Hope2SleepGuide

Sleep Apnoea Forum Bringing Help + Support to the Patient

Welcome to our Forum - Feel Free to Introduce Yourself Here.

Welcome to the Hope2SleepGuide Forum, which is a service run by the Hope2Sleep Charity founded by Kath Hope with a marvellous team of trustees and volunteers. 

Kath herself has severe sleep apnoea and hypoventilation/hypercapnia, and has used CPAP for several years and is now on non-invasive ventilation.  Our trustees and volunteers are all either sufferers of sleep disordered breathing or clinicians/medics working in this field, and most importantly, we are all passionate in supporting (with empathy) others and raising awareness to help people live healthier and more energised lives.

 

Whilst we do not give medical advice, more often than not, with support, tips and knowledge, people can overcome any problems experienced with our therapy, and there is a whole page dedicated to this on the website http://www.hope2sleep.co.uk/tips-for-problems-sleeping-with-cpap-or...

 

Please come and join us, and don’t feel obligated to use your ‘real’ name if you prefer to remain anonymous as this is a public forum.  Don’t be shy in posting and sharing, as we’re all in this together and to help each other.

Best Wishes for good sleep!

Kath

Views: 7999

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

many thanks Kevin it looks like I'm in for an interesting few months

Kevin Morgan said:

Hi Rob, Im in Wales so the hosptial arrangements are a little different. I had a home overnight test which confirmed the suspected diagnosis then they loaned me a machine that automaticall varies the pressure. finally they loaned me a machine that is of fixed pressure set right for me. I will say that the results were nearly immediate with me feeling so much better.

The consultant and the technician made it abundently clear that I MUST inform the DVLA at that time once I had a track record of good compliance of treatment. They strongly implied that were I to have an accident there was little chance that the insurance whould pay and a could face a criminal charge too.

I imformed the DVLA and recieved a form to complete, once returned the DVLA contacted my consultant to check my compliance (75% and above rings a bell, but I'm at near 100% having only missed two night cos aof a stinker of a cold) and my insurance. There was no additional premium and no restrictions on my driving.


Good Luck

Rob I imagine that you are like most of us were prior to treatment, ie. always shattered and in a brain fog.  For me the mask was and is an unpleasant feeling but it is far outweighed by the almost instant lifting of the fog and new energy.  Stick with it.

You have not said your age or whether you are married, but for me one incidental positive has been the ceasing of the snoring, which my wife appreciates a lot, and I no longer get the jab in the ribs.  The downside is the mask vents air in a constant draft. so if im facing her she gets a blast of cold air, which prompts a thump

hi Kevin yes I do snore a lot at the moment and can fall asleep if watching the television I am 65 and retired thankfully I am also diabetic so already have to manage a long term condition. because I am what's called a silver surfer i still have not got to grips with the working of the site and would find a help section if there is one helpful. i am not sure if i am starting a thread correctly any help would be appreciated. thanks bob.

Hi Robert, welcome to the forum.

Nothing wrong with silver surfers.

Just use common sense when surfing. 

Hi Robert

Welcome to the forum and don't worry about where you post.  If you do want to start any new discussions, just click on the 'Sleep Apnoea Forum' and  then use the +ADD button for new ones.  The forum can be a bit confusing, and I'd started to write instructions, but abandoned it because this platform is costing us a fair wack so we'll be moving to a new one in the future.

Good luck at your appointment tomorrow, and the most important thing for you to be considering before you go is whether you are a mouth breather or not during sleep so that the clinic supply you with a suitable mask.

You know doubt know that diabetes and sleep apnoea are hugely linked, and many people find that when their sleep apnoea is treated they also get improvements to the diabetes.

ROBERT O'BRIEN said:

thanks Kath for the kind welcome I think I am a nose breather or that seems to be what I am doing whilst falling asleep, but I must change to my mouth when asleep as the wife says I am snoring very loudly of late.  snoring is becoming a bit of a problem lately so I am hoping for a quickish resolution for that problem. otherwise after 46 years of marriage I could end up in the divorce courts lol. when I get the official diagnosis tomorrow I intend to stop driving immediately and let my wife take over i will of course inform my insurance that my wife will be the only driver on a temporary basis i am sure they will want to adjust the premium upwards no doubt. but still not sure when to let DVLA know your views would be appreciated, because my job was an hgv driver but as soon as I informed them of me going onto insulin last year they immediately withdrew my licence hence me retiring earlier than I had intended. but I must admit since being on insulin I am managing my diabetes much better. and finally Kath where is the add button you talked about on the page, is it the add reply coloured blue.

