Hope2SleepGuide

Sleep Apnoea Forum Bringing Help + Support to the Patient

As posted before since August I Have been on Tamsulosin Hydrochloride for BPH. Unfortunately the twin side effects of dry mouth and nasal congestion have continued to escalate and are now serious. The nasal congestion prevents me from using a nasal mask anymore so I have aquired several new full face new style masks (dreamwear, resmed airfit and the hybrid) these are great and I end up mouth breathing. However, constantly mouth breathing whilst using cpap creates a serious medical condition where your lips and tongue stick to your teeth. I am expecting many people out there to have experienced this and would welcome their advice on what worked for them. I am at my wits end and only find some slight relief using synthetic saliva spray. I should add that I saw my GP who prescribed steroid nasal spray which might provide some answers but will take up to 6 weeks to click in. There is also a chance that the nose blockage uis due to polyps although the GP did not diagnose this. I have to find the answer to this as I am sitting up most nights because being verticle helps but of course it is without the cpap which most definitely worsens the dry mouth. Interestingly, my throat is not dry and my nose is completely blocked but clear of mucus.

Views: 47

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Eric, do you have a humidifier for your CPAP because thi is what helps most people?  If not, then ask the sleep clinic to supply you with one.

Also take a look at the Xylimelts for dry mouth which we sell at the charity as these too help a lot of people https://www.hope2sleep.co.uk/xylimelts-dry-mouth-discs.html

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Sleep Apnoea Forum

New to the Sleep Apnoea Forum? 

1. Stop by our Sleep Apnoea Welcome Center to introduce yourself to the SleepGuide community.
2. Start a New Topic of Conversation.
3. Post your photos - of yourself, your old CPAP machine, your new CPAP machine, your pet, something about you!

Interested in advertising, have a problem or need to contact us? Click the Report an Issue page.

Latest Activity

Edam replied to Edam's discussion Flexifit 432
"How can you get a large leak using a Oracle ?????. "
yesterday
Kath Hope replied to Edam's discussion Flexifit 432
"It's a shame nothing can be done about your polyps and septum, which is no doubt the cause of your issues.  It too hate the Oracle, but there are a lot of people who use it very successfully - just not you or I lol."
yesterday
"The option of last resort tonight Oracle Yuck!!!"
Monday
Nick Daniel updated their profile
Monday
"I have been seen by  ENT consultants who have diagnosed nasal polyps and a deviated septum. They have considered that surgery is too risky and as one of them said I can still breath through my mouth."
Monday
"I honestly don't know Edam, as people usually ask us how to keep their mouths closed rather than open.  It sounds like you need an ENT referral due to severe nasal issues.  I had to have some surgery to breathe better in the masks."
Sunday
"I tried the Simplus last night but the 95% pressure went up to 19.5 from 14 on previous nights using the 432. What can I use to keep my mouth open when using a Full Face Mask???"
Sunday
"Ah right.  We only got the Forma yesterday.  I must say I prefer the 431 and 432 but of course we're all different."
Saturday
Kath Hope replied to John Garbutt's discussion How long to get machine
"Yes I know John, and so often the missing jigsaw puzzle as to how we're feeling.  I was shocked when I got my own severe sleep apnoea diagnosis and CPAP really is a life saver.  Hope you don't have long to wait, and worth saying…"
Saturday
"I bought the 432 from you and would have gone to the Forma if you sold it at the time. The under chin design of the Flexifit/ Forma range of masks allow my mouth to stay open. With  nearly every other full face mask my mouth would close during…"
Saturday
John Garbutt replied to John Garbutt's discussion How long to get machine
"Many Thanks,will send them a mail om Monday. Cannot believe how debilitating sleep apnoae can be. "
Saturday
Kath Hope replied to John Garbutt's discussion How long to get machine
"Welcome John and good to hear you've been diagnosed now and especially with your sleep apnoea being severe.  It really depends on each sleep clinic as to how long you'll have to wait for your CPAP - some give them out immediately,…"
Saturday
"Hi Edam.  Good to hear the new mask is helping, and those F & P FlexiFit 431, 432 and Forma's are still a favourite for a lot of people due to the chin support.  (In fact we added the Forma to the charity's website yesterday…"
Saturday
John Garbutt posted a discussion

How long to get machine

I was diagnosed with severe obstructive sleep apnoea  four weeks ago and wondered  how long it take to get machineSee More
Saturday
John Garbutt is now a member of Hope2SleepGuide
Saturday
Edam posted a discussion

Flexifit 432

I have gone back to using a F & P Flexitfit 432 which has resolved the double inhaling and high pressure problem I have had with other masks.But after using it for a few days now I have found that the back of the headgear cuts into the crease…See More
Friday
Kath Hope replied to Richard Smith's discussion Philips Trueblue
"You're not on your own there Richard - lots of people are upset the Liquicell has lost it's CE mark and can no longer be sold in the UK.  I am still in touch with the manufacturer, begging for them to resolve it, and am waiting for…"
Feb 20
Richard Smith replied to Richard Smith's discussion Philips Trueblue
"Hi Kath, Yes, I’m looking for a mask that’s more comfortable for the bridge of my nose and doesn’t leak.  I miss the liquicell cushions and was looking to try a mask that used gel.  i tried nasal pillows but I kept…"
Feb 19
Profile Icontriker and Daniel Grist joined Hope2SleepGuide
Feb 19
Daniel Grist added a discussion to the group Buy-Sell-Swap
Thumbnail

Phillips dreamstation CPAP pro machine with heated humidifier and all accessories for sale

Phillips dreamstation CPAP pro machine with heated humidifier comes with all accessories including tubes face mask all manuals power leads and also carry bag only used a hand full of times like new open to offers many thanks. DanielSee More
Feb 18

© 2020   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service