Hope2SleepGuide

Sleep Apnoea Forum Bringing Help + Support to the Patient

Welcome to our Forum - Feel Free to Introduce Yourself Here.

Welcome to the Hope2SleepGuide Forum, which is a service run by the Hope2Sleep Charity founded by Kath Hope with a marvellous team of trustees and volunteers. 

Kath herself has severe sleep apnoea and hypoventilation/hypercapnia, and has used CPAP for several years and is now on non-invasive ventilation.  Our trustees and volunteers are all either sufferers of sleep disordered breathing or clinicians/medics working in this field, and most importantly, we are all passionate in supporting (with empathy) others and raising awareness to help people live healthier and more energised lives.

 

Whilst we do not give medical advice, more often than not, with support, tips and knowledge, people can overcome any problems experienced with our therapy, and there is a whole page dedicated to this on the website http://www.hope2sleep.co.uk/tips-for-problems-sleeping-with-cpap-or...

 

Please come and join us, and don’t feel obligated to use your ‘real’ name if you prefer to remain anonymous as this is a public forum.  Don’t be shy in posting and sharing, as we’re all in this together and to help each other.

Best Wishes for good sleep!

Kath

Views: 8578

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's brilliant to have some more support. My hospital just provides specific equipment and then leaves it to you to survive with no meetings. They do invite you to phone them if you are "in trouble" but ongoing questions are not easily dealt with and it is very offputting to go through a ward and not a friendly "face". THis is not new for me now after approaching two years but I still have difficulties and it is great to talk and share. Mutual help! This site looks really great. Thanks Kath and Mike. I look forward to talking to fellow sufferers and maybe offer help and be helped in return.

 

All good wishes for your success in this new venture! Rosemary Kemp (my real name - I don't need to hide. Not now anyway! ) 

morning fellow hoseheads.

just thought i would pop in to say hello as just found this forum.

 

Hope to chat to you all real soon

 

 

Hi Andy,

 

We're the first two on this forum! Here's hoping it will really help us to be able to share hose hassles etc! Hope you had a good night of sleep! Rosemary

Fello Hoseheads, made me chuckle lol. 

Andy Thomas said:

morning fellow hoseheads.

just thought i would pop in to say hello as just found this forum.

 

Hope to chat to you all real soon

 

 

LOL too!!!

Niel Fordon said:
Fello Hoseheads, made me chuckle lol. 

Andy Thomas said:

morning fellow hoseheads.

just thought i would pop in to say hello as just found this forum.

 

Hope to chat to you all real soon

 

 

Hi Kath, Mike and everyone

Great to find this new forum.   I'm sure it will be a help to all of us to share ideas, suggestions, queries and problems.  After all, it is difficult to get informed advice from hospitals, so this will be a great source of expert help and assistance for us all.

All the best

 

 



Hi John,

 

Nice to meet you. As I approach the second anniversary of being on cpap, the way I have been told to see if I need another sleep study is to stop cpap for about a week and see how I go! I tried this it at one point and slept so badly that I can't possibly take that route. So we'll see what they have to say to me when I go for the annual check up! I know that I am having far fewer apnoeas but whether the pressure on the machine should change or whatever, seems to be difficult to determine! Good old hospitals!

Bye for now,

Rosemary Kemp  

 

Hi Rosemary

 

Great to hear from you.    I never cease to be amzed by the stories I hear about hospital sleep clinics.   Mine is just the same!   

I have recently invested in a pulse oximeter (CMS 50F) because I was fed up with not knowing whether my CPAP was set to the correct pressure.   I have only had the unit  for a week but have found it invaluable in actually telling me what is going on overnight.  I was using 10cm (set by the hospital - "we set them all at 10cm") but I found that the report figures were way out and my SpO2 levels were way too low.  I am currently using 13 cm and the improvement in SpO2 figures is amazing.

I simply don't understand your hospital telling you that - Fine if they want to repeat the overnight study but why on earth inflict your body with OSA effects for a week to "see how you go" - amazing!

I am still a complete amateur on reading the report results at the moment, although I am trying to find out more!

If you are interested in a pulse oximeter I am happy to give you more info - they seem to be very popular in the US, and we are only now catching up!

Do let me know how you get on at the checkup

All the best

John

 

Rosemary Kemp said:



Hi John,

 

Nice to meet you. As I approach the second anniversary of being on cpap, the way I have been told to see if I need another sleep study is to stop cpap for about a week and see how I go! I tried this it at one point and slept so badly that I can't possibly take that route. So we'll see what they have to say to me when I go for the annual check up! I know that I am having far fewer apnoeas but whether the pressure on the machine should change or whatever, seems to be difficult to determine! Good old hospitals!

Bye for now,

Rosemary Kemp  

 

hi rosemary,

i cannot understand the thinking that you would need to stop your treatment to see if you still need cpap, that in itself is ridiculous.

If you have been diagnosed properly the likely hood is that u will need to carry on the therapy on the long term.

Cpap therapy is not a cure it helps u to control the episodes in a safe and controlled manner.

The hospital should be doing a download from your machine when u go to clinic and they can then determine from the results if your machine needs adjusting or if there are any tweaks to be made.

