Hope2SleepGuide

Sleep Apnoea Forum Bringing Help + Support to the Patient

Welcome to our Forum - Feel Free to Introduce Yourself Here.

Welcome to the Hope2SleepGuide Forum, which is a service run by the Hope2Sleep Charity founded by Kath Hope with a marvellous team of trustees and volunteers. 

Kath herself has severe sleep apnoea and hypoventilation/hypercapnia, and has used CPAP for several years and is now on non-invasive ventilation.  Our trustees and volunteers are all either sufferers of sleep disordered breathing or clinicians/medics working in this field, and most importantly, we are all passionate in supporting (with empathy) others and raising awareness to help people live healthier and more energised lives.

 

Whilst we do not give medical advice, more often than not, with support, tips and knowledge, people can overcome any problems experienced with our therapy, and there is a whole page dedicated to this on the website http://www.hope2sleep.co.uk/tips-for-problems-sleeping-with-cpap-or...

 

Please come and join us, and don’t feel obligated to use your ‘real’ name if you prefer to remain anonymous as this is a public forum.  Don’t be shy in posting and sharing, as we’re all in this together and to help each other.

Best Wishes for good sleep!

Kath

Views: 8201

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So - I am proud to announce I am now a true CPAP sleeper - this hosehead has finally found the solution in the guise of the mask covers.  The difference is totally amazing - I can sleep though the night - something which has alluded me for a year of CPAPing.  These really have changed my life.  A week on and I can honestly say that apart from the usual stress of life generally that I sleep as I should - in fact one night I sleep for an overwhelming 12 hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If anyone has any issue with mask leakage, night sweating which causes the mask to slip, or general aversion to the silicon which covers the mask then these covers are for you.  I can only say thank you and I will continue to update you with progress as I am one of those pesky people who things work for, for a while then all goes back to chaos, so keep up with this thread and this hosehead will provide you with the mask cover update as she progresses through her journey.

MASSIVE thanks again to my Mum for reading the Daily Mail with Kath Hope bearing all that is Sleep Apneoa !!!!!

Fabulous news Sam, and good old Mum coming to the rescue :)  It's the little things that can make such a huge difference to us 'hose heads' and I'm delighted to hear the Silent Night Mask Liners have done that for you - as well as countless others (myself included)!

Sam said:

So - I am proud to announce I am now a true CPAP sleeper - this hosehead has finally found the solution in the guise of the mask covers.  The difference is totally amazing - I can sleep though the night - something which has alluded me for a year of CPAPing.  These really have changed my life.  A week on and I can honestly say that apart from the usual stress of life generally that I sleep as I should - in fact one night I sleep for an overwhelming 12 hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If anyone has any issue with mask leakage, night sweating which causes the mask to slip, or general aversion to the silicon which covers the mask then these covers are for you.  I can only say thank you and I will continue to update you with progress as I am one of those pesky people who things work for, for a while then all goes back to chaos, so keep up with this thread and this hosehead will provide you with the mask cover update as she progresses through her journey.

MASSIVE thanks again to my Mum for reading the Daily Mail with Kath Hope bearing all that is Sleep Apneoa !!!!!

Hi everyone.

I have recently been diagnosed with Obstructive sleep apnoea syndrome. Details as follows, Epworth score was 13 and my overnight  oximetry showed I was dipping down 54 times and hour greater than 4%. The doctor said this is severe. I have a bmi of 26 and no other health issues.

The NHS have fitted me out with a CPAP machine, resmed 10 with a airfield mask, standard issue I think. After a brief, this is what you do, off in went.

Now into my second week and I am slowly getting used to it.

It's not the best thing time have go wear to bed but needs must.

I seem to have all the normal issues, occasional mask leakage, dry mouth and pillow trouble, but it seems to be working so I'll persevere. 

Question,  does anyone have any thoughts on pillows, are cpap pillows worth the money?

Hello Simon and welcome to the site. You will also find lots of help and information if you join Kath's Facebook group.

In answer to your question, I've tried a CPAP pillow and found it made no difference, but we are all different so it might work for you. I like a really good thick soft pillow myself, while others prefer those V-shape ones.

When I was first diagnosed I had a similar BMI to yours - and still have, which shows you don't need to be obese or grossly overweight to suffer from OSA. My body fat percentage is actually very low - practically athlete level - which proves anybody can have OSA. My Epworth scores were low too, between 3 and 5 and I only got referred because a cardiologist could find no obvious cause for dangerously high blood pressure and wanted to look at night time oxygen levels.

Stick with it - it took me 18 years or more to get the right combination of mask and machine, but things have moved on a lot since so you should not need to wait that long. Adjusting to the equipment is a pain, I know, but worth it in the long term. Your dry mouth might be helped by humidification. I think the Resmed 10 has a built in humidifier so that might need adjusting. Occasional mask leaks are par for the course, but you might get on better with a different mask. I use nasal pillows but am not a mouth breather so they are good for me. They don't seem to suit the majority of patients though.



simon Harwood said:

Hi everyone.

