Hope2SleepGuide

Sleep Apnoea Forum Bringing Help + Support to the Patient

Do all UK NHS Sleep Clinics supply similar CPAP models or do they vary depending on where you live?

My partner has had his CPAP for years and has asked his NHS clinic if he could get a smaller model more suitable for travel. He has been told this is not possible. He has been told the only way he could get another CPAP would be if the CPAP stopped working ie was dropped.

A friend in another part of the UK said he was given a travel CPAP with I understand no problem.

A private CPAP seems to cost up to,£500.00 and if bought we have been told the NHS would not service or maintain.

What is the answer for our future holidays? Can my partner rent a CPAP which has the blessing of our NHS ?

Views: 216

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It all depends where you live and to how your hospital handles things.  Most clinics have a regular supplier where they get the best prices.  Some clinics use a few different ones.  My local clinic supplies the Devilbiss Sleep Cubes, but they will seek out different machines if needs arise.  Other clinics will/cannot co-operate like this for whatever reason :(  The same goes for the masks - some clinics only supply one brand or two at the most, which is not helpful.  Other clinics get as many different options as they can.  It would be good if all masks were available, as it's not the manufacturer we favour, it's the particular mask that suits us.  For example, my favourite is the FitLife mask by Respironics, but my second favourite is the Hybrid which Devilbiss supply.  Other people have different choices to suit their own faces.  As for your clinic saying they wouldn't service your own machine if you bought one, that's another sad case which some clinics state, but thankfully a lot will look after your own machine.

Renting a CPAP just for holidays would prove expensive, and the chances are that the machine will be second hand.  I personally wouldn't like a used machine unless I knew whose house it had come from.  There's all sort of horror stories about people getting machines which have been used in smokers homes or having to endure the not-so-pleasant aromas from other peoples pets.

Welcome to the forum by the way Christine :)

We live in Scotland and have just joined SASA.

I wil share this when possible with them and perhaps they have links with the Scottish Government for helping their sleep apnea community for travelling and the CPAP challenges you mention. Thanks

Keep us in the loop Christine when you've spoken to them.  I have a lot of customers and contacts with OSA in Scotland, so it would be good to share this with them.

If you look on the 'Events' page on here, you'll see I've put one up for the SASA meeting, so if you hear of any more details let me know please, and I'll edit the Event.

I'm in the privileged position of being able to afford not to have to be restricted by the NHS for my CPAP - earlier this year I bought myself a new machine and now keep the old one in the car for travel, giving me the flexibility when working away to have a machine with me at all times. As I need to travel for business it seemed like a worthwhile investment and means I have a top-spec machine at home (the f&p icon).

Fixed pressure sleep cubes seem to be about £250, another 150 for the humidifier (but he may be ok for a few nights without), masks are in the £100 region but just keep the old ones as the NHS gives you replacements :)

Thanks, do you,live in the UK? If so were you assessed again by the company
or did the supplier have to get a report from your NHS sleep clinic?

We could afford to buy but not sure if the NHS would then recognise the private CPAP use also for long-tem management of,sleep apnea using CPAP with humidifier

You need to get the prescription from your clinic to purchase one.  Some manufacturers liaise with your clinic - often delivering them there so that they can set it up for you for your prescribed pressures.  I wouldn't worry about them saying they won't carry out the maintenance on them, as the clinics usually just replace the tubing and filters, which you can get yourself.  The filters are supposed to be changed more than once a year anyway.  The clinic will still be able to get the data from your husband's machine - whichever brand it is.  The Sleep Cube that Symmit mentioned is a good one for travel.  I prefer my Respironics System One, but do take the Sleep Cube away with me.

The NHS clinic can "get over it" in my opinion. You can contact them for a prescription or letter to send to an on-line supplier (can I mention where I got mine from Kath?) or the supplier will contact them directly. I was assessed privately and kept copies of my sleep study and all correspondence and that was enough for them. They are easy to set up...

Thanks , my partner" s Clinic appointments are yearly so we have until October to find out more. He is downstairs snoring on the couch just now , will tell him when he wakes up!

He needs to use his CPAP for ALL sleeps Christine, as he'll still be having apnoeas. 

Wish you,could tell him that yourself, are you on YOU TUBE? I hope he joins your page but don't think he would. If he agrees I will forward his email, has just got a new computer. Still snoring downstairs, I am upstairs in bed , snoring rattles the house!!!

Maybe this post will change his mind, and there been 3 more cases like this in the past few months.

