Hope2SleepGuide

Sleep Apnoea Forum Bringing Help + Support to the Patient

Do all UK NHS Sleep Clinics supply similar CPAP models or do they vary depending on where you live?

My partner has had his CPAP for years and has asked his NHS clinic if he could get a smaller model more suitable for travel. He has been told this is not possible. He has been told the only way he could get another CPAP would be if the CPAP stopped working ie was dropped.

A friend in another part of the UK said he was given a travel CPAP with I understand no problem.

A private CPAP seems to cost up to,£500.00 and if bought we have been told the NHS would not service or maintain.

What is the answer for our future holidays? Can my partner rent a CPAP which has the blessing of our NHS ?

Views: 224

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It all depends where you live and to how your hospital handles things.  Most clinics have a regular supplier where they get the best prices.  Some clinics use a few different ones.  My local clinic supplies the Devilbiss Sleep Cubes, but they will seek out different machines if needs arise.  Other clinics will/cannot co-operate like this for whatever reason :(  The same goes for the masks - some clinics only supply one brand or two at the most, which is not helpful.  Other clinics get as many different options as they can.  It would be good if all masks were available, as it's not the manufacturer we favour, it's the particular mask that suits us.  For example, my favourite is the FitLife mask by Respironics, but my second favourite is the Hybrid which Devilbiss supply.  Other people have different choices to suit their own faces.  As for your clinic saying they wouldn't service your own machine if you bought one, that's another sad case which some clinics state, but thankfully a lot will look after your own machine.

Renting a CPAP just for holidays would prove expensive, and the chances are that the machine will be second hand.  I personally wouldn't like a used machine unless I knew whose house it had come from.  There's all sort of horror stories about people getting machines which have been used in smokers homes or having to endure the not-so-pleasant aromas from other peoples pets.

Welcome to the forum by the way Christine :)

We live in Scotland and have just joined SASA.

I wil share this when possible with them and perhaps they have links with the Scottish Government for helping their sleep apnea community for travelling and the CPAP challenges you mention. Thanks

Keep us in the loop Christine when you've spoken to them.  I have a lot of customers and contacts with OSA in Scotland, so it would be good to share this with them.

If you look on the 'Events' page on here, you'll see I've put one up for the SASA meeting, so if you hear of any more details let me know please, and I'll edit the Event.

I'm in the privileged position of being able to afford not to have to be restricted by the NHS for my CPAP - earlier this year I bought myself a new machine and now keep the old one in the car for travel, giving me the flexibility when working away to have a machine with me at all times. As I need to travel for business it seemed like a worthwhile investment and means I have a top-spec machine at home (the f&p icon).

Fixed pressure sleep cubes seem to be about £250, another 150 for the humidifier (but he may be ok for a few nights without), masks are in the £100 region but just keep the old ones as the NHS gives you replacements :)

Thanks, do you,live in the UK? If so were you assessed again by the company
or did the supplier have to get a report from your NHS sleep clinic?

We could afford to buy but not sure if the NHS would then recognise the private CPAP use also for long-tem management of,sleep apnea using CPAP with humidifier

You need to get the prescription from your clinic to purchase one.  Some manufacturers liaise with your clinic - often delivering them there so that they can set it up for you for your prescribed pressures.  I wouldn't worry about them saying they won't carry out the maintenance on them, as the clinics usually just replace the tubing and filters, which you can get yourself.  The filters are supposed to be changed more than once a year anyway.  The clinic will still be able to get the data from your husband's machine - whichever brand it is.  The Sleep Cube that Symmit mentioned is a good one for travel.  I prefer my Respironics System One, but do take the Sleep Cube away with me.

The NHS clinic can "get over it" in my opinion. You can contact them for a prescription or letter to send to an on-line supplier (can I mention where I got mine from Kath?) or the supplier will contact them directly. I was assessed privately and kept copies of my sleep study and all correspondence and that was enough for them. They are easy to set up...

Thanks , my partner" s Clinic appointments are yearly so we have until October to find out more. He is downstairs snoring on the couch just now , will tell him when he wakes up!

He needs to use his CPAP for ALL sleeps Christine, as he'll still be having apnoeas. 

Wish you,could tell him that yourself, are you on YOU TUBE? I hope he joins your page but don't think he would. If he agrees I will forward his email, has just got a new computer. Still snoring downstairs, I am upstairs in bed , snoring rattles the house!!!

Maybe this post will change his mind, and there been 3 more cases like this in the past few months.

I'm not on YouTube - everywhere else though LOL

That is really helpful knowing we are not alone. Yearly check-ups by a technician at the sleep clinc for my partner are not enough for his compliance for the rest of the year - and for my sleeping with him well. I see more of the spare bedroom now than I ever did, hence my page

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Sleep Apnoea Forum

New to the Sleep Apnoea Forum? 