Kath Hope said:

Hi Robert

Welcome to the forum and don't worry about where you post.  If you do want to start any new discussions, just click on the 'Sleep Apnoea Forum' and  then use the +ADD button for new ones.  The forum can be a bit confusing, and I'd started to write instructions, but abandoned it because this platform is costing us a fair wack so we'll be moving to a new one in the future.

Good luck at your appointment tomorrow, and the most important thing for you to be considering before you go is whether you are a mouth breather or not during sleep so that the clinic supply you with a suitable mask.

You know doubt know that diabetes and sleep apnoea are hugely linked, and many people find that when their sleep apnoea is treated they also get improvements to the diabetes.

ROBERT O'BRIEN said:


If you catch this email in time, ask your wife tonight (before the divorce too lol) to see if she can observe you sleeping to check if you're mouth breathing or not, as we don't really know what we're doing in our sleep.  Having said that, some people can train themselves to breathe through their noses if they get put on a nasal mask.  I was wondering about whether you could with you having nasal issues.  I've been on CPAP for years and definitely can't nose breathe!

You're doing the right thing by not driving until you're on good CPAP therapy.  The DVLA has recently changed their rules (Nov 2017) and here's an image to help you and the clinic will advise you tomorrow as well:-

Regarding your last question, here's another image showing how to add a new discussion:-

Good luck tomorrow, and start a new discussion if you need any help after your appointment
ROBERT O'BRIEN said:

thanks Kath for the kind welcome I think I am a nose breather or that seems to be what I am doing whilst falling asleep, but I must change to my mouth when asleep as the wife says I am snoring very loudly of late.  snoring is becoming a bit of a problem lately so I am hoping for a quickish resolution for that problem. otherwise after 46 years of marriage I could end up in the divorce courts lol. when I get the official diagnosis tomorrow I intend to stop driving immediately and let my wife take over i will of course inform my insurance that my wife will be the only driver on a temporary basis i am sure they will want to adjust the premium upwards no doubt. but still not sure when to let DVLA know your views would be appreciated, because my job was an hgv driver but as soon as I informed them of me going onto insulin last year they immediately withdrew my licence hence me retiring earlier than I had intended. but I must admit since being on insulin I am managing my diabetes much better. and finally Kath where is the add button you talked about on the page, is it the add reply coloured blue.

Kath Hope said:

Hi Robert

Welcome to the forum and don't worry about where you post.  If you do want to start any new discussions, just click on the 'Sleep Apnoea Forum' and  then use the +ADD button for new ones.  The forum can be a bit confusing, and I'd started to write instructions, but abandoned it because this platform is costing us a fair wack so we'll be moving to a new one in the future.

Good luck at your appointment tomorrow, and the most important thing for you to be considering before you go is whether you are a mouth breather or not during sleep so that the clinic supply you with a suitable mask.

You know doubt know that diabetes and sleep apnoea are hugely linked, and many people find that when their sleep apnoea is treated they also get improvements to the diabetes.

ROBERT O'BRIEN said:

thanks Kath for the kind welcome I think I am a nose breather or that seems to be what I am doing whilst falling asleep, but I must change to my mouth when asleep as the wife says I am snoring very loudly of late.  snoring is becoming a bit of a problem lately so I am hoping for a quickish resolution for that problem. otherwise after 46 years of marriage I could end up in the divorce courts lol. when I get the official diagnosis tomorrow I intend to stop driving immediately and let my wife take over but still not sure when to let DVLA know your views would be appreciated, because my job was an hgv driver but as soon as I informed them of me going onto insulin last year they immediately withdrew my licence hence me retiring earlier than I had intended. but I must admit since being on insulin I am managing my diabetes much better. and finally Kath where is the add button you talked about on the page.

