Hope2SleepGuide

Sleep Apnoea Forum Bringing Help + Support to the Patient

Hi

What is better distilled water verses tap water.  I was wondering what is best for the CPAP machine as many say distilled is best and if you are on free prescriptions then you should be able to get it.  As my area is a very hard water area and most kitchen last only around 12 - 18 months before you need to replace them.

If I do get a new machine I am thinking about asking for distilled water so that it protects the very expensive machine.  Also because I have some many allergies it would be safer for me too use.
Dee 

Views: 2353

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sorry for the delay in getting back June (there's not enough hours in my days at the moment).  I dug into some of my old info and found this that I'd saved on the computer http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2556912/ and also this old news report that caused quite a stir at the time http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/172810.php and whilst I know this was contaminated well water, it does go to prove the water was able to cause the person damage.

Incidentally, one of my customers told me the other day that his hospital here in the UK has given him a note to take to his doctor for a prescription for distilled water and was told not to used boiled tap water.  I'm waiting to hear how much water he'll get for the price of a prescription and will keep you posted.

Hey thanks for that Kath, interesting. I spoke to a friend of my who is a science teacher and she said boiled water was ok! Now to be on the safe side and for the little cost I personally will continue to use the distilled water.

Thanks for your help with this interesting discussion xx

Well there's no proof his hospital were correct about not using boiled water, but best not take any chances with your existing lung condition.  I once spoke with someone who worked in a factory that processes deionised water, and he said they have to wear protective gear from head to foot and not to use it.  Unfortunately, a lot of people think deionised and distilled is the same thing - I used to get it myself from the local garage.

ha ha You know what Kath,I don't think we will ever know what is coming through the vapour in our individual tubes unless we were scientific and did the tests ourselves

thanks againxx

You're absolutely right June, and each of us has to do what we feel comfortable with   I've had no problems with using bottled mineral water, but if distilled was freely available then I'd certainly be using that.

Thanks Kath for the references to medical journals. The first report is written by a manufacturer of filters and based on a pressure of 20cmH2O. However, it does make the point that under the circumstances of the test, bacteria in the water tank are able to reach the patient unless one of their filters is used.  The second case notes a case when contaminated well water caused serious illness.  So I stand corrected in my assumption that only water vapour passes through the tube.  Having said that, the second case notes "The recommendation to use distilled water in CPAP machines is related to preventive maintenance, rather than avoiding contamination."

I originally used Purified Water BP, before trying supermarket bottled water. I have seen no comments on the use of Purified Water.  I have discussed using bottled water with my (then) consultant, who said I could alternatively use boiled water.  More recently I have a water softener, so these days use softened mains water, although I am aware that this should not be drunk as it contains raised salt levels.  My blood pressure remains good :)

Like so much in life, it sounds as if we're short on facts, and balancing risk.  If I had a lung condition, I would be exceedingly careful.  As it is, like most of us, I take my chances.

What does seem to be clear is that topping up the tank rather than emptying it, is increasing the risk.  From this point of view, a cheap/free source of water is important, so people don't feel they are "wasting it" when they tip away the excess each morning.

Jonathan

Thanks for taking the time to look into the articles deeper than I did Jonathan   It certainly doesn't help us when different hospitals give different advice.  Even the manufacturers seem to give different advice to the US as opposed to the UK!

I totally agree, that if I had any lung condition I would not take any chances, and everyone has to do what they feel comfortable with.

Someone asked me yesterday what the difference is between Distilled and Purified water.  I didn't have a clue, but was interested so thought this was a good place to post what I found about the differences in water for future reference:-

What’s the Difference between Distilled and Purified Water?

When it comes to the water you drink, there are a number of different choices. If you want the purest water you can find, you may opt for distilled or purified water…but which one is better? What’s the difference between purified and distilled water? Before we get into that, let’s first take a look at the different types of water to give you some initial background.

Different Types of Water

There are many other types of water in addition to tap/municipal, but what exactly are the differences between them?

