Hope2SleepGuide

Sleep Apnoea Forum Bringing Help + Support to the Patient

My husband has a CPAP . Due to the weight of his NHS CPAP he is not allowed to take extra personal items as hand luggage wiith him on board a plane at UK airports.

My husband has a letter from his GP stating the CPAP is medical equipment but the airport staff are saying that the hand luggage weight regulations still apply so he is only allowed to take the CPAP- unlike me who can take the full personal hand luggage weight on board.

I have heard that in Australia the CPAP is treated as medical equipment and hand luggage is also allowed.

Could anyone please tell me the CPAP + hand luggage regulations elsewhere around the world?

I have contacted a disability advice service regarding my husband's experience and I am awaiting a relpy.

Our worst experiences has been at Heathrow. Coming back from China my husband had his CPAP and another small bag when we queued for our next internal UK flight. He was not allowed to take 2 bags through so I had to put his bag into mine. The one bag rule was enforced even though we had shown the GP letter for the CPAP.

All information or advice would be appreciated

Views: 6462

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The regulations are the same in the USA Christine - in that they are allowed their CPAP as extra hand luggage.

Here in the UK, there is no set rule yet.  The CPAP Luggage Tags we've had designed usually do the trick, and I've been to Europe lots of times over the years without having any problems in carrying my CPAP as extra hand luggage.  However, to be absolutely certain we advise people to contact the airline they are flying with, as they do have different policies.  It is also VERY IMPORTANT to contact them if people intend using their machines during the flight.

I have just had a twitter conversation with Glasgow Airport , they are advising us to always check with airline re baggage allowance. Our problem was not with plane from China but with Heathrow staff and internal UK connection.
I told them I have asked the advice of a disability centre and would talk to my MP if required!

I read in a couple of 2007 USA air travel and CPAP discussions some comments regarding returning home from a UK airport so perhaps my partner and I are not alone with our experiences??

No you're not alone Christine, as other people have had bad experiences too - I've just been lucky!  Do a search at the top right on the forum and other posts should show up from the past, as we've discussed air travel a few times on here.  Keep us posted how you get on please.

CPAP batteries over a certain capacity are not allowed for air  transport 

Let'1s begin by pointing out that OSA is NOT a disability.

Thee are two ways of flying with CPAP - the easy way and the way you appear to be doing it, Christine.

You can carry your CPAP extra to your luggage allowance but it MUST go in the hold to qualify. You'd have to be nuts to do that! So we carry it as hand luggage. Two things come into play then - the airport security restrictions and the airline regulations. You can circumvent both by carrying only one piece of hand baggage. Ah! I hear you cry - but my husband's NHS CPAP takes up all his hand baggage allowance. The way round that is to buy a small, compact CPAP for travelling (and back-up at home). Why should you? No reason - it's a choice. Battle on as you have been or take a pragmatic approach. From the trips you discuss, a travel CPAP is within your reach - or take a more modest trip next time and use the difference to buy a small machine.

Our fellow countrymen and women are indeed the worst for making a huge fuss about a piece of medical equipment. I've found it doesn't even get to the airline regs because the airport security people have decreed that we can carry but a single piece of hand luggage - too much work for them to look at two bags in the X-ray machine?

Another thought: if a CPAP takes up all your hand luggage allowance, it is a very cumbersome machine - so I guess it is old so I guess you should get onto your sleep clinic for a modern machine. You need one that detaches from the humidifier base if you intend travelling with it. (Not as nice, but smaller, lighter, more compact without a humidifier.)

Dame Helena Shovelton, Chief Executive, British Lung Foundation

is a good person to lobby 

Airport hand baggage allowance and CPAP

Why do you say OSA is not a disability?

Tigers Fan said:

Let'1s begin by pointing out that OSA is NOT a disability.

Thee are two ways of flying with CPAP - the easy way and the way you appear to be doing it, Christine.

You can carry your CPAP extra to your luggage allowance but it MUST go in the hold to qualify. You'd have to be nuts to do that! So we carry it as hand luggage. Two things come into play then - the airport security restrictions and the airline regulations. You can circumvent both by carrying only one piece of hand baggage. Ah! I hear you cry - but my husband's NHS CPAP takes up all his hand baggage allowance. The way round that is to buy a small, compact CPAP for travelling (and back-up at home). Why should you? No reason - it's a choice. Battle on as you have been or take a pragmatic approach. From the trips you discuss, a travel CPAP is within your reach - or take a more modest trip next time and use the difference to buy a small machine.

Our fellow countrymen and women are indeed the worst for making a huge fuss about a piece of medical equipment. I've found it doesn't even get to the airline regs because the airport security people have decreed that we can carry but a single piece of hand luggage - too much work for them to look at two bags in the X-ray machine?