I'm not on YouTube - everywhere else though LOL

That is really helpful knowing we are not alone. Yearly check-ups by a technician at the sleep clinc for my partner are not enough for his compliance for the rest of the year - and for my sleeping with him well. I see more of the spare bedroom now than I ever did, hence my page

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Sleep Apnoea Forum

New to the Sleep Apnoea Forum? 

1. Stop by our Sleep Apnoea Welcome Center to introduce yourself to the SleepGuide community.
2. Start a New Topic of Conversation.
3. Post your photos - of yourself, your old CPAP machine, your new CPAP machine, your pet, something about you!

Interested in advertising, have a problem or need to contact us? Click the Report an Issue page.

Latest Activity

Irene Price is now a member of Hope2SleepGuide
Tuesday
John posted a discussion

A tale of two nasal dilators

Trying to get my nose to stay open, I've been experimenting with nasal dilators.So far I tried two types.- Generic tubes from ebay, 50p each- Fancy Airmax £10Both are moulded silicon rubber.I would say the packaging for the Airmax, which is really…See More
Jun 9
Jonathan replied to John's discussion Airsense 10 -humidifier runs dry
"Dab hand with a sewing machine :)  The "stethoscope" pipes were detachable with a bit of careful persuasion."
Jun 8
John replied to John's discussion Airsense 10 -humidifier runs dry
"How did you fasten it?I suppose you could do it with tape or elastic bands. Cut up an old fleece jacket, wrap it round the tube, strap it up, bit of velcro. That sort of thing. I hadn't really thought of that."
Jun 8
"Come to think of it you could likely double up a hose cozy, one over another.This is a piece of N95 face mask I used for high grade filtration. I just put it where the filter usually goes.This is around 6 months dirt I would say, thereabouts. I used…"
Jun 8
"Neat clip for your hose! I used to use the Respironics Comfort Curve one of the best masks ever, now discontinued of course.  With its stethoscope-style tubing, I had to make my own fleecy cover."
Jun 8
"Oh cool. Did you do any other DIY mods?I made a clamped strap to go on the headboard and lift the tube. Just a spare c-clamp with a bit of nylon strap and a clip but works well."
Jun 8
"Yes, I bought some fleecy material and made my own "snuggle hose" 10+ years ago. "
Jun 8
"Did you try a sleeve for the tube, Jonathan? For rain out? I got one off ebay for a few quid and I think it helps. It's a fleece sleeve  you zip over the main tube."
Jun 7
John posted a discussion

Oropharyngeal exercises

I asked medics at the Castle Hill CPAP clinic about tongue and throat exercises. They said no evidence, and it can't work anyway because the muscles fully relax during sleep.Yet I'm watching Vik Veer, head of ENT at a London hospital, offer evidence…See More
Jun 7
John replied to John's discussion Nasal valve collapse
"Well I found out what the norm was by asking my doctor to do the Cottle maneuver on herself, and she said there was no difference with and without.Whereas for me it's massively different.The Cottle maneuver is where you pull the skin by the…"
May 31
John replied to John's discussion Short apneas - official definition
"It's a suspiciously round number I wonder how they arrived at it?I asked the People at Castle Hill and they didn't really enlighten me on it, but I was told that it's normal for people to have apnoeas, which I didn't know.I…"
May 31
Kath Hope replied to John's discussion Short apneas - official definition
"An apnoea or hypopnoea of less than 10 seconds won't be reported as an event, in the same way they're not reported on a sleep study, as that's the cut-off point."
May 31
Emma Matthews is now a member of Hope2SleepGuide
May 31
Anne Olson is now a member of Hope2SleepGuide
May 30
John posted a discussion

Short apneas - official definition

I'm reading the Resmed definition of apnea and hypopnia."Apnea" means "no breath." An apnea happens when you stop breathing for 10 seconds or longer during sleep."Hypopnea is a partial blockage of the airway (shallow breathing). During a hypopnea,…See More
May 22
Andy Griffiths is now a member of Hope2SleepGuide
May 20
Jonathan Lait is now a member of Hope2SleepGuide
May 16
Becky Murkin replied to Becky Murkin's discussion F20 AirFit small marking bridge of nose
"no such luck getting F40 as was not in stock yet at the hospital. Tried the F30 but unfortunately my nose is so small that even the smallest mask is not small enough and leeks. Now trying out the Philips Dreamwear full mask/ Hybrid mask.  So…"
May 16
Becky Murkin posted a discussion

mask "whiskers" marks

Hello lovely wise people,How do you prevent/ remove marks (indents) on your face left by mask for hours later. I call them my "whiskers". Still experimenting trying to loosen mask straps but keeping the seal.Using my Xylimelts at night for dry mouth…See More
May 16

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service