Spring water – spring water is water from a natural underground source, containing a healthy amount of nutrients and minerals. It is collected at the source, usually with a borehole. Though appealing because it’s natural, spring water doesn’t have the highest levels of purity.

Mineral water – mineral water naturally contains many dissolved minerals – iron, calcium, sulfate, potassium, etc, and it has at least 250 PPM (parts-per-million) of total dissolved solids (TDS). To bring some perspective to this statement, tap water generally has 300 to 400 PPM.

Purified water – the purest water out there, purified water refers to the quality of water. There a number of different ways it can reach this quality, including distillation, reverse osmosis, ion exchange and more. To be classified as purified, the water must have less than 10 PPM. Our bottled water goes through a 10-step purification process that removes 99.9% of impurities, so you can rest assured you’re drinking the purest water possible!

Distilled water – a type of purified water, distilled water goes through a process called distillation. This includes boiling the water, capturing the steam (pure H2O) and condensing it back into water. Distilled water contains no bacteria and a very little amount of contaminants; with a PPM of about 1, it can be classified as purified water!

So What’s the Difference Between Distilled and Purified Water?

Essentially, there are no differences between distilled and purified except the process the water went through to reach purification! Remember – the definition of purified water is a TDS count of less than 10 parts-per-million (PPM), and both distilled water and purified water have between zero and one PPM.

Many people think only distilled water (because of its lack of minerals) is the best type of water to put in their iron, coffee pot or use for medical and dental equipment, but since purified water also contains virtually no minerals, it works just as well! In fact, distilled water costs more because of the energy required to boil the water and remove the impurities – and the prices keep rising!

The only difference between distilled and purified water is distilled water goes through distillation while purified water goes through other processes such as reverse osmosis, ion exchange, Ozonation, sand filtration, etc.

.....................................................So do you choose distilled or purified water? Both are free of bacteria and most impurities – so the difference lies in the price.

(The above info was taken from this site http://www.endlesswaters.com/distilled-or-purified-water )

I did see on another website (forgotten which one now) that Deionised Water has the ions removed but can still contain bacteria and pathogens, so definitely best to leave this for car batteries and irons.

Here's an article by the Mail Online telling us what's in our UK drinking water http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3006/Do-really-know-tap-w...

Yet, interestingly, here's another article also by the Mail Online telling us that bottled water is less safe than tap, hmm http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2255803/Bottled-water-safe-...

what an excellent article

in addition tap water has chemicals added like Florine or chlorine or other additives  and can have leaked aluminium

Thanks 99 and I certainly don't use the tap water from here, as we're in a hard water area and it smells of chlorine.

An update to one of our customers is that he got 25 litres of distilled water for the price of one prescription.  I'm going to have another word with my GP to see what he says, as it's years since I asked him.

I put in a request at my GP for Distilled Water, the prescription is ready at the chemist; my husband went to pick it up this morning and the pharmacist said it was too heavy for my husband to carry so they would  deliver it this afternoon. I am guessing that it is a 25L also, I will let you know after it arrives, however, no matter what size it is I think between us we have conquered!

Yes, I'll be sharing this news June and look forward to your confirmation on size.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Sleep Apnoea Forum

New to the Sleep Apnoea Forum? 

1. Stop by our Sleep Apnoea Welcome Center to introduce yourself to the SleepGuide community.
2. Start a New Topic of Conversation.
3. Post your photos - of yourself, your old CPAP machine, your new CPAP machine, your pet, something about you!

Interested in advertising, have a problem or need to contact us? Click the Report an Issue page.

Latest Activity

jjimjam updated their profile
Apr 17
Kath Hope replied to Becky Murkin's discussion noisy humidifier normal?
"It sounds like you're getting rainout issues (condensation) so here's an article to help with this. www.hope2sleep.co.uk/water-in-the-mask-hose-known-as-rainout"
Apr 16
Becky Murkin posted a discussion

noisy humidifier normal?

