Hope2SleepGuide

Sleep Apnoea Forum Bringing Help + Support to the Patient

Hello,have just found out my 3 yr old son has SA :((

Hello all. 
My son is 3 and has always been a poor sleeper from birth. He has had numeouros health problems,from bronclitis to asthma
We recently got referred to ent bcus he had glue ear. 
I mentioned his sleepin how poor it was,and that he sleep talks. Alway tired,and behaoiur is hard work in the daytime. 
So arranged a sleep study. 
Results was sleep apnea. 
Least seconds stop breathing was 15 most being 90!! Numerous times. 
They are goin to take his adenoid and tonsils out in the next 6 weeks. 
I'm bloody petrifed tho,now set up camp in his room to watch him. 
Is there anythin i can do?? 
Also anyone out there with kids simalir age? Can u offer any advice,exp etc. 
Thankyou. 
T x 

Views: 994

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Been looking forward to hearing your news Tracey, and you must be so relieved it's over.  I imagine it's very early days to see improvements as he'll no doubt still be very swollen.  Hope you see big improvements soon, and keep us informed please.  Best Wishes!

\Will do,thankyou. How long do u tink it willl take see improvements?

T x

like do u think the sleep apean b gone already? or i'm confused guess i should of asked.x

tracey clark said:

T x

Unfortunately Tracey, I don't know the answer to this, but from what I have heard others say, it can be up to 3 weeks.  I imagine it's due to the swelling, and I have heard people say that at first the snoring/snorting seems worse - again, possibly due to the operation itself.  The important thing is to insist on another sleep study to make sure it has cured the OSA, which I sincerely hope it has!

tracey clark said:

like do u think the sleep apean b gone already? or i'm confused guess i should of asked.x

tracey clark said:

T x

Hello Kath,quick update. No improvments yet :((( Doc said gotta wait till 6 weeks recovery. So it's been nearly 4 weeks now. Just wanted let you know how we was gettin on. 

Hope you're ok.

T x

I was just thinking about you today Tracey (been speaking to another Mum with similar problems who's awaiting an appointment).  2 more weeks to go.... then you'll be able to insist in getting more checks done if there's no improvement.  Meanwhile, hope there is......  Please keep us posted, and I've directed a few other mothers to this thread who are watching your progress.

Oh yes good idea,it's good to see others in same situation. He is relli no better at all. So shall see what happens,do u think there a possibilty he still has it? Or it's just to t early still,i relli did think we would see some improvement,he started pre school last week,full day and i tho he bound to sleep tonight,but nope he was worse. Anyhow i shall keep u posted over next few weeks. t xxx

Kath Hope said:

I was just thinking about you today Tracey (been speaking to another Mum with similar problems who's awaiting an appointment).  2 more weeks to go.... then you'll be able to insist in getting more checks done if there's no improvement.  Meanwhile, hope there is......  Please keep us posted, and I've directed a few other mothers to this thread who are watching your progress.

Aw Tracey, am so sorry you've not seen any improvement yet :(  I was so hoping you would by now, but I'm not an expert so maybe there's still time.  The most important thing is to push to have your son checked to see the proof either way via a sleep study.  Look forward to hearing your next news and hope it's positive.

PS  Am just sending you a private message too...

Hi Tracey,

I was referred to your post by Kath, I have just found her support site and she thought I might be able to help you as my son is the same. 

He is 3 and had his adenoids and tonsils out at 15 months old due to severe obstructive sleep apnoea. After an initial improvement, 6 months later the symptoms started to return and after much fighting to get seen and something done he had his adenoids removed again just after his 3rd birthday - although I told them at the time I didn't think this would solve the issue.

Straight after surgery he was in respiritory distress and on oxygen, then when he woke up they were gonna send him home as his oxygen sats returned to normal - as they would when a sleep apnoea patient is awake. I refused to leave and when monitoring him in his sleep they discovered I was right and he had to be put on oxygen again. They said it was just swelling but I didn't believe that for a minute. The consultant referred him to Great Ormond Street but they took too long to offer him a bed, so 2 weeks later he got referred to the Royal Brompton as they have a brand new sleep lab.

He still has sleep apnoea, but is being treated with a CPAP machine. I have to take him back this thursday night for another 2 night sleep study as he has started to snore and wake for breath again. His pressures need adjusting I'm told.

You are not alone - I understand your concerns - don't let it go, I feel I could have insisted more to get him sorted quicker, but you tend to trust doctors - and they all think they know best - but I have been proved right time and time again so trust your instincts. A mother knows her child better than anyone.

Leisa xx

Well he been terrible past few nights i mean scremin chockin etc. So rang his peadtrion said i wasn't happy to wait 2 months. So he is sortin another seep study for in the next 2 weeks yay!! xx

U relli have to push for these things i've noticed.

Thanks leisa for you're reply. 

I'm glad i'm not alone and have someone in same situation,althouh wish we hadn't. I wrote that above messae to kath last week so still waitin for the second sleep study. When my son had asthma attack he was in hossi for 2 days his sats when asleep were 77 or lower can't think now. When he was awake they was 94/96. So you're bob on there with the sleep apnea. When he had his op though he stayed overniht n when he was asleep they was 95. Never tho about this till now. But he is still wakin do same things,still throat clearin and chockin. So i can;t c it still bien iflamed. I didn't know u can have adenoids removed again i just assumed once they were gone they were gone.

How doe's your son cope with the cpap??? 

t xxxxx

Bumping this up Leisa have u seen my post???

