Hope2SleepGuide

Sleep Apnoea Forum Bringing Help + Support to the Patient

I have been on CPAP therapy for nearly 2 years and still feel very tired, I have been to hospital a couple of times in that period and the first thing they do is put me on oxygen.  So I have decided to invest in an Oximeter to assess my oxygen levels.  So any advice would be helpful.

I am currently on a ResMed automatic machine, I have tried different masks and liners which I was told by my clinic were not helpful for CPAP as the leaks can escape through the lining and I wouldn't be aware of it.  Don't know if that is correct or not.  So some suggestions would be great

Views: 113

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Welcome to the forum Margaret.  I must say that I find the comments about liners strange from your clinic though, as many clinics recommend their patients purchase or even make liners.  Our charity sell the Silent Night brand and many people monitor leaks on their machines so we'd soon know if that were true.

When you say they put you on oxygen, do you mean with your CPAP?   Have you got a machine that tells you what your AHI is, so the hospital and you can see how well your CPAP is treating you?

As for a good pulse oximeter, you probably already know that it's one that can record data overnight you need.  The Contec  CMS 50F is a popular one which is a wrist-watch type or the cheaper one which goes on the end of the finger is the Contec CMS 50DD.  I prefer the wrist-watch type though for stability.  I spotted a CMS 50F on Amazon cheaper than Ebay a while ago.  However, BEFORE purchase, if your computer runs on Windows 10 check if the Contec is compatible.  I've not used them for a while and they didn't used to work with Windows 10.  There may be a newer model out now though as it's several years since I've used that brand.



Kath Hope said:

Welcome to the forum Margaret.  I must say that I find the comments about liners strange from your clinic though, as many clinics recommend their patients purchase or even make liners.  Our charity sell the Silent Night brand and many people monitor leaks on their machines so we'd soon know if that were true.

When you say they put you on oxygen, do you mean with your CPAP?   Have you got a machine that tells you what your AHI is, so the hospital and you can see how well your CPAP is treating you?

As for a good pulse oximeter, you probably already know that it's one that can record data overnight you need.  The Contec  CMS 50F is a popular one which is a wrist-watch type or the cheaper one which goes on the end of the finger is the Contec CMS 50DD.  I prefer the wrist-watch type though for stability.  I spotted a CMS 50F on Amazon cheaper than Ebay a while ago.  However, BEFORE purchase, if your computer runs on Windows 10 check if the Contec is compatible.  I've not used them for a while and they didn't used to work with Windows 10.  There may be a newer model out now though as it's several years since I've used that brand.



Margaret MacQuarrie said:

Margaret MacQuarrie said:

Hi Kath thank you for the advice, when I was in hospital it was on admission through the day and they put me straight onto oxygen without the CPAP.  My machine is automatic and belongs to my clinic they told me it was set up and did not tell me what my AHI was. I wanted the Oxmeter to do a trace of my oxygen levels so I can show them that their therapy or machine is not working for me.  I did try the liners and found they really helped but when the speciallist nurse told me they wouldn't give a proper reading.  I will get them again, glad you told me that you just wonder if some of the nurses are not up to date with what is out there. Thanks again for your help.



Kath Hope said:

Welcome to the forum Margaret.  I must say that I find the comments about liners strange from your clinic though, as many clinics recommend their patients purchase or even make liners.  Our charity sell the Silent Night brand and many people monitor leaks on their machines so we'd soon know if that were true.

When you say they put you on oxygen, do you mean with your CPAP?   Have you got a machine that tells you what your AHI is, so the hospital and you can see how well your CPAP is treating you?

As for a good pulse oximeter, you probably already know that it's one that can record data overnight you need.  The Contec  CMS 50F is a popular one which is a wrist-watch type or the cheaper one which goes on the end of the finger is the Contec CMS 50DD.  I prefer the wrist-watch type though for stability.  I spotted a CMS 50F on Amazon cheaper than Ebay a while ago.  However, BEFORE purchase, if your computer runs on Windows 10 check if the Contec is compatible.  I've not used them for a while and they didn't used to work with Windows 10.  There may be a newer model out now though as it's several years since I've used that brand.

It does sound to me like the hospital perhaps don't realise what is out there to help us all  Margaret, because some of our hospitals even supply liners, and many that don't refer people to our charity for them.  I use them myself and I also have a machine I can monitor what is happening.  We also get many people who have previously struggled with leaks before using liners and they have struggled with not feeling like the therapy is helping.  Once using the liners they not only find they help with the leaks but they actually feel better during the day, which is a sure sign they're helping them.  Liners are sold worldwide (the ones we sell are imported from the USA, because having previously sold a different brand, the Silent Night ones are far more popular).  You can try to make your own liners, and I did before we started supplying the Silent Night ones, but I must say these are much better than my home made ones were   I certainly don't want to be speaking against your clinic's advice, but I can promise you that many other hospitals do recommend the liners.  Like you say, it may be that they just don't realise what is out there to help us all.

Which machine are you using Margaret?