I would not stop your therapy at all and ask the hospital to run a diagnostic on your machine to see if anything needs changing.

 

hope it all goes well for u

Andy

Rosemary Kemp said:



Hi John,

 

Nice to meet you. As I approach the second anniversary of being on cpap, the way I have been told to see if I need another sleep study is to stop cpap for about a week and see how I go! I tried this it at one point and slept so badly that I can't possibly take that route. So we'll see what they have to say to me when I go for the annual check up! I know that I am having far fewer apnoeas but whether the pressure on the machine should change or whatever, seems to be difficult to determine! Good old hospitals!

Bye for now,

Rosemary Kemp  

 

Thanks for your reply John.

 

It is amazing isn't it? The reason that my hospital want to believe that I am "getting better" is that as I have lost so much weight, my apnoeas have receded. It was Kath who made me aware of how many fewer apnoeas I was having last year but the hospital are loath to carry out further sleep studies that they can avoid. So I am expected to prove the need for a further study!

 

They don't encourage us to do home sleep studies either. They have reasons for this too! Apparently these aren't reliable and only the hopsital do them "properly". Lots of poeple "know best" eh?

 

Rosemary

John Hedley said:

Hi Rosemary

 

Great to hear from you.    I never cease to be amzed by the stories I hear about hospital sleep clinics.   Mine is just the same!   

I have recently invested in a pulse oximeter (CMS 50F) because I was fed up with not knowing whether my CPAP was set to the correct pressure.   I have only had the unit  for a week but have found it invaluable in actually telling me what is going on overnight.  I was using 10cm (set by the hospital - "we set them all at 10cm") but I found that the report figures were way out and my SpO2 levels were way too low.  I am currently using 13 cm and the improvement in SpO2 figures is amazing.

I simply don't understand your hospital telling you that - Fine if they want to repeat the overnight study but why on earth inflict your body with OSA effects for a week to "see how you go" - amazing!

I am still a complete amateur on reading the report results at the moment, although I am trying to find out more!

If you are interested in a pulse oximeter I am happy to give you more info - they seem to be very popular in the US, and we are only now catching up!

Do let me know how you get on at the checkup

All the best

John

 

Rosemary Kemp said:



Hi John,

 

Nice to meet you. As I approach the second anniversary of being on cpap, the way I have been told to see if I need another sleep study is to stop cpap for about a week and see how I go! I tried this it at one point and slept so badly that I can't possibly take that route. So we'll see what they have to say to me when I go for the annual check up! I know that I am having far fewer apnoeas but whether the pressure on the machine should change or whatever, seems to be difficult to determine! Good old hospitals!

Bye for now,

Rosemary Kemp  

 

Hi Andy,

 

Thanks for replying to me. I'm not good at replying "in the correct place" so forgive me if I am doing this all wrong!

 

My hospital know that I am having fewer apnoeas since losing significant weight (as they put it) after I had reading on an apap machine. Their reaction was to get me to "self diagnose" and ask for a further sleep study if I felt I could manage without the machine.

I know for sure that I can't manage without it! It was a nice idea but very much pie in the sky.

They don't offer a lot of support and don't seem to have great understanding and certainly don't encourage us to find out things for ourselves. We are simply expected to do as we are told and ask no questions!

Many of this just aren't going to accept this! We go looking for answers don't we?

Bye for now, Rosemary    

Andy Thomas said:

hi rosemary,

i cannot understand the thinking that you would need to stop your treatment to see if you still need cpap, that in itself is ridiculous.

If you have been diagnosed properly the likely hood is that u will need to carry on the therapy on the long term.

Cpap therapy is not a cure it helps u to control the episodes in a safe and controlled manner.

The hospital should be doing a download from your machine when u go to clinic and they can then determine from the results if your machine needs adjusting or if there are any tweaks to be made.

I would not stop your therapy at all and ask the hospital to run a diagnostic on your machine to see if anything needs changing.

 

hope it all goes well for u

Andy

Rosemary Kemp said:



Hi John,

 

Nice to meet you. As I approach the second anniversary of being on cpap, the way I have been told to see if I need another sleep study is to stop cpap for about a week and see how I go! I tried this it at one point and slept so badly that I can't possibly take that route. So we'll see what they have to say to me when I go for the annual check up! I know that I am having far fewer apnoeas but whether the pressure on the machine should change or whatever, seems to be difficult to determine! Good old hospitals!

Bye for now,

Rosemary Kemp  

 

Hi Rosemary

Thanks.   I think you will find that modern pulse oximeters are very accurate and have been proved to be so in various tests.   Your hospital, like mine, appears to believe that the patients should know nothing and simply press on in happy ignorance without accurate monitoring by the hospital, which then does not happen.  

I have no regrets in buying and using my oximeter - it has shown me that the hospital's setting is simply way too low for me, and I feel far better already!

Very best wishes.   John

.


Rosemary Kemp said:

Thanks for your reply John.

 

It is amazing isn't it? The reason that my hospital want to believe that I am "getting better" is that as I have lost so much weight, my apnoeas have receded. It was Kath who made me aware of how many fewer apnoeas I was having last year but the hospital are loath to carry out further sleep studies that they can avoid. So I am expected to prove the need for a further study!

