Hope2SleepGuide

Sleep Apnoea Forum Bringing Help + Support to the Patient

Welcome to our Forum - Feel Free to Introduce Yourself Here.

Welcome to the Hope2SleepGuide Forum, which is a service run by the Hope2Sleep Charity founded by Kath Hope with a marvellous team of trustees and volunteers. 

Kath herself has severe sleep apnoea and hypoventilation/hypercapnia, and has used CPAP for several years and is now on non-invasive ventilation.  Our trustees and volunteers are all either sufferers of sleep disordered breathing or clinicians/medics working in this field, and most importantly, we are all passionate in supporting (with empathy) others and raising awareness to help people live healthier and more energised lives.

Whilst we do not give medical advice, more often than not, with support, tips and knowledge, people can overcome any problems experienced with our therapy, and there is a whole page dedicated to this on the website http://www.hope2sleep.co.uk/tips-for-problems-sleeping-with-cpap-or...

Please come and join us, and don’t feel obligated to use your ‘real’ name if you prefer to remain anonymous as this is a public forum.  Don’t be shy in posting and sharing, as we’re all in this together and to help each other.

Best Wishes for good sleep!

Kath

Views: 12561

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

.....and so you should be Joanne - this is great progress!  For your sore nose, put on some of that CPAP cream (the sample I sent you with your luggage tag order), as this cream can be used with the mask, then dab some on in the morning too.  Our local hospital call it the 'magic' cream as it's helped so many people.  Hope you're in for another good night :)

Joanne Hollett said:
Thanks for the tip Kath, this is exactly what I did (in fact the hospital also advised it) I managed to keep the mask on until 7:15 a.m, I have a sore nose but I'm ever so proud of myself... :-)

WOW!  8 STONES!  I seem to remember that you were threatened with a gastric band seeing as you couldn't shift your weight before you were on the CPAP treatment.  You are doing really well Rosemary :)

Pleased to hear you're still pleased with your Hose Lift too.  I think all machines and masks should come with one :)  I have two - one's permanently set up on my bed and the other's in my travel bag for nights away.  Mind you, I do get a good discount ;)
Rosemary Kemp said:

........all I am  so much better (eight stone lost now) and I am so grateful to the machine and even to the darth look. (Fashion statement!)

I still think the hose lift is the best invention ever and anyone who hasn't yet tried one should take the plunge. Kath is right, never take the mask off when you go to the loo in the night. Just disconnect the hose and then you don't have to try to readjust the thing when you are still so tired. Rosemary     

How's it going Joanne?
Joanne Hollett said:
Thanks for the tip Kath, this is exactly what I did (in fact the hospital also advised it) I managed to keep the mask on until 7:15 a.m, I have a sore nose but I'm ever so proud of myself... :-)

Hi Kath

Thanks for your message.   I'm struggling a bit at the moment, I took my "trial" machine back on Monday & boy have I noticed the difference without it! I'm just waiting for the hospital to ring/write to me to tell me when I can go to pick up my own machine - I can't wait! It's amazing I didn't actually believe it was doing any good (or that I was using it properly) but as sure as eggs are eggs I notice the difference without it!  Once I get my own machine I'll be back on ebay to see what is available.  Thank you for sending my label and my little tube of cream too

x

Well, that is good news - the fact that you now realise how much good, in such a short time, the CPAP was doing you.  It does seem ridiculous to take it away from you though and make you wait for your own :(  It might be worth giving them a ring on Monday to see if you can get them to speed it up.  I reckon they'll be pleased at your enthusiasm to get back on CPAP ;)

Meanwhile, be kind to yourself whilst you're struggling without it, and keep reminding yourself how much better you're going to feel when on that sleep debt is paid back :)

Thanks Kath, I think I will do just that.  I honestly didn't think it would work but it was only when I fell asleep on the bus (both ways) the first day without using the CPAP the night before that I wondered... what confirmed it was at 3 o'clock in the afternoon when if I could have put my head down on my desk at work I'd have fallen asleep.  I'm surprised myself that it worked so quickly, particularly as I only really had 2-3 full nights proper usage, amazing! :-)

Kath Hope said:

Well, that is good news - the fact that you now realise how much good, in such a short time, the CPAP was doing you.  It does seem ridiculous to take it away from you though and make you wait for your own :(  It might be worth giving them a ring on Monday to see if you can get them to speed it up.  I reckon they'll be pleased at your enthusiasm to get back on CPAP ;)

Meanwhile, be kind to yourself whilst you're struggling without it, and keep reminding yourself how much better you're going to feel when on that sleep debt is paid back :)

Hello from Frome,
My Story,
In 2009 I lost my job as a School Caretaker as it was reported that I had been seen asleep on duty. What!!!!! I demanded, and immediately contacted the union for a case of unfair dismissal, or so I thought.
Guess what, yes you know, I had been dropping of for sometime and it was all of a bit of a joke, the only person that was not in on the joke was me.
Yes I am Large Boned, over Six Foot and a bouncer Doorman in the evenings, and a little bit of a Control Freak, according to the lady of the house.
Lost the case in no time flat, could not understand why so many people would lie, OK had had a strange couple of years feeling tired and a bit touchy but that's cos I work harder than anybody else, right!

