Hope2SleepGuide

Sleep Apnoea Forum Bringing Help + Support to the Patient

Question regarding travelling internationally with my CPAP machine.

Later this year my partner and myself are travelling to America to do Route 66. Now this will be the first time I have taken my CPAP with me. I know that majority of Airports know what they are and I will be purchasing a luggage tag to attach to the bag.

My question is, do I need to obtain a letter from my GP or the Sleep Clinic to take with me. I did try and contact the Sleep Clinic earlier this year regarding this but I got an answer phone and I've still not received a response to the message I left.

I'm wondering if I can get better advice from this forum.

Thanks

Views: 81

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Most security know what a CPAP machine is these days, however, these are points to watch for:

Let the airline know you have a CPAP machine and inform them it will have to come in the cabin as hand luggage.

Do NOT put it in the hold, it might end up broken or in another part of the world.

If you have a manual for the machine take it with you, it explains what the machine is.

Take basic spares with you including some cling film (cut to a narrow strip to wrap round a burst hose) spare fuses and a screwdriver (but put the screwdriver in hold with the rest of your goods as it will be taken off you) some electrical insulation tape in case it is needed for the hose or anything else.

A long light extension lead with two connectors at the end of the cable, one for the machine and the other for the phone.

You MUST TELL THE AIRLINE you have a CPAP that you need to take on board as hand luggage. well in advance so as you can get a letter back from them.

Enjoy your holiday.

Excellent. Thank you very much for the advice, I will get onto contacting them.

Sleep2snore said:

Most security know what a CPAP machine is these days, however, these are points to watch for:

Let the airline know you have a CPAP machine and inform them it will have to come in the cabin as hand luggage.

Do NOT put it in the hold, it might end up broken or in another part of the world.

If you have a manual for the machine take it with you, it explains what the machine is.

Take basic spares with you including some cling film (cut to a narrow strip to wrap round a burst hose) spare fuses and a screwdriver (but put the screwdriver in hold with the rest of your goods as it will be taken off you) some electrical insulation tape in case it is needed for the hose or anything else.

A long light extension lead with two connectors at the end of the cable, one for the machine and the other for the phone.

You MUST TELL THE AIRLINE you have a CPAP that you need to take on board as hand luggage. well in advance so as you can get a letter back from them.

Enjoy your holiday.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Sleep Apnoea Forum

New to the Sleep Apnoea Forum? 

1. Stop by our Sleep Apnoea Welcome Center to introduce yourself to the SleepGuide community.
2. Start a New Topic of Conversation.
3. Post your photos - of yourself, your old CPAP machine, your new CPAP machine, your pet, something about you!

Interested in advertising, have a problem or need to contact us? Click the Report an Issue page.

Latest Activity

Kath Hope replied to Chris Vesey's discussion Cure for wind
"This is a common problem Sally, and especially when new to CPAP, irrespective of whatever machines people use.  It's definitely not just an Airsense 10 problem. If you've not clicked on the link I posted above in my reply to Chris…"
yesterday
Sally Gray replied to Chris Vesey's discussion Cure for wind
"Hi, it’s interesting to read Chris’s comment that the AirSense 10 has given him flatulence whereas his previous CPAP wasn’t a problem.  I’m new to using a CPAP and have been provided with an AirSense 10 which I’m…"
yesterday
Kath Hope replied to Bob Blair's discussion So Clean sanitiser
"I'm not aware of finance, and we at the Hope2Sleep Charity certainly couldn't offer this unfortunately.  However, if you have a Paypal account then you can apply for Paypal Credit which is offered for products over £150 I…"
Sunday
Kyla Davies replied to Bob Blair's discussion So Clean sanitiser
"Hi Kath In relation to the Soclean do you know if any finance is available to purchase one of these machines? I do not mind spending that amount on one but would be very helpful especially this time of year to purchase one on a finance…"
Sunday
"Great to hear this Andy Just as importantly they will help prevent gum disease from dry mouth (plus less dental bills)."
Friday
Andy Dykes replied to Bob Blair's discussion So Clean sanitiser
"Tried one Xylimelts last night. Best sleep in ages. No waking up with a terrible dry mouth. Very pleased thank you"
Friday
"Thanks for supporting our charity with your order Andy, and they'll be sent out tomorrow.  I love the Beaumont Citrus Wipes and have tried all the others, and these are definitely the best.  I use them everyday. Hope you find the…"
Sep 11
"Have just placed an order for some mask wipes and the mouth discs. Thanks for the recommendation of the discs, fingers crossed."
Sep 11
"The SoClean will never be supplied by the NHS as they can't afford to give out products like this.  We have the SoClean at the charity at the price we've been told it has to be sold for…"
Sep 11
"Thank you for quick reply. The advert was on TV again this afternoon with a web address that links to an Amazon site. After a bit of research I have found a UK seller for £245 with 30 day return. Still not convinced so called my Respiratory…"
Sep 11
Sleep2snore replied to Edam's discussion Double inhaling
"I am sure they are not, but a lt of people tend to tighten their masks up to tightly. A lot more than they need to to stop leaks, I was no exception at the start, if it leaked, tighten it more, but this was not the answer.  New mask the correct…"
Sep 11
"I still haven't seen the advert Andy, but lots of people are contacting us about purchasing.  First and foremost, whether with the SoClean or not, it is important to keep our equipment cleaned.  You're doing the right thing…"
Sep 10
Andy Dykes updated their profile
Sep 10
"Oh dear. Looks like I'm in trouble! I have used a CPAP machine for more than 10 years (not the same one) and currently have a Remstar System One SE. Have just seen an advert on TV for the SoClean which got me wondering how often are you…"
Sep 10
Andy Dykes is now a member of Hope2SleepGuide
Sep 10
Edam replied to Edam's discussion Double inhaling
"The only trouble is that both the Amara View and the Dreamwear are too painful to wear. The part of the cushion separating the mouth area from the nose cuts in!! to the base of my nose and partly into my nostrils."
Sep 9
Sleep2snore replied to Edam's discussion Double inhaling
"Good detective work."
Sep 8
Sleep2snore replied to ged's discussion no EPR setting REsmed S8 spirit 2 autoset
Sep 8
Sleep2snore replied to ged's discussion no EPR setting REsmed S8 spirit 2 autoset
"I can't see why they would have it on CPAP and not on AUTO, I suspect it has been locked out by sleep clinic, resetting will not help. It might be right that earlier models might not have EPR as I do remember seeing something about that, but…"
Sep 8
Sleep2snore replied to Helen McIntyre's discussion Pressure under eyes
"ResMed also do Hybrid masks, but they are more like Nasal Pillows stuck on top of a mouth mask. These all look as if they are made by the same manufacturer to me, but they are an alternitive, however the Dreamwear looks better.  Make sure you…"
Sep 6

© 2018   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service