Another thought: if a CPAP takes up all your hand luggage allowance, it is a very cumbersome machine - so I guess it is old so I guess you should get onto your sleep clinic for a modern machine. You need one that detaches from the humidifier base if you intend travelling with it. (Not as nice, but smaller, lighter, more compact without a humidifier.)

Thanks

99 said:

Dame Helena Shovelton, Chief Executive, British Lung Foundation

is a good person to lobby 

Airport hand baggage allowance and CPAP

Re OSA and disabillity could I please draw attention to the British Snoring & Sleep Apnoea discussion blog April 2nd 2009 which includes a reply from the Equality Human Rights Commiission Helpline England . Clear guidance given from the helpline was shared in this blog from a sleep apnoea sufferer to raised the issues of OSA and DDA. Regards

Www.rightsatwork.co.uk:
"The Equality Act 2010 makes it unlawful to discriminate against someone because of their disability, their perceived disability or because they associate with someone who has a disability. This would, for example, include an able bodied person who cares for a disabled family member......examples of disabilities include diabetes, epilepsy, long term depression and sleep apnoea"

As a sleep apnoea partner then it would seem I am correct to pursue the issue of unfairness toward my partner regarding airport/airline varied regulations in UK for CPAP and personal hand luggage allowance. I look forward to receiving any further comments or guidance. Thanks

Christine Woods said:
Re OSA and disabillity could I please draw attention to the British Snoring & Sleep Apnoea discussion blog April 2nd 2009 which includes a reply from the Equality Human Rights Commiission Helpline England . Clear guidance given from the helpline was shared in this blog from a sleep apnoea sufferer to raised the issues of OSA and DDA. Regards

Extra to my reply below www.rightsatwork.co.uk re Equality Act 2010 also states:

'It is also unlawful to indirectly discriminate against a person because of theiIr disability by imposing a provision, criterion,or practice which puts them at a disadvantage when compared to others'

My personal view at this time regarding CPAP and travel has been raised earlier in my original discussion item. I think it is correct and reasonable for safety reasons to inform an airport/airline about carrying a CPAP on board a plane. What I think is unfair is for my partner not always being allowed the same personal hand luggage allowance as myself. Whether or not he decides to use this personal allowance would then be up to himself to decide. There seems to be a one bag rule for some UK airports/airlines, a rule which perhaps needs to be challenged??
I have sought guidance from a disability advice service and I am awaiting a reply.

':

Christine Woods said:

Www.rightsatwork.co.uk:
"The Equality Act 2010 makes it unlawful to discriminate against someone because of their disability, their perceived disability or because they associate with someone who has a disability. This would, for example, include an able bodied person who cares for a disabled family member......examples of disabilities include diabetes, epilepsy, long term depression and sleep apnoea"

As a sleep apnoea partner then it would seem I am correct to pursue the issue of unfairness toward my partner regarding airport/airline varied regulations in UK for CPAP and personal hand luggage allowance. I look forward to receiving any further comments or guidance. Thanks

Christine Woods said:

Christine, you are clearly exercised about OSA being a disability so I shall leave you to persue your perceived case of discrimination - but not without leaving you a couple of points to ponder.

There is no difference between an properly treated OSA sufferer and the next person - both sleep well, neither are disabled.

Whilst accepting that there are many, many this OSA sufferers and sufferers due to all sorts of reasons, most sufferers are fat - a self-inflicted condition not a disability.

Why would an airline want to carry a disabled person who may, at any moment whilst airborne, suffer an "OSA attack" and cause the plane to be diverted? They would claim the person is un-fit to fly. They would not be discriminating, merely safeguarding a life. Further, they provide power for CPAP in certain seats - expensive 1st Class seats - so the choice is yours.

Finally, which part of this planet is so far from any starting point you choose that you cannot fly there without sleep? Or stop off half way and check into a hotel.

Some rugby players have OSA. Imagine them claiming Disability Benefit! I have OSA - I'm not disabled.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Sleep Apnoea Forum

New to the Sleep Apnoea Forum? 

1. Stop by our Sleep Apnoea Welcome Center to introduce yourself to the SleepGuide community.
2. Start a New Topic of Conversation.
3. Post your photos - of yourself, your old CPAP machine, your new CPAP machine, your pet, something about you!

Interested in advertising, have a problem or need to contact us? Click the Report an Issue page.