EH! perhaps not, apparently the lady of the house had taken to sleeping elsewhere as I was a bit fidgety and she kept elbowing me cos I held my breath, (oh yea right).

Imagine, coming up to the big 60, oversized control freak has to find something called Jobseekers.

They believed everybody else about the sleeping, told to go to TSA as I was not ready to go to work and no one would give you a start if you fall asleep at the drop of a hat.

TSA sent me to the GP, OK men do not go to the GP, right. Then onto some pills for depression ? Anger ?(otherwise called anxiety) and blood pressure, 215 0ver 101 is not normal?

From GP to Sleep Unit, Bristol, Avon.

Told I have OSA and its 28 ???? so need a sleep machine to keep my throat open at night, CRAP (or that's what I thought she said) machine taken home, Biggles now fly's every night.

Seems everybody was right about everything, machine allowed me to sleep, stopped the snoring and the leg kicking, the love of my life moved back in (OK sometimes even now she disappears) brought a new bed, took early retirement started at a Gym found I could actually walk to the shops, reduced the pills when the old ticker could control the blood pressure, smiled a lot more and found fun.

Still tampering with types of mask, tubing, humidifier and nightly routines looking for the right balance and as much information as I can glean to make sure I have the best possible chance at a full life.

More will follow on here as I try different ideas.

Thanks for some good Sunday evening entertainment Graeme.  It's the way you tell it, LOL.  Anyway, pleased you're finding life better now you're on the treatment.

Hi Graeme,

Welcome to the "Biggles Brigade" otherwise known as the "Darthader Dozers" (I struggled to find a rhyme for the D!) There's loads of gadgets (like the hose lift) and there's a cream that seems to help the mask seal to my face better without damaging the mask. Kath will supply all of that to you at www.hope2sleep.co.uk

I'm two and a half years into using this cpap crap (sorry - old joke) and my life is definitely back. It isn't exactly easy and as I have lost weight, the mask fit changes and it is difficult but it is worth persevering and life is good again.

I also had no idea that my tiredness was due to this illness and it seemed obvious that if I was working so hard and so big that I would be tired. Not so! You have to have been there though don't you?

Good luck with the whole thing. This is the beginning of the rest of your life!

Rosemary

Finally having managed to get through to the sleep clinic and speak to a "live" person rather than a tinny automated one, I discovered that I had been forgotten about, plus my case notes had gone missing.  I now have my appointment for the 15th to pick up my very own CPAP - I can't wait.  :-)

Joanne Hollett said:
Thanks Kath, I think I will do just that.  I honestly didn't think it would work but it was only when I fell asleep on the bus (both ways) the first day without using the CPAP the night before that I wondered... what confirmed it was at 3 o'clock in the afternoon when if I could have put my head down on my desk at work I'd have fallen asleep.  I'm surprised myself that it worked so quickly, particularly as I only really had 2-3 full nights proper usage, amazing! :-)

Kath Hope said:

Good thing you chased them up Joanne.  7 days to go and I bet you're counting............  You can now look forward to a good summer with more energy :)

Joanne Hollett said:
Finally having managed to get through to the sleep clinic and speak to a "live" person rather than a tinny automated one, I discovered that I had been forgotten about, plus my case notes had gone missing.  I now have my appointment for the 15th to pick up my very own CPAP - I can't wait.  :-)

I am counting Kath, and I'm going to visit your shop now and order myself a stand... :-)   What is the difference between ordering from you on eBay or from the Hope2Sleep site?

Best wishes

Jo

Kath Hope said:

Good thing you chased them up Joanne.  7 days to go and I bet you're counting............  You can now look forward to a good summer with more energy :)

Joanne Hollett said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Sleep Apnoea Forum

New to the Sleep Apnoea Forum? 

1. Stop by our Sleep Apnoea Welcome Center to introduce yourself to the SleepGuide community.
2. Start a New Topic of Conversation.
3. Post your photos - of yourself, your old CPAP machine, your new CPAP machine, your pet, something about you!

Interested in advertising, have a problem or need to contact us? Click the Report an Issue page.

