Hope2SleepGuide

Sleep Apnoea Forum Bringing Help + Support to the Patient

Hi i hope i'm asking the right question , Please i want to know what to do , My General Practitioner who deals with my General Heath is trying to stop another Dr i go to For Mental Heath from putting me on Melatonin , I'm having no problem's at all with my Cpap , but i can't sleep and the Dr has wrote to my General Doctor to put me on Melatonin , 

My normal GP has already stopped it once why he don't say , but the Mental Health Dr is going to try to get me back on them , he say's it will help me sleep and shouldn't interfere with my Apnea ,

So what i am asking please will the Melatonin be harmful with me being on Cpap at all , and which Dr do you think is right , i'm so confused with the whole thing , I would be Grateful for some input on this Please , Thankyou ,  

Views: 177

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It may be that your GP is not happy with prescribing it for due to other medications you take Ian.  Melatonin only has one brand approved in the UK (forgotten which one) and is not commonly prescribed here.  In fact if you read up on Melatonin on the NHS website you'll see it is only recommended short-term http://www.nhs.uk/medicine-guides/pages/MedicineOverview.aspx?condi...

Perhaps you would be wise to speak with your sleep doctor on this matter too.

Hi Kath thank you once again for your Help , ian

You're very welcome Ian, and hope you can soon overcome your sleep issues.  I'm sure you've already tried this, but does it help to read with your mask on?  I find reading a light-hearted book helps me get to sleep, but I always read with the mask on or I'd waken myself up too much if I put it on later.

ianmcnamara said:

Hi Kath thank you once again for your Help , ian

i am on citalapram

and was asked 

am i suicidal before it was prescribed

that was 5 or 6 years ago

99 said:

i am on citalapram

Hi 99 , My GP has put me back on Melatonin after my Other Dr wrote to him telling him to put me back on them , i picked them up today , Thank you for your Reply , Ian 

st johns wort and citalapram do not mix

i was prescribed citalapram for depressiion

99 said:

ianmcnamara said: Hi 99 , i'm on a couple of med's for Depression , But my sleeping is bad , i used to be on Zopiclone to help me but my GP wanted me off that one , so i asked the Mental health Team what to do they put me on a month's supply of Melatonin but my GP never wanted me on them at all , , but my Mental Health Dr wrote to my GP telling him to put me back on it , which i am glad of the help it does , other wise i got no problem's with my CPAP at all , so i'm hoping to get a goodnight's sleep , i thank you for your request of a friend i'm always about if you want to chat , Ian 

99 said:

the best meds for depression is sunlight at least 1 hour summer and two hours winter,letting the light strike the eyes without glass or glasses on or between your eyes

99 said:

St John wort should never be used if you are on anti-depressant as they can be so so dangerous to mix both together.  It does say DONT USE St Johns Wort with them.  Here is a link to a University of Maryland Medical Center: http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/herb-interaction/possible-inte...

It shows that St Johns Wort causes too many problems to use safely  

Dee.

Thank you both , iv'e never used St John's Wort , Ever ?????????? Melatonin isn't St Johns Wort is it ????????? 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Sleep Apnoea Forum

New to the Sleep Apnoea Forum? 

1. Stop by our Sleep Apnoea Welcome Center to introduce yourself to the SleepGuide community.
2. Start a New Topic of Conversation.
3. Post your photos - of yourself, your old CPAP machine, your new CPAP machine, your pet, something about you!

Interested in advertising, have a problem or need to contact us? Click the Report an Issue page.

