Hope2SleepGuide

Sleep Apnoea Forum Bringing Help + Support to the Patient

I have been on CPAP therapy for nearly 2 years and still feel very tired, I have been to hospital a couple of times in that period and the first thing they do is put me on oxygen.  So I have decided to invest in an Oximeter to assess my oxygen levels.  So any advice would be helpful.

I am currently on a ResMed automatic machine, I have tried different masks and liners which I was told by my clinic were not helpful for CPAP as the leaks can escape through the lining and I wouldn't be aware of it.  Don't know if that is correct or not.  So some suggestions would be great

Views: 68

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Welcome to the forum Margaret.  I must say that I find the comments about liners strange from your clinic though, as many clinics recommend their patients purchase or even make liners.  Our charity sell the Silent Night brand and many people monitor leaks on their machines so we'd soon know if that were true.

When you say they put you on oxygen, do you mean with your CPAP?   Have you got a machine that tells you what your AHI is, so the hospital and you can see how well your CPAP is treating you?

As for a good pulse oximeter, you probably already know that it's one that can record data overnight you need.  The Contec  CMS 50F is a popular one which is a wrist-watch type or the cheaper one which goes on the end of the finger is the Contec CMS 50DD.  I prefer the wrist-watch type though for stability.  I spotted a CMS 50F on Amazon cheaper than Ebay a while ago.  However, BEFORE purchase, if your computer runs on Windows 10 check if the Contec is compatible.  I've not used them for a while and they didn't used to work with Windows 10.  There may be a newer model out now though as it's several years since I've used that brand.



Kath Hope said:

Welcome to the forum Margaret.  I must say that I find the comments about liners strange from your clinic though, as many clinics recommend their patients purchase or even make liners.  Our charity sell the Silent Night brand and many people monitor leaks on their machines so we'd soon know if that were true.

When you say they put you on oxygen, do you mean with your CPAP?   Have you got a machine that tells you what your AHI is, so the hospital and you can see how well your CPAP is treating you?

As for a good pulse oximeter, you probably already know that it's one that can record data overnight you need.  The Contec  CMS 50F is a popular one which is a wrist-watch type or the cheaper one which goes on the end of the finger is the Contec CMS 50DD.  I prefer the wrist-watch type though for stability.  I spotted a CMS 50F on Amazon cheaper than Ebay a while ago.  However, BEFORE purchase, if your computer runs on Windows 10 check if the Contec is compatible.  I've not used them for a while and they didn't used to work with Windows 10.  There may be a newer model out now though as it's several years since I've used that brand.



Margaret MacQuarrie said:

Margaret MacQuarrie said:

Hi Kath thank you for the advice, when I was in hospital it was on admission through the day and they put me straight onto oxygen without the CPAP.  My machine is automatic and belongs to my clinic they told me it was set up and did not tell me what my AHI was. I wanted the Oxmeter to do a trace of my oxygen levels so I can show them that their therapy or machine is not working for me.  I did try the liners and found they really helped but when the speciallist nurse told me they wouldn't give a proper reading.  I will get them again, glad you told me that you just wonder if some of the nurses are not up to date with what is out there. Thanks again for your help.



Kath Hope said:

Welcome to the forum Margaret.  I must say that I find the comments about liners strange from your clinic though, as many clinics recommend their patients purchase or even make liners.  Our charity sell the Silent Night brand and many people monitor leaks on their machines so we'd soon know if that were true.

When you say they put you on oxygen, do you mean with your CPAP?   Have you got a machine that tells you what your AHI is, so the hospital and you can see how well your CPAP is treating you?

As for a good pulse oximeter, you probably already know that it's one that can record data overnight you need.  The Contec  CMS 50F is a popular one which is a wrist-watch type or the cheaper one which goes on the end of the finger is the Contec CMS 50DD.  I prefer the wrist-watch type though for stability.  I spotted a CMS 50F on Amazon cheaper than Ebay a while ago.  However, BEFORE purchase, if your computer runs on Windows 10 check if the Contec is compatible.  I've not used them for a while and they didn't used to work with Windows 10.  There may be a newer model out now though as it's several years since I've used that brand.

It does sound to me like the hospital perhaps don't realise what is out there to help us all  Margaret, because some of our hospitals even supply liners, and many that don't refer people to our charity for them.  I use them myself and I also have a machine I can monitor what is happening.  We also get many people who have previously struggled with leaks before using liners and they have struggled with not feeling like the therapy is helping.  Once using the liners they not only find they help with the leaks but they actually feel better during the day, which is a sure sign they're helping them.  Liners are sold worldwide (the ones we sell are imported from the USA, because having previously sold a different brand, the Silent Night ones are far more popular).  You can try to make your own liners, and I did before we started supplying the Silent Night ones, but I must say these are much better than my home made ones were   I certainly don't want to be speaking against your clinic's advice, but I can promise you that many other hospitals do recommend the liners.  Like you say, it may be that they just don't realise what is out there to help us all.

Which machine are you using Margaret?

The Machine is Res Med AirSense 10 AutoSet



Kath Hope said:

It does sound to me like the hospital perhaps don't realise what is out there to help us all  Margaret, because some of our hospitals even supply liners, and many that don't refer people to our charity for them.  I use them myself and I also have a machine I can monitor what is happening.  We also get many people who have previously struggled with leaks before using liners and they have struggled with not feeling like the therapy is helping.  Once using the liners they not only find they help with the leaks but they actually feel better during the day, which is a sure sign they're helping them.  Liners are sold worldwide (the ones we sell are imported from the USA, because having previously sold a different brand, the Silent Night ones are far more popular).  You can try to make your own liners, and I did before we started supplying the Silent Night ones, but I must say these are much better than my home made ones were   I certainly don't want to be speaking against your clinic's advice, but I can promise you that many other hospitals do recommend the liners.  Like you say, it may be that they just don't realise what is out there to help us all.