Kath Hope said:

Hi Robert

Welcome to the forum and don't worry about where you post.  If you do want to start any new discussions, just click on the 'Sleep Apnoea Forum' and  then use the +ADD button for new ones.  The forum can be a bit confusing, and I'd started to write instructions, but abandoned it because this platform is costing us a fair wack so we'll be moving to a new one in the future.

Good luck at your appointment tomorrow, and the most important thing for you to be considering before you go is whether you are a mouth breather or not during sleep so that the clinic supply you with a suitable mask.

You know doubt know that diabetes and sleep apnoea are hugely linked, and many people find that when their sleep apnoea is treated they also get improvements to the diabetes.

ROBERT O'BRIEN said:

hi Kath

 I have my diagnosis today I have an AH I of 60.5 , they have given me a machine to try overnight then they will check the readings tomorrow. then if I get on with the machine tonight they will give me a new one to use tomorrow. my insurance have been ok as my wife is a named driver on my policy there's no extra charge. the hospital are alright with me letting DVLA know when I have compliant readings. so all is good so long as I can master the machine. thanks Bob O'Brien.

Wow!  That's certainly severe sleep apnoea Robert, so it's good it's been picked up in you.  By hook or by crook you'll get on ok with the machine, as your health with vastly improve when you're compliant.  One night isn't long to get into CPAP, but go to this link on our website and read the article for people new to it http://www.hope2sleep.co.uk/desensitisation-tips-for-new-cpap-and-v... and definitely try it before bedtime.

ROBERT O'BRIEN said:

hi Kath

 I have my diagnosis today I have an AH I of 60.5 , they have given me a machine to try overnight then they will check the readings tomorrow. then if I get on with the machine tonight they will give me a new one to use tomorrow. my insurance have been ok as my wife is a named driver on my policy there's no extra charge. the hospital are alright with me letting DVLA know when I have compliant readings. so all is good so long as I can master the machine. thanks Bob O'Brien.

Hi all,

thanks for adding me. I am in my mid 40s and have been diagnosed with light sleep apnea. I think I have had it since about 2010, with the usual symptoms - feel tired waking up, brain fog during the day and often feel too sleepy after work not to go to bed... The NHS gave me a Resmed Airsense 10 on an auto setting to go home and see how it goes. So far I am not using it as much as I should (go to bed with it, wake up after 2-4 hours, take it off). The reason is that the mask is not very comfortable (F&P Simplus size L - the nurse tried a smaller one earlier, but it barely covered my nose. :)) - it feels a bit small (if I move it up all the way to the top of my nose bridge it rests on my lower lip), but the main issue it that my face feels numb under it after wearing it a short time. I searched a bit to find others reporting numbness, but didn't find all that much. 

Is numbness normal? Should I get a bigger mask? If so, which ones are bigger? Would a gel cushion help? Would the NHS provide what I ask for or should I buy it myself? Questions, questions - sorry about that. :D

Hi

I am not familiar with the mask in question, but some masks only need the lightest tension.  If you pull the straps tight they are more likely to leak.  I've certainly never experienced numbness - currently using a Respironics Dreamwear.

Good luck!  Stick with it.

Jonathan.

Sven Mischkies said:

Hi all,

thanks for adding me. I am in my mid 40s and have been diagnosed with light sleep apnea. I think I have had it since about 2010, with the usual symptoms - feel tired waking up, brain fog during the day and often feel too sleepy after work not to go to bed... The NHS gave me a Resmed Airsense 10 on an auto setting to go home and see how it goes. So far I am not using it as much as I should (go to bed with it, wake up after 2-4 hours, take it off). The reason is that the mask is not very comfortable (F&P Simplus size L - the nurse tried a smaller one earlier, but it barely covered my nose. :)) - it feels a bit small (if I move it up all the way to the top of my nose bridge it rests on my lower lip), but the main issue it that my face feels numb under it after wearing it a short time. I searched a bit to find others reporting numbness, but didn't find all that much. 

Is numbness normal? Should I get a bigger mask? If so, which ones are bigger? Would a gel cushion help? Would the NHS provide what I ask for or should I buy it myself? Questions, questions - sorry about that. :D

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Sleep Apnoea Forum

New to the Sleep Apnoea Forum? 