Kath my son has had 5 quiet nights....wonder if were startin ti see improvements? t x

Hi Tracey,

Edward does well on the CPAP but he's always been quite accepting of new things if I tell him he has to have it.

The problems we seem to have now are getting the right mask fit and correct CPAP pressure, as I'm up half a dozen times at least every night as his mask is leaking and I have to reposition it.

Adenoids continue to grow until you're about 5 years old, so if they grow excessively they may need to be removed or scraped more than once, especially if they were removed at an early age. - We were warned of this by the Royal London Hospital who performed his initial surgery.

If your son has had 5 quiet nights it could be a sign that things are improving, but stay vigilant as it might just be a few good nights - Ed has that sometimes and then goes back to the bad again.

I hope it IS that he is improving, but still stay aware that things can begin to deteriorate again and don't leave it if that happens - it took me over a year to get him seen again and even then they didn't take me seriously until they saw it for themselves - be strong and don't take no for an answer.

Good luck

Leisa xxx 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Sleep Apnoea Forum

New to the Sleep Apnoea Forum? 

1. Stop by our Sleep Apnoea Welcome Center to introduce yourself to the SleepGuide community.
2. Start a New Topic of Conversation.
3. Post your photos - of yourself, your old CPAP machine, your new CPAP machine, your pet, something about you!

Interested in advertising, have a problem or need to contact us? Click the Report an Issue page.

Latest Activity

Andy Griffiths is now a member of Hope2SleepGuide
18 hours ago
Jonathan Lait is now a member of Hope2SleepGuide
Thursday
Becky Murkin replied to Becky Murkin's discussion F20 AirFit small marking bridge of nose
"no such luck getting F40 as was not in stock yet at the hospital. Tried the F30 but unfortunately my nose is so small that even the smallest mask is not small enough and leeks. Now trying out the Philips Dreamwear full mask/ Hybrid mask.  So…"
Thursday
Becky Murkin posted a discussion

mask "whiskers" marks

Hello lovely wise people,How do you prevent/ remove marks (indents) on your face left by mask for hours later. I call them my "whiskers". Still experimenting trying to loosen mask straps but keeping the seal.Using my Xylimelts at night for dry mouth…See More
Thursday
Becky Murkin replied to Becky Murkin's discussion F20 AirFit small marking bridge of nose
"I have an appointment with my NHS Respiratory physio team on Friday and will plead my case for an F30 or F40. They said to me last week they did not have f40 in as yet however they are soon to see resmed rep any day now."
May 7
Judy posted a discussion

Headgear tips please

Hi, this is a rather trivial question, and apologies if it isn't appropriate for this forum, but I’m hoping someone might have some tips.I use the Resmed N20 mask. I also dye my white hair roots with a decent brand (as it would take several years to…See More
May 6
Judy updated their profile
May 6
Jonathan replied to Iain Noble's discussion Resmed Airfit F20 Woes
"Hi.  No first hand experience, but you can see reviews here, which are mixed: https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed-airfit-f40-full-face-cpap-mask I notice cpap.com still appear to be selling the Quattro FX.  I have imported stuff from…"
Apr 28
Iain Noble posted a discussion

Resmed Airfit F20 Woes

Dear FolksI have been using the Resmed Quattro FX mask ever since I was diagnosed over 7 years ago.…See More
Apr 28
Iain Noble replied to Becky Murkin's discussion F20 AirFit small marking bridge of nose
"Hi All I can say is I feel your pain! I got the F20 as a replacement this year and it is very uncomfortable. I have just ordered the new Resmed F40 which is very small and light and so far it has been a lot easier to use for a mouth breather that…"
Apr 28
Sarah Martin is now a member of Hope2SleepGuide
Apr 27
jjimjam updated their profile
Apr 17
Kath Hope replied to Becky Murkin's discussion noisy humidifier normal?
"It sounds like you're getting rainout issues (condensation) so here's an article to help with this. www.hope2sleep.co.uk/water-in-the-mask-hose-known-as-rainout"
Apr 16

noisy humidifier normal?

Hello,I have an air sense 10 auto.When I have the humidifier and the heated tube plugged in it makes a sort of drumming noise. Like that at the gallows in films.Is this normal? It wakes me up  and I have to give up and switch off  for the night.See More
Apr 16
John posted a discussion

Dentists in Hull that know about Mewing ?

I was wondering if there are any dentists in Hull who know about John & Mike Mew, and changing jaw shape over time?I could add that I saw an ENT consultant recently and she said jaw shape, malocclusion, is genetic, which has become a debatable…See More
Apr 9
Profile IconKaren Mcleod, Fiona Watson, Teresa Hobbs and 5 more joined Hope2SleepGuide
Apr 3
Jonathan replied to John's discussion Airsense 10 -humidifier runs dry
"I did replace the tank in my SleepCube, and had to regularly take the silicone sealing gasket out and give it a goof clean, but not infrequently found it standing in a pool of water in the morning.  The machine sat on a tray because of…"
Mar 26
John posted a discussion

Nasal valve collapse

Does anyone have any experience of nasal valve collapse?Wondering if I have this but I don't know what the norm is.Been trying widgets that hold the nose open and it's like night and day.See More
Mar 24
John replied to John's discussion Airsense 10 -humidifier runs dry
"Wow it's the other way round for me.I found with the Sleepcube I'd often have a good bit of water still there in the morning. Today I woke up with a dry tank on the Resmed again and it's not on full heat or flow. I got it on 6…"
Mar 24

F20 AirFit small marking bridge of nose

Please help or give advice all wise people on here.I have had the Resmed F20 AirFit small mask for over a month. Seals yet…See More
Mar 19

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service