 

They don't encourage us to do home sleep studies either. They have reasons for this too! Apparently these aren't reliable and only the hopsital do them "properly". Lots of poeple "know best" eh?

 

Rosemary

John Hedley said:

Hi Rosemary

 

Great to hear from you.    I never cease to be amzed by the stories I hear about hospital sleep clinics.   Mine is just the same!   

I have recently invested in a pulse oximeter (CMS 50F) because I was fed up with not knowing whether my CPAP was set to the correct pressure.   I have only had the unit  for a week but have found it invaluable in actually telling me what is going on overnight.  I was using 10cm (set by the hospital - "we set them all at 10cm") but I found that the report figures were way out and my SpO2 levels were way too low.  I am currently using 13 cm and the improvement in SpO2 figures is amazing.

I simply don't understand your hospital telling you that - Fine if they want to repeat the overnight study but why on earth inflict your body with OSA effects for a week to "see how you go" - amazing!

I am still a complete amateur on reading the report results at the moment, although I am trying to find out more!

If you are interested in a pulse oximeter I am happy to give you more info - they seem to be very popular in the US, and we are only now catching up!

Do let me know how you get on at the checkup

All the best

John

 

Rosemary Kemp said:



Hi John,

 

Nice to meet you. As I approach the second anniversary of being on cpap, the way I have been told to see if I need another sleep study is to stop cpap for about a week and see how I go! I tried this it at one point and slept so badly that I can't possibly take that route. So we'll see what they have to say to me when I go for the annual check up! I know that I am having far fewer apnoeas but whether the pressure on the machine should change or whatever, seems to be difficult to determine! Good old hospitals!

Bye for now,

Rosemary Kemp  

 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Sleep Apnoea Forum

New to the Sleep Apnoea Forum? 

1. Stop by our Sleep Apnoea Welcome Center to introduce yourself to the SleepGuide community.
2. Start a New Topic of Conversation.
3. Post your photos - of yourself, your old CPAP machine, your new CPAP machine, your pet, something about you!

Interested in advertising, have a problem or need to contact us? Click the Report an Issue page.

 

Latest Activity

Nick Sumner added a discussion to the group Buy-Sell-Swap
Thumbnail

ResMed S9 with humidifier £160.00

ResMed S9 with humidifier, complete with water chamber, filter, electric cable and tube. Very low usage. Comes with travel case.Excellant condition. ...... £160.00.I have pictures if you wish to view.Can post, will be sent signed for, this will be…See More
yesterday
Profile IconJml and FrankDorn joined Hope2SleepGuide
Friday
be fokte is now a member of Hope2SleepGuide
May 14
Thomas hatrick added a discussion to the group Buy-Sell-Swap
Thumbnail

Selling Dreamstation auto CPAP machine with heated humidifier

Hi,Selling Dreamstation Auto CPAP machine with heated humidifier. Also comes with facemask and spare filter.Only used 4-5 times like brand new. £500https://imgur.com/a/EwURHYb.See More
May 13
Thomas hatrick joined The SleepGuide Crew's group
May 13
Profile IconJackson Rogers and Thomas hatrick joined Hope2SleepGuide
May 13
Smadar Zmirin posted a discussion

Resmed airsense 10

In good condition comes with travel bag and a mask all ready to go looking for $450 including shipping.Thanks  See More
May 12
Smadar Zmirin added a discussion to the group Buy-Sell-Swap
Thumbnail

Resmed airsense 10 autoset

For sale is a Resmed airsense 10 autosetIncludes The unit itself and cables and hose travel bagnose mask $450 including shipping send me me a message if your interested See More
May 12
Smadar Zmirin joined The SleepGuide Crew's group
May 12
Profile IconSmadar Zmirin and Lee Emerick joined Hope2SleepGuide
May 11
Jason Streets posted a discussion

Sleepcube for sale

I had this CPAP machine nearly six years ago. I used is a handful of times and my wife said either it had to go or she would. It has sat in a cupboard in its box ever since and it needs to find a better home. I was astonished when I looked up to see…See More
May 4
Eric Purvis is now a member of Hope2SleepGuide
May 1
Kath Hope replied to Judy Y's discussion Sleep apnoea and TMJ
"Sorry to head this Judy, and it could well be the fact that you're having to tighten the mask a little too much that's causing the jaw problems.  It could also simply be that the mask isn't suitable for you, so worth asking your…"
Apr 29
Jason Streets is now a member of Hope2SleepGuide
Apr 29
Lily Mae updated their profile
Apr 23
Profile IconKatherine Palmer and Lily Mae joined Hope2SleepGuide
Apr 23
Judy Y posted a discussion

Sleep apnoea and TMJ

HiI have been using my cpap for about 20 months now. On the whole have got on with it reasonably well.About 6 months ago started to develop a clicking in my jaw (only on the right side) and sometimes could not open my mouth properly, It is quite…See More
Apr 21
Janice gordon is now a member of Hope2SleepGuide
Apr 16
Mark A updated their profile
Apr 14

© 2019   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service