1. Stop by our Sleep Apnoea Welcome Center to introduce yourself to the SleepGuide community.
2. Start a New Topic of Conversation.
3. Post your photos - of yourself, your old CPAP machine, your new CPAP machine, your pet, something about you!

Interested in advertising, have a problem or need to contact us? Click the Report an Issue page.

Latest Activity

Jonathan replied to Jim Scullion's discussion UK Attendance Allowance
"My sleep apnoea just requires me to pop a mask on before I go to bed.  But your circumstances may be different."
Sep 16
Jim Scullion posted a discussion

UK Attendance Allowance

Does anyone know if Obstructive Sleep Apnoea can be the basis for a claim for attendance allowance in the UK?See More
Sep 14
Anthony N is now a member of Hope2SleepGuide
Sep 11
Amanda Lucas is now a member of Hope2SleepGuide
Sep 10
Profile IconHeidi Castro Ledwych and marion Edwards joined Hope2SleepGuide
Sep 9
Profile IconNiki tillson, Canyon and T-Bone joined Hope2SleepGuide
Sep 5
Sarah Kirton is now a member of Hope2SleepGuide
Aug 25
Kath Hope replied to Antony Warren's discussion CPAP machine as cabin baggage on aeroplane
"Yes I empathise, as it was a similar story to mine with Virgin (not chasing them for my official confirmation). Even worse though was they said I couldn't use it and therefore couldn't fly due to my fit-to-fly letter stipulating I need it…"
Aug 25
Jonathan replied to Antony Warren's discussion CPAP machine as cabin baggage on aeroplane
"Ah, yes, I hadn't spotted Vueling's statement.  Thank you.  And your tags are very similar to the one I purchased at the start of my CPAP journey in the 15+ years ago. My only bad experience (as I have written about here) was…"
Aug 25
Kath Hope replied to Antony Warren's discussion CPAP machine as cabin baggage on aeroplane
"The link I provided to Vueling had sub-links Jonathan and this is from one of them about carrying medication onboard, and clearly states you can carry CPAP at no extra charge. I was impressed at the info provided from a flight company I'd not…"
Aug 25
Jonathan replied to Antony Warren's discussion CPAP machine as cabin baggage on aeroplane
"I have a large swing-tag attached to mine.  This appears to be an up-to-date equivalent https://www.cpap.com/productpage/medical-identification-luggage-tag-cpap-equipment The only short-haul flight I have taken was with British Airways, and it…"
Aug 25
Kath Hope replied to The SleepGuide Crew's discussion Welcome to our Forum - Feel Free to Introduce Yourself Here.
"Glad you found us Antony. I had a sleep endoscopy by Bhik Kotecha many years ago but I told him he was coming nowhere near me with his scalpel lol, as I have too many reasons for my severe sleep apnoea. We have Dr Vik Veer now who runs the UCLH…"
Aug 24
Kath Hope replied to Antony Warren's discussion Reporting to DVLA
"DVLA just create problems by not being clear about things. At least you won't need to tick the box next time as it says 'a condition you haven't reported before.' Glad this came up though as we get lots of DVLA queries at the…"
Aug 24
Antony Warren replied to Antony Warren's discussion Reporting to DVLA
"Thanks Kath, I'll hope that they don't pick up on it if I don't tick that box in three years time! I'll apply in good time just in case."
Aug 24
Antony Warren replied to The SleepGuide Crew's discussion Welcome to our Forum - Feel Free to Introduce Yourself Here.
"So pleased to have found this site, thank you. I'm a retired doctor and have had OSA for about 20 years despite having a BMI of 23, only ever sleeping on my side and not smoking. Over that time I have had five successful procedures of…"
Aug 24
Antony Warren replied to Antony Warren's discussion CPAP machine as cabin baggage on aeroplane
"Thanks Kath, I had tried to contact Vueling about this but hadn't found the web page so that's really helpful."
Aug 24
"I had to check out Vueling as it's not a flight company we've been asked about before (perhaps they're newish). If you go to this page on their website you'll see it states you can take the CPAP in its bag and store it under the…"
Aug 23
Kath Hope replied to Antony Warren's discussion Reporting to DVLA
"Thanks for bringing this up Antony as it's going to cause confusion like it did with you. The most important word when completing the form is 'Syndrome,' ie Sleep Apnoea 'Syndrome.' The DVLA call it Sleep Apnoea…"
Aug 23
Antony Warren posted discussions
Aug 23
Antony Warren is now a member of Hope2SleepGuide
Aug 22

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service