Latest Activity

John Wilkinson replied to John Wilkinson's discussion I've 'hit a wall' can any body help me?
"Thanks for your advice. I really appreciate your help. I wasn't aware that there different types of apnoeas. I will be seeing the sleep nurse next week. I will keep you informed. John "
Thursday
John Wilkinson replied to John Wilkinson's discussion I've 'hit a wall' can any body help me?
"Thanks for that Kath. I am due to see the sleep clinic next week. Hopefully they will re-adjust the pressure. I will keep you informed. John"
Thursday
Edam replied to Edam's discussion Double inhaling
"I have read that APAP machines are not suitable for people with Asthma and give the same problems that I have been having. I am now having to use twice the dose of steriods just to keep the APAP happy If I can ever get in touch with my hospital I…"
Thursday
Kath Hope replied to Chris Vesey's discussion Medistron batteries
"Thanks Chris and we certainly are doing our homework Sleep2Snore.  Our charity work hard to get the right products at the right price for our fellow sufferers, and we have lots of loyal customers who purchase from us both to support the charity…"
Thursday
Kath Hope replied to John Wilkinson's discussion I've 'hit a wall' can any body help me?
"Sorry to hear after a good start you've taken a step backwards, and it could well be due to the reduction in pressure.  We don't recommend adjusting pressures but you're right to contact your hospital who will probably re-adjust…"
Thursday
Sleep2snore replied to John Wilkinson's discussion I've 'hit a wall' can any body help me?
"They have reduced it to far.  The max was 16, they should have left the machine at 18 if it is an APAP (automatic pressure) if it is a CPAP you have now same applies.  However, it might not be quite that straight forward as that as the…"
Wednesday
John Wilkinson posted a discussion

I've 'hit a wall' can any body help me?

I was diagnosed with severe OSA in November and I have been using a Philips Respironics CPAP machine and full face mask from early December up to now (about 5 months). My HPI's went down from 44 to about  14 in about 10 weeks and I was feeling much…See More
Wednesday
Sleep2snore replied to Chris Vesey's discussion Medistron batteries
"They are very costly things to have sitting around to go wrong or if you forget to charge them by their date. You could try to see if they will do it on a sale or return basis, them you could keep one or two.  However, I think most are ordering…"
Tuesday
Chris Vesey replied to Chris Vesey's discussion Medistron batteries
"Hi, I see from medistrom website they are looking for dealers, is it worth considering Kath"
Tuesday
Sleep2snore replied to Chris Vesey's discussion Medistron batteries
"I wish the ResMed was 12Vdc, it would make life a lot easier. I wonder why they need 24Vdc anyway? My APAP is not mine to and see why it has to be 24Vdc! I don't think the clinic might be to impressed if I opened it for a look. "
Monday
Sleep2snore replied to Edam's discussion Double inhaling
"I would like to see how the hospital is going to explain that your Apnoea is getting worse with an AHU of 0. That is almost incompetent. It might also be that it is not straight forward Sleep Apnoea you have and might benefit from an advanced…"
Monday
"hi, just looked on internet, it seems that medistrom may not have a dealer in the uk but a company called sleep tight advertise the pilot 24 for £345, don't know about the co pilot. The very expensive one on amazon comes from Israel, good…"
May 13
"hi, at the time amazon were selling the pilot for £285 and the co pilot for £137, gone up a lot since then chris"
May 13
"I have read that if you have Asthma a CPAP is better than a APAP  When the APAP increases the pressure it makes the asthma worse and then the APAP increases the pressure again which makes the asthma even worse ..... This is exactly whats…"
May 13
Kath Hope replied to Chris Vesey's discussion Medistron batteries
"Chris why did you purchase Medistrom as opposed to the Resmed battery?  Don't get me wrong as I've heard great things about the Medistrom and recommended it myself to people, but looking at the prices it seems just as or even more…"
May 13
Chris Vesey posted a discussion

Medistron batteries

Hi,I bought a pilot and co pilot set up a few months ago and have recently been trying them out. I have found by trial and error the following,First switch off all humidifiers etc.Switch to airplane mode, this reduces the amount of battery power…See More
May 13
Emma Bennett is now a member of Hope2SleepGuide
May 13
Chris Vesey replied to Helen Page's discussion Another newbie with a gazillion questions
"Hi, I informed the dvla by post using the relevant form they sent me. When the form arrived i was warned that i needed to return it within 14 days! As it takes a week for any dvla letter to arrive i was not amused. Even though i had started…"
May 12
"You are right about needing the extra humidity. Its been very dry lately , I measured it at 39%RH,  so I will start to us the "Warm Up" on the H5i to get the humidity up straight away On my last visit to the hospital I was told that…"
May 11
Sleep2snore replied to Edam's discussion Double inhaling
"It is a machine and if you have COPD and suffer from hay fever and asthma it will cause problems that you will have to find a work around for.  Looks like you have already found one that helps. It is very much a case of experiment and see. "
May 11

© 2018   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service