Latest Activity

jjimjam updated their profile
Wednesday
Kath Hope replied to Becky Murkin's discussion noisy humidifier normal?
"It sounds like you're getting rainout issues (condensation) so here's an article to help with this. www.hope2sleep.co.uk/water-in-the-mask-hose-known-as-rainout"
Apr 16
Becky Murkin posted a discussion

noisy humidifier normal?

Hello,I have an air sense 10 auto.When I have the humidifier and the heated tube plugged in it makes a sort of drumming noise. Like that at the gallows in films.Is this normal? It wakes me up  and I have to give up and switch off  for the night.See More
Apr 16
John posted a discussion

Dentists in Hull that know about Mewing ?

I was wondering if there are any dentists in Hull who know about John & Mike Mew, and changing jaw shape over time?I could add that I saw an ENT consultant recently and she said jaw shape, malocclusion, is genetic, which has become a debatable…See More
Apr 9
Profile IconKaren Mcleod, Fiona Watson, Teresa Hobbs and 5 more joined Hope2SleepGuide
Apr 3
Jonathan replied to John's discussion Airsense 10 -humidifier runs dry
"I did replace the tank in my SleepCube, and had to regularly take the silicone sealing gasket out and give it a goof clean, but not infrequently found it standing in a pool of water in the morning.  The machine sat on a tray because of…"
Mar 26
John posted a discussion

Nasal valve collapse

Does anyone have any experience of nasal valve collapse?Wondering if I have this but I don't know what the norm is.Been trying widgets that hold the nose open and it's like night and day.See More
Mar 24
John replied to John's discussion Airsense 10 -humidifier runs dry
"Wow it's the other way round for me.I found with the Sleepcube I'd often have a good bit of water still there in the morning. Today I woke up with a dry tank on the Resmed again and it's not on full heat or flow. I got it on 6…"
Mar 24
Becky Murkin posted a discussion

F20 AirFit small marking bridge of nose

Please help or give advice all wise people on here.I have had the Resmed F20 AirFit small mask for over a month. Seals yet…See More
Mar 19
Frances Knight replied to Frances Knight's discussion Air Sense 10 - changing pressure settings
"A very helpful reply Jonathan. I found the pressure setting for the full face mask to be too high when I changed to a nasal mask, but perhaps I should have persisted? I'll try again and I'll also discuss with the clinic whether an APAP…"
Mar 13
Jonathan replied to Frances Knight's discussion Air Sense 10 - changing pressure settings
"Ramble alert!  My history is that I spent part of each week at a different location, so bought a second machine identical to my fixed pressure NHS machine and set it up to match using the clinician menu.  This was a very long time…"
Mar 12
Frances Knight replied to Frances Knight's discussion Air Sense 10 - changing pressure settings
"Thanks Jonathan - I had seen the YouTube video. My question is really about the experience of people who have control of their pressure settings, for example those people who have bought their machines directly and not obtained them through an NHS…"
Mar 12
Jonathan replied to Frances Knight's discussion Air Sense 10 - changing pressure settings
"This is NOT a recommendation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNUWhd2UgQM"
Mar 11
Frances Knight posted a discussion

Air Sense 10 - changing pressure settings

I have been successfully using my air sense 10 since OSA diagnosis, and my AHI is now under 2. I had an appointment with my clinic this week and have been told there is no need for further appointments and just to contact them if I need supplies or…See More
Mar 11
Swen Greve is now a member of Hope2SleepGuide
Mar 4
Jonathan replied to Sue Reeves's discussion A few questions..
"If you have a helpful GP, I would ask them to re-refer you to the sleep clinic."
Mar 3
Sue Reeves posted a discussion

A few questions..

A quick bit of backgroundDiagnosed with OSA about 7/8 years ago by my local sleep clinic and given a F &P Icon CPAP.  After a couple of follow-up appts to sort out any issues, I was sent on my merry way. I have had no further face to face…See More
Mar 3
Jonathan replied to John's discussion Airsense 10 -humidifier runs dry
"I previously had a DeVilbiss Sleepcube and the dehumidifier did sometimes run dry.  On the other hand I now have an AirSense 10 and it never runs dry, and I've had the humidity turned up high."
Feb 26
John posted a discussion

Airsense 10 -humidifier runs dry

Hi. I'm finding the Airsense 10 the hospital gave me, the humidifier chamber runs dry. It's not even on max settings, which I'm guessing would empty it a lot quicker. Seems like a big design oversight to me. Does anyone else have this trouble? The…See More
Feb 26
David Hudson posted a discussion

Decline in hearing

HiI have regular, well yearly check ups at work. One being a hearing test. Since having my cpap machine my hearing has declined rapidly in 1 ear.....could this be as a result of pressure? I believe I'm on 15cm p max h2o. I just use a nasal…See More
Feb 26

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service