I have recently been diagnosed with Obstructive sleep apnoea syndrome. Details as follows, Epworth score was 13 and my overnight  oximetry showed I was dipping down 54 times and hour greater than 4%. The doctor said this is severe. I have a bmi of 26 and no other health issues.

The NHS have fitted me out with a CPAP machine, resmed 10 with a airfield mask, standard issue I think. After a brief, this is what you do, off in went.

Now into my second week and I am slowly getting used to it.

It's not the best thing time have go wear to bed but needs must.

I seem to have all the normal issues, occasional mask leakage, dry mouth and pillow trouble, but it seems to be working so I'll persevere. 

Question,  does anyone have any thoughts on pillows, are cpap pillows worth the money?

Hello

I'm Dave and sick of feeling tired all the time...I want to get my life back and I hope this forum can help..

Hello Dave

Have you had a sleep study or been diagnosed with sleep apnoea? That's definitely the first step. Have you filled out the Epworth questionnaire? A high score on that is likely to set things in motion for therapy to relieve your tiredness. Kath also has a private Facebook group that is full of good advice and support - why not join that too?

All the best

You don't provide a lot of information about your problem. Have you consulted your local doctor? In my case I was tired all the time and my wife complained of my loud snoring. My sister pointed out that as well as snoring very loudly I was stopping breathing every few minutes. My doctor referred me to the sleep clinic at our local hospital and they got me to use a home oximetry kit to check my pulse and blood oxygen saturation level whilst sleeping. They diagnosed moderate sleep apnea and I was prescribed a mask,and pump. Now that I am using the pump my sleep is much better, I have stopped snorng and I am not tired all the time.

DaveHumphrey said:

Hello

I'm Dave and sick of feeling tired all the time...I want to get my life back and I hope this forum can help..

Iain, DaveHumphrey had also started a new discussion about why he's so tired here on this link http://hope2sleepguide.co.uk/forum/topics/advice-on-s9-equipment

Iain Noble said:

You don't provide a lot of information about your problem. Have you consulted your local doctor? In my case I was tired all the time and my wife complained of my loud snoring. My sister pointed out that as well as snoring very loudly I was stopping breathing every few minutes. My doctor referred me to the sleep clinic at our local hospital and they got me to use a home oximetry kit to check my pulse and blood oxygen saturation level whilst sleeping. They diagnosed moderate sleep apnea and I was prescribed a mask,and pump. Now that I am using the pump my sleep is much better, I have stopped snorng and I am not tired all the time.

DaveHumphrey said:

Hello

I'm Dave and sick of feeling tired all the time...I want to get my life back and I hope this forum can help..

Hi Folks,

I'm new on here and new to my OSA diagnosis. I did my overnight test 3 weeks ago and on Monday picked up a CPAP machine from the sleep clinic at my local hospital.

Despite having suffered the symptoms for many years, Constant tiredness, Morning headaches, Waking coughing, Endless nocturnal toilet trips, only recently when my girlfriend happened to say "You know you stop breathing when youre asleep - right?" I finally pursued a referral to a sleep clinic.

The initial diagnosis of severe Obstructive Sleep Apnoea and a 'score' of 61 apnoea episodes really hit me hard, the first night Monday (only 3 nights ago) felt awful, I felt utterly defective, abnormal and a failure.

That said having struggled to initially get to sleep with this weird mask on my face the results even the next morning on only a few hours sleep were startling.

3 nights on and the results are already unbelievable, I'm actually awake, not in a grey brain fog, not constantly tired and the permanent fog of non-specific depression seems to have lifted almost overnight.

I'm really glad I found this forum as it makes me feel a bit more 'normal'.

Thanks

Tone

Hi Tone

Welcome to the league of hoseheads,  my experience was just like yours, amazing isn't it, best is no drugs.


Hello Tone, glad the therapy is working for you. You might like to consider joining the Facebook group associated with this site. It's more active than the forum and there is a lot of support available. More important perhaps, there are many who are struggling with the treatment who would be encouraged by your positive story.

Tony Cota said:

Hi Folks,

I'm new on here and new to my OSA diagnosis. I did my overnight test 3 weeks ago and on Monday picked up a CPAP machine from the sleep clinic at my local hospital.

Despite having suffered the symptoms for many years, Constant tiredness, Morning headaches, Waking coughing, Endless nocturnal toilet trips, only recently when my girlfriend happened to say "You know you stop breathing when youre asleep - right?" I finally pursued a referral to a sleep clinic.

The initial diagnosis of severe Obstructive Sleep Apnoea and a 'score' of 61 apnoea episodes really hit me hard, the first night Monday (only 3 nights ago) felt awful, I felt utterly defective, abnormal and a failure.

That said having struggled to initially get to sleep with this weird mask on my face the results even the next morning on only a few hours sleep were startling.

