPAP2 Power Supply available you've got :)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Sleep Apnoea Forum

New to the Sleep Apnoea Forum? 

1. Stop by our Sleep Apnoea Welcome Center to introduce yourself to the SleepGuide community.
2. Start a New Topic of Conversation.
3. Post your photos - of yourself, your old CPAP machine, your new CPAP machine, your pet, something about you!

Interested in advertising, have a problem or need to contact us? Click the Report an Issue page.

Latest Activity

Jonathan replied to John's discussion Airsense 10 -humidifier runs dry
"I did replace the tank in my SleepCube, and had to regularly take the silicone sealing gasket out and give it a goof clean, but not infrequently found it standing in a pool of water in the morning.  The machine sat on a tray because of…"
Tuesday
John posted a discussion

Nasal valve collapse

Does anyone have any experience of nasal valve collapse?Wondering if I have this but I don't know what the norm is.Been trying widgets that hold the nose open and it's like night and day.See More
Sunday
John replied to John's discussion Airsense 10 -humidifier runs dry
"Wow it's the other way round for me.I found with the Sleepcube I'd often have a good bit of water still there in the morning. Today I woke up with a dry tank on the Resmed again and it's not on full heat or flow. I got it on 6…"
Sunday
Becky Murkin posted a discussion

F20 AirFit small marking bridge of nose

Please help or give advice all wise people on here.I have had the Resmed F20 AirFit small mask for over a month. Seals yet…See More
Mar 19
Frances Knight replied to Frances Knight's discussion Air Sense 10 - changing pressure settings
"A very helpful reply Jonathan. I found the pressure setting for the full face mask to be too high when I changed to a nasal mask, but perhaps I should have persisted? I'll try again and I'll also discuss with the clinic whether an APAP…"
Mar 13
Jonathan replied to Frances Knight's discussion Air Sense 10 - changing pressure settings
"Ramble alert!  My history is that I spent part of each week at a different location, so bought a second machine identical to my fixed pressure NHS machine and set it up to match using the clinician menu.  This was a very long time…"
Mar 12
Frances Knight replied to Frances Knight's discussion Air Sense 10 - changing pressure settings
"Thanks Jonathan - I had seen the YouTube video. My question is really about the experience of people who have control of their pressure settings, for example those people who have bought their machines directly and not obtained them through an NHS…"
Mar 12
Jonathan replied to Frances Knight's discussion Air Sense 10 - changing pressure settings
"This is NOT a recommendation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNUWhd2UgQM"
Mar 11
Frances Knight posted a discussion

Air Sense 10 - changing pressure settings

I have been successfully using my air sense 10 since OSA diagnosis, and my AHI is now under 2. I had an appointment with my clinic this week and have been told there is no need for further appointments and just to contact them if I need supplies or…See More
Mar 11
Swen Greve is now a member of Hope2SleepGuide
Mar 4
Jonathan replied to Sue Reeves's discussion A few questions..
"If you have a helpful GP, I would ask them to re-refer you to the sleep clinic."
Mar 3
Sue Reeves posted a discussion

A few questions..

A quick bit of backgroundDiagnosed with OSA about 7/8 years ago by my local sleep clinic and given a F &P Icon CPAP.  After a couple of follow-up appts to sort out any issues, I was sent on my merry way. I have had no further face to face…See More
Mar 3
Jonathan replied to John's discussion Airsense 10 -humidifier runs dry
"I previously had a DeVilbiss Sleepcube and the dehumidifier did sometimes run dry.  On the other hand I now have an AirSense 10 and it never runs dry, and I've had the humidity turned up high."
Feb 26
John posted a discussion

Airsense 10 -humidifier runs dry

Hi. I'm finding the Airsense 10 the hospital gave me, the humidifier chamber runs dry. It's not even on max settings, which I'm guessing would empty it a lot quicker. Seems like a big design oversight to me. Does anyone else have this trouble? The…See More
Feb 26
David Hudson posted a discussion

Decline in hearing

HiI have regular, well yearly check ups at work. One being a hearing test. Since having my cpap machine my hearing has declined rapidly in 1 ear.....could this be as a result of pressure? I believe I'm on 15cm p max h2o. I just use a nasal…See More
Feb 26
Profile Icontim richards, mark & les, Lesley Parks and 1 more joined Hope2SleepGuide
Feb 13
Jenny Wren replied to Jenny Wren's discussion Feeling Abandoned by the Sleep Clinic
"I've got lucky! I can collect a new machine next week. It's been really helpful to 'speak' to people here and to Kath. It alerted me to the fact that I'd slipped through the net. The clinic were very apologetic and now all…"
Feb 8
Ejog1 replied to Jenny Wren's discussion Feeling Abandoned by the Sleep Clinic
"Thanks. Good news for me today, my clinic did finally reply to me and they’re giving me a new machine. The person I spoke to was super helpful. The NHS clinics are great when you’re able to speak to them, but they seem to be…"
Feb 7
Jenny Wren replied to Jenny Wren's discussion Feeling Abandoned by the Sleep Clinic
"Yes, my machine is affected. Seems I slipped through the net. I'm now on the sleep clinic's radar again and am hopeful that this will be sorted soon. Thanks for your reply and stay well."
Feb 7
"I'm sorry to hear that. I emailed Kath about this and she was very helpful. She advised me to get in touch with my sleep clinic and I have had a reply from them. I so hope that you get a response soon."
Feb 7

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service