Latest Activity

Jonathan replied to John's discussion Airsense 10 -humidifier runs dry
"I did replace the tank in my SleepCube, and had to regularly take the silicone sealing gasket out and give it a goof clean, but not infrequently found it standing in a pool of water in the morning.  The machine sat on a tray because of…"
Tuesday
John posted a discussion

Nasal valve collapse

Does anyone have any experience of nasal valve collapse?Wondering if I have this but I don't know what the norm is.Been trying widgets that hold the nose open and it's like night and day.See More
Sunday
John replied to John's discussion Airsense 10 -humidifier runs dry
"Wow it's the other way round for me.I found with the Sleepcube I'd often have a good bit of water still there in the morning. Today I woke up with a dry tank on the Resmed again and it's not on full heat or flow. I got it on 6…"
Sunday
Becky Murkin posted a discussion

F20 AirFit small marking bridge of nose

Please help or give advice all wise people on here.I have had the Resmed F20 AirFit small mask for over a month. Seals yet…See More
Mar 19
Frances Knight replied to Frances Knight's discussion Air Sense 10 - changing pressure settings
"A very helpful reply Jonathan. I found the pressure setting for the full face mask to be too high when I changed to a nasal mask, but perhaps I should have persisted? I'll try again and I'll also discuss with the clinic whether an APAP…"
Mar 13
Jonathan replied to Frances Knight's discussion Air Sense 10 - changing pressure settings
"Ramble alert!  My history is that I spent part of each week at a different location, so bought a second machine identical to my fixed pressure NHS machine and set it up to match using the clinician menu.  This was a very long time…"
Mar 12
Frances Knight replied to Frances Knight's discussion Air Sense 10 - changing pressure settings
"Thanks Jonathan - I had seen the YouTube video. My question is really about the experience of people who have control of their pressure settings, for example those people who have bought their machines directly and not obtained them through an NHS…"
Mar 12
Jonathan replied to Frances Knight's discussion Air Sense 10 - changing pressure settings
"This is NOT a recommendation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNUWhd2UgQM"
Mar 11
Frances Knight posted a discussion

Air Sense 10 - changing pressure settings

I have been successfully using my air sense 10 since OSA diagnosis, and my AHI is now under 2. I had an appointment with my clinic this week and have been told there is no need for further appointments and just to contact them if I need supplies or…See More
Mar 11
Swen Greve is now a member of Hope2SleepGuide
Mar 4
Jonathan replied to Sue Reeves's discussion A few questions..
"If you have a helpful GP, I would ask them to re-refer you to the sleep clinic."
Mar 3
Sue Reeves posted a discussion

A few questions..

A quick bit of backgroundDiagnosed with OSA about 7/8 years ago by my local sleep clinic and given a F &P Icon CPAP.  After a couple of follow-up appts to sort out any issues, I was sent on my merry way. I have had no further face to face…See More
Mar 3
Jonathan replied to John's discussion Airsense 10 -humidifier runs dry
"I previously had a DeVilbiss Sleepcube and the dehumidifier did sometimes run dry.  On the other hand I now have an AirSense 10 and it never runs dry, and I've had the humidity turned up high."
Feb 26
John posted a discussion

Airsense 10 -humidifier runs dry

Hi. I'm finding the Airsense 10 the hospital gave me, the humidifier chamber runs dry. It's not even on max settings, which I'm guessing would empty it a lot quicker. Seems like a big design oversight to me. Does anyone else have this trouble? The…See More
Feb 26
David Hudson posted a discussion

Decline in hearing

HiI have regular, well yearly check ups at work. One being a hearing test. Since having my cpap machine my hearing has declined rapidly in 1 ear.....could this be as a result of pressure? I believe I'm on 15cm p max h2o. I just use a nasal…See More
Feb 26
Profile Icontim richards, mark & les, Lesley Parks and 1 more joined Hope2SleepGuide
Feb 13
Jenny Wren replied to Jenny Wren's discussion Feeling Abandoned by the Sleep Clinic
"I've got lucky! I can collect a new machine next week. It's been really helpful to 'speak' to people here and to Kath. It alerted me to the fact that I'd slipped through the net. The clinic were very apologetic and now all…"
Feb 8
Ejog1 replied to Jenny Wren's discussion Feeling Abandoned by the Sleep Clinic
"Thanks. Good news for me today, my clinic did finally reply to me and they’re giving me a new machine. The person I spoke to was super helpful. The NHS clinics are great when you’re able to speak to them, but they seem to be…"
Feb 7
Jenny Wren replied to Jenny Wren's discussion Feeling Abandoned by the Sleep Clinic
"Yes, my machine is affected. Seems I slipped through the net. I'm now on the sleep clinic's radar again and am hopeful that this will be sorted soon. Thanks for your reply and stay well."
Feb 7
"I'm sorry to hear that. I emailed Kath about this and she was very helpful. She advised me to get in touch with my sleep clinic and I have had a reply from them. I so hope that you get a response soon."
Feb 7

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service