The Machine is Res Med AirSense 10 AutoSet



Kath Hope said:

It does sound to me like the hospital perhaps don't realise what is out there to help us all  Margaret, because some of our hospitals even supply liners, and many that don't refer people to our charity for them.  I use them myself and I also have a machine I can monitor what is happening.  We also get many people who have previously struggled with leaks before using liners and they have struggled with not feeling like the therapy is helping.  Once using the liners they not only find they help with the leaks but they actually feel better during the day, which is a sure sign they're helping them.  Liners are sold worldwide (the ones we sell are imported from the USA, because having previously sold a different brand, the Silent Night ones are far more popular).  You can try to make your own liners, and I did before we started supplying the Silent Night ones, but I must say these are much better than my home made ones were   I certainly don't want to be speaking against your clinic's advice, but I can promise you that many other hospitals do recommend the liners.  Like you say, it may be that they just don't realise what is out there to help us all.

Which machine are you using Margaret?

The Airsense Autoset does show the data in you look in the 'Sleep Report' section on your screen you can then scroll down to AHI and should also be able to see leakage.  If you can't see the AHI then it means the hospital have locked you out of that section though.

Thanks Kath Will have a look in the morning and let you know



Kath Hope said:

The Airsense Autoset does show the data in you look in the 'Sleep Report' section on your screen you can then scroll down to AHI and should also be able to see leakage.  If you can't see the AHI then it means the hospital have locked you out of that section though.

You should have got the manual with the Airsense 10 Autoset?

If you didn't get it AIRSENSE RANGE MANUAL . pdf

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Sleep Apnoea Forum

New to the Sleep Apnoea Forum? 

1. Stop by our Sleep Apnoea Welcome Center to introduce yourself to the SleepGuide community.
2. Start a New Topic of Conversation.
3. Post your photos - of yourself, your old CPAP machine, your new CPAP machine, your pet, something about you!

Interested in advertising, have a problem or need to contact us? Click the Report an Issue page.

 

Latest Activity

Dennis Pramas replied to Darryl Milligan's discussion Humidity and AHI
"Hi Darryl, I have a similar experience concerning increased humidity and AHI. For about one year I have been using the ResMed s9 Autoset with F20 mask, a pressure setting of 10 cm H2O without a humidifier and have been averaging AHI below 5. The…"
19 hours ago
Profile IconDianne Shaw and Dennis Pramas joined Hope2SleepGuide
Thursday
Terry James posted a discussion

First week with CPAP and it's not going well

Hi all,First of all, I would like to say what a great forum! I feel I might just be using this more often.A little background if I may?I was diagnosed late last year with OSA, with an AHI of 29 - so on the edge of severe OSA. If I'm honest, I wasn't…See More
Tuesday
May posted discussions
Monday
Profile IconMay, Terry James and Mark A joined Hope2SleepGuide
Monday
Profile IconMark Grocock and Lynne J Austin joined Hope2SleepGuide
Jan 5
Tony Westcott updated their profile
Jan 2
Donna Batters is now a member of Hope2SleepGuide
Dec 29, 2018
Lemongrape is now a member of Hope2SleepGuide
Dec 23, 2018
Mags updated their profile
Dec 21, 2018
Mags left a comment for Mags
"Hello Everyone   I'm so glad I've found this wonderful informative site.  Just been diagnosed recently with sleep apnea and finding it all very difficult.  Just cannot get used to wearing the mask and take it off most…"
Dec 18, 2018
Kath Hope replied to Ruth Furniss's discussion Blocked nose
"Definitely nothing inside the humidifier chamber except plain water.  Olbas Oil on a tissue or Vicks as Eric states, and there's a more detailed article on the website here https://www.hope2sleep.co.uk/blog/cpap-masks-with-a-cold.html"
Dec 18, 2018
Eric Swindon replied to Ruth Furniss's discussion Blocked nose
"I have never done that because the general consensus is that any addition to the humidifier chamber might corode the metal plate. However, I do get the odd cold and frequently suffer from blocked nose at least on one side and my answer which works…"
Dec 17, 2018
Ruth Furniss posted a discussion

Blocked nose

If you have a cold and blocked nose can you put a couple of drops of olbas oil in your humidifier water?See More
Dec 17, 2018
Mags is now a member of Hope2SleepGuide
Dec 17, 2018
Rod J Brunton posted a discussion

NEEDED: CPAP nasal pillow style mask & headgear - FX, DREAMWEAR or any similar style

Does anyone have a nasal pillow style mask & headgear they don't like or don't use? Mine vanished somewhere between Vancouver & Glasgow & I didn't notice till I got to Kirky.  I have a spare one at home, but that's not helping me while I…See More
Dec 12, 2018
Rod J Brunton is now a member of Hope2SleepGuide
Dec 12, 2018
Andy Falconer updated their profile
Dec 11, 2018
Andy Falconer replied to Andy Falconer's discussion First night with CPAP
"Hi Kath, I'm hoping the next few nights will see me get my AHI down further, but i'm also keen not to put too much pressure on the situation. I have to say i'm very impressed with the Hope2Sleep service so far, with regular updates…"
Dec 11, 2018
Kath Hope replied to Andy Falconer's discussion First night with CPAP
"Hi Andy. That's a good first night and sounding positive already. You may find your AHI comes down over the next few nights. Ideally we're looking for it to be up to 5 which is classed as 'normal.'  Your other goods will be…"
Dec 11, 2018

© 2019   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service