1. Stop by our Sleep Apnoea Welcome Center to introduce yourself to the SleepGuide community.
2. Start a New Topic of Conversation.
3. Post your photos - of yourself, your old CPAP machine, your new CPAP machine, your pet, something about you!

Interested in advertising, have a problem or need to contact us? Click the Report an Issue page.

 

Latest Activity

Chris Vesey replied to Chris Vesey's discussion Insurance
"Thanks"
yesterday
Kath Hope replied to Chris Vesey's discussion Insurance
"We have had confirmation several times about this in our Facebook Group from sleep technicians and nurses, who state that the machines are covered by the NHS' insurance."
yesterday
Chris Vesey posted a discussion

Insurance

Hi, Does anyone know if I need to add the breathing machine, airsense 10, to my household insurance? I don't own it but am I liable if it gets stolen or damaged,ChrisSee More
yesterday
Alison replied to Bethany's discussion Help for the hubby
"Hi Bethany, Just a suggestion but has anyone mentioned narcolepsy?"
Wednesday
Profile Iconsharon and Penny Harrison joined Hope2SleepGuide
Jun 16
jjimjam is now a member of Hope2SleepGuide
Jun 14
Sleep2snore replied to Bethany's discussion Help for the hubby
"The two things that come to mind is diabetes and low blood pressure.  Though I think they would have checked for diabetes, a sudden drop in blood pressure is more difficult to catch.  Has he had his heart checked?  Also there is a…"
Jun 12
Bethany replied to Bethany's discussion Help for the hubby
"Thank you for the welcome.  It can get very frustrating, especially when we hear stories like yours with a very long fight before getting any actual diagnosis. We have feeling that we are also going to be on a very long road before we find…"
Jun 8
Bethany replied to Bethany's discussion Help for the hubby
"His CPAP machine is currently set at 7.5cmph, it was originally a little lower but after his check up they advised to increase it. He has follow ups with a sleep doctor every 3 months for the first year (unless we are having problems then we can go…"
Jun 8
Vivienne Roberts added 2 discussions to the group Buy-Sell-Swap
Jun 6
Vivienne Roberts joined The SleepGuide Crew's group
Jun 6
Sleep2snore replied to Mags's discussion What is a good oxygen Oximeter
"You should have got the manual with the Airsense 10 Autoset? If you didn't get it AIRSENSE RANGE MANUAL . pdf"
Jun 6
Sleep2snore replied to Chris Vesey's discussion What pressures?
"I hope they set the low pressure up and that it is not left 4 to 20. I find a lot of people is given machines set up like this and that is not really good. It is not recommended that you shift the pressures on an NHS machine, the clinic will not be…"
Jun 6
Sleep2snore replied to Bethany's discussion Help for the hubby
"Is it a CPAP machine with a fixed pressure he has? It might be that a fixed pressure machine is not the right one for him or he may have a complicated Sleep Apnoea, in other words there are other things going on other than just his throat…"
Jun 6
Kath Hope replied to Chris Vesey's discussion What pressures?
"Hi Chris I think you mean 'APAP' rather than 'acap' and if so, it will have automatic pressures.  It's not really recommended to alter your own pressures, and people only usually do that in desperation if they…"
Jun 6
Kath Hope replied to Bethany's discussion Help for the hubby
"Welcome to our forum Bethany, but so sorry to read of what you're both going through.  Glad your husband's severe sleep apnoea got picked up finally and at least you know he's on good treatment for that.  However, it's…"
Jun 6
Profile IconVivienne Roberts, Bethany and Andrew Woo joined Hope2SleepGuide
Jun 6
Bethany posted a discussion

Help for the hubby

Hello everyone, I am hoping that maybe someone out there has been through what my husband is currently having to deal with. Three years ago my husband randomly collapsed at his place of work (hes an engineer and works with machinery so naturally him…See More
Jun 5
Chris Vesey posted a discussion

What pressures?

Hi,I was given my resmed airsense 10 by the hospital and instructed in its use. At no time were pressures mentioned and i have read of people altering the pressures. As mine is an acap does this mean that the pressure is set automatically by the…See More
Jun 4
Mags updated their profile
Jun 4

© 2018   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service