3 nights on and the results are already unbelievable, I'm actually awake, not in a grey brain fog, not constantly tired and the permanent fog of non-specific depression seems to have lifted almost overnight.

I'm really glad I found this forum as it makes me feel a bit more 'normal'.

Thanks

Tone

Welcome Tone and glad you found us.  Hope you've thanked your girlfriend for this new lease of life lol.  Yes, we're the lucky ones who have been diagnosed as sleep apnoea is far more common than people think.  I did email you earlier by the way, and great to hear what a good start you've had to the CPAP therapy.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Sleep Apnoea Forum

New to the Sleep Apnoea Forum? 

1. Stop by our Sleep Apnoea Welcome Center to introduce yourself to the SleepGuide community.
2. Start a New Topic of Conversation.
3. Post your photos - of yourself, your old CPAP machine, your new CPAP machine, your pet, something about you!

Interested in advertising, have a problem or need to contact us? Click the Report an Issue page.

 

Latest Activity

Glassdaisy joined The SleepGuide Crew's group
11 hours ago
Edam replied to Edam's discussion Double inhaling
"Its me not the machine. The S9 has been checked by Resmed and no fault was found but the circuit board was changed as a precaution. I have used another S9 but had the same problem. I have been told by the hospital that despite my AHI being under 1…"
Tuesday
Sleep2snore replied to Edam's discussion Double inhaling
"Don't rule out a fault with the machine or restricted airflow. I would also not rule out that you might be one of the few that needs a different machine. In any case, it should not go to 20 and sit there, I would get it checked or replaced. If…"
Tuesday
Edam replied to Edam's discussion Double inhaling
"Before I make a decision I am going to try something different. I have noticed that when it goes up to 20 most times it has done so when the pressure has dropped to minimum which is 12 at present. I will increase the minimum pressure to 14 so…"
Monday
Edam replied to Edam's discussion Double inhaling
"I think its time to make a decision. Either buy another make of APAP or get referred to another hospital which supplies a different make"
Monday
Sleep2snore replied to Edam's discussion Double inhaling
"That is hard to believe.  A pressure of 20 is quite high and very few require that amount of pressure. 1 ltr/min is nothing, the machine should cope with that without any problems at all. A lot of people get mixed up with pressure and…"
Sunday
Edam replied to Edam's discussion Double inhaling
"I thought I had this problem solved but it got stuck at 20 again last night. My 95% pressure was 19, AHI  0.1 and leak 1 l/min. Sleepyhead shows that it was stuck at 20 for approx 30 mins ."
Sunday
Debra Wells is now a member of Hope2SleepGuide
Nov 9
Sleep2snore replied to Ruth Furniss's discussion Cold air
"Don't know what machine ou have, but a heated hose can help a lot. You can get them as a stand alone but it is not ideal. If your machine has the facility for a heated hose it might be worth the investment. Heating the room will help."
Oct 30
Sleep2snore replied to Renee Rowlands's discussion Recommendation please for Oximeter purchase.
"There are plenty on the market, but one thing I would make sure it did was to store the data for printing or downloading. There are plenty that say they do this and don't, so be aware of buying off Amazon or Ebay."
Oct 28
Kath Hope replied to Ruth Furniss's discussion Cold air
"Like you say yourself Ruth, warming up the bedroom will help, but also if you don't have a heated humidifier then that would help - as will covering the tube with a Hose Cover."
Oct 28
Steve Bacall is now a member of Hope2SleepGuide
Oct 28
Ruth Furniss posted a discussion

Cold air

Hi I have sleep apnoea & Copd this is my first winter using cpap, found it very hard to sleep last night because of breathing in cold air was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to warm the air up besides sleeping in a warm room? I…See More
Oct 28
Mark Darbyshire is now a member of Hope2SleepGuide
Oct 20
Bill Thomson added a discussion to the group Buy-Sell-Swap
Thumbnail

ResMed DC-DC converter for S9

I have for sale a converter which allows the S9 machine, which requires a 24v supply, to run from a vehicle 12v or 24v DC socket, or direct from a 12v battery. The converter can power a humidifier and heated tube as well as the CPAP machine,…See More
Oct 13
Bill Thomson joined The SleepGuide Crew's group
Oct 13
Sleep2snore replied to Chris Vesey's discussion Cure for wind
"It would depend if there was a smell or not "
Oct 9
Sleep2snore replied to Edam's discussion Double inhaling
"I'll be interested to know what you have found.  Give it time so you can prove what is happening. I had my machine pulse at full pressure for the second time when it was switched on, turning it off then on again a couple of times with a…"
Oct 9
Mark bowerman is now a member of Hope2SleepGuide
Oct 9
Renee Rowlands posted a discussion

Recommendation please for Oximeter purchase.

Hello everyone!I would very much like to check my oxygen levels during the night.  Can anyone recommend an Oximeter to purchase please?My mask is a F&P Brevida which has soft straps and one of the straps slips up my head during the night, making…See More
Oct 7

© 2018   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service