Which machine are you using Margaret?

The Airsense Autoset does show the data in you look in the 'Sleep Report' section on your screen you can then scroll down to AHI and should also be able to see leakage.  If you can't see the AHI then it means the hospital have locked you out of that section though.

Thanks Kath Will have a look in the morning and let you know



Kath Hope said:

The Airsense Autoset does show the data in you look in the 'Sleep Report' section on your screen you can then scroll down to AHI and should also be able to see leakage.  If you can't see the AHI then it means the hospital have locked you out of that section though.

You should have got the manual with the Airsense 10 Autoset?

If you didn't get it AIRSENSE RANGE MANUAL . pdf

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Sleep Apnoea Forum

New to the Sleep Apnoea Forum? 

1. Stop by our Sleep Apnoea Welcome Center to introduce yourself to the SleepGuide community.
2. Start a New Topic of Conversation.
3. Post your photos - of yourself, your old CPAP machine, your new CPAP machine, your pet, something about you!

Interested in advertising, have a problem or need to contact us? Click the Report an Issue page.

 

Latest Activity

Sleep2snore replied to Ann Murch's discussion New by wondering what to do next
"You're welcome."
Aug 8
Ann Murch replied to Ann Murch's discussion New by wondering what to do next
"That was great.  I am confident I can now sort out the problem and start getting a good nights sleep.  Thank you"
Aug 8
Sleep2snore replied to Ann Murch's discussion New by wondering what to do next
"Here is a YouTube Clinical video for the Devilbiss SLEEPCUBE clinical settings. https://youtu.be/V8pns9BYn64 It might be easier to watch, shows how to set up pressures etc. https://youtu.be/V8pns9BYn64"
Aug 8
Sleep2snore replied to Ann Murch's discussion New by wondering what to do next
"Make sure you have SmartFlex turned on, this will drop the pressure when you breath out. You didn't say what model you have, but as pressure was rising it must at least be Automatic. If you look in the manual it will tell you how to get into…"
Aug 8
Sleep2snore replied to Cathy's discussion New full face mask
"If it works for you use it. They are a bit quieter I am told so on its own will help, but comfort is the name of the game and if it fits the bill........ Glad you found a mask that works for you."
Aug 8
Profile IconMajella Ryan and Caroline Harvey joined Hope2SleepGuide
Jul 22
Ann Murch posted a discussion

New by wondering what to do next

Hi,my name is Ann and I stumbled across this site when looking to see where I could sell my CPAP machine but after reading some discussions, I now think that I may be better keeping it. I bought the  Sleep Cube as it was fully automatic and as I…See More
Jul 16
Ann Murch is now a member of Hope2SleepGuide
Jul 14
Cathy posted a discussion

New full face mask

Hi, I’ve been using the ResMed mirage Quattro since I was as diagnosed5 years ago. I’ve always hated it and found it so uncomfortable. Last week I bought myself a ResMed  airfit F20 with quiet air and it’s the best thing ever. Nothing covering my…See More
Jul 11
Kyla Davies joined The SleepGuide Crew's group
Jul 11
John Wilkinson replied to The SleepGuide Crew's discussion Welcome to our Forum - Feel Free to Introduce Yourself Here.
"Hi Sharon, I have been using a Cpap machine for 7 months. I too struggled with a full face mask (Simplus as issued by sleep clinic) but I changed from a large to medium size mask and it is a lot more comfortable and, because it fits better, I…"
Jul 9
Edam replied to Edam's discussion Double inhaling
"Using the Quatro Air is certainly working. My 95% pressures are still below 15 and also Im getting a much better sleep. I think the reason its working is that the inlet is lower on the Quatro Air and is also directed downwards. This direction of…"
Jul 9
Eric Swindon added a discussion to the group Buy-Sell-Swap
Thumbnail

Unused Masks for sale

 I am offering these never used masks (all in original packaging with User Manuals) for half the current retail price (check them at www.eu-pap.co.uk) , that is £50 or £60 including shipping within the U.K. …See More
Jul 8
Eric Swindon joined The SleepGuide Crew's group
Jul 8
Profile IconKyla Davies and Trina joined Hope2SleepGuide
Jul 8
Trina replied to The SleepGuide Crew's discussion Welcome to our Forum - Feel Free to Introduce Yourself Here.
"Thanks for accepting me! I am new to the sleep apnea world, but suspect I have had it for many, many years. It was just diagnosed as many of things. "
Jul 7
Sleep2snore replied to Chris Vesey's discussion Insurance
"To be honest, I never thought about what would happen if it was stolen or damaged while away!"
Jul 6
Sleep2snore replied to Chris Vesey's discussion Insurance
"The best thing is to ask your clinic, they all appear to work their own way, also if you are going abroad it is worth checking if it is still covered.  If not you might feel better if it were covered by insurance.  Ask if your home…"
Jul 6
Sleep2snore replied to Neil Jay's discussion Remstar M series repair?
"I went off on a tangent when my brain stopped working. Philips R|esperonics Customer Support Centre (Repairs and Maintenance) 0870 532 9741"
Jul 6
sharon replied to sharon's discussion struggling with CPAP
"thank you, i will try the suggestions, I reaaly appreciate the help Sharron"
Jul 6

© 2018   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service