Hello,I have an air sense 10 auto.When I have the humidifier and the heated tube plugged in it makes a sort of drumming noise. Like that at the gallows in films.Is this normal? It wakes me up  and I have to give up and switch off  for the night.See More
Apr 16
John posted a discussion

Dentists in Hull that know about Mewing ?

I was wondering if there are any dentists in Hull who know about John & Mike Mew, and changing jaw shape over time?I could add that I saw an ENT consultant recently and she said jaw shape, malocclusion, is genetic, which has become a debatable…See More
Apr 9
Profile IconKaren Mcleod, Fiona Watson, Teresa Hobbs and 5 more joined Hope2SleepGuide
Apr 3
Jonathan replied to John's discussion Airsense 10 -humidifier runs dry
"I did replace the tank in my SleepCube, and had to regularly take the silicone sealing gasket out and give it a goof clean, but not infrequently found it standing in a pool of water in the morning.  The machine sat on a tray because of…"
Mar 26
John posted a discussion

Nasal valve collapse

Does anyone have any experience of nasal valve collapse?Wondering if I have this but I don't know what the norm is.Been trying widgets that hold the nose open and it's like night and day.See More
Mar 24
John replied to John's discussion Airsense 10 -humidifier runs dry
"Wow it's the other way round for me.I found with the Sleepcube I'd often have a good bit of water still there in the morning. Today I woke up with a dry tank on the Resmed again and it's not on full heat or flow. I got it on 6…"
Mar 24
Becky Murkin posted a discussion

F20 AirFit small marking bridge of nose

Please help or give advice all wise people on here.I have had the Resmed F20 AirFit small mask for over a month. Seals yet…See More
Mar 19
Frances Knight replied to Frances Knight's discussion Air Sense 10 - changing pressure settings
"A very helpful reply Jonathan. I found the pressure setting for the full face mask to be too high when I changed to a nasal mask, but perhaps I should have persisted? I'll try again and I'll also discuss with the clinic whether an APAP…"
Mar 13
Jonathan replied to Frances Knight's discussion Air Sense 10 - changing pressure settings
"Ramble alert!  My history is that I spent part of each week at a different location, so bought a second machine identical to my fixed pressure NHS machine and set it up to match using the clinician menu.  This was a very long time…"
Mar 12
Frances Knight replied to Frances Knight's discussion Air Sense 10 - changing pressure settings
"Thanks Jonathan - I had seen the YouTube video. My question is really about the experience of people who have control of their pressure settings, for example those people who have bought their machines directly and not obtained them through an NHS…"
Mar 12
Jonathan replied to Frances Knight's discussion Air Sense 10 - changing pressure settings
"This is NOT a recommendation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNUWhd2UgQM"
Mar 11
Frances Knight posted a discussion

Air Sense 10 - changing pressure settings

I have been successfully using my air sense 10 since OSA diagnosis, and my AHI is now under 2. I had an appointment with my clinic this week and have been told there is no need for further appointments and just to contact them if I need supplies or…See More
Mar 11
Swen Greve is now a member of Hope2SleepGuide
Mar 4
Jonathan replied to Sue Reeves's discussion A few questions..
"If you have a helpful GP, I would ask them to re-refer you to the sleep clinic."
Mar 3
Sue Reeves posted a discussion

A few questions..

A quick bit of backgroundDiagnosed with OSA about 7/8 years ago by my local sleep clinic and given a F &P Icon CPAP.  After a couple of follow-up appts to sort out any issues, I was sent on my merry way. I have had no further face to face…See More
Mar 3
Jonathan replied to John's discussion Airsense 10 -humidifier runs dry
"I previously had a DeVilbiss Sleepcube and the dehumidifier did sometimes run dry.  On the other hand I now have an AirSense 10 and it never runs dry, and I've had the humidity turned up high."
Feb 26
John posted a discussion

Airsense 10 -humidifier runs dry

Hi. I'm finding the Airsense 10 the hospital gave me, the humidifier chamber runs dry. It's not even on max settings, which I'm guessing would empty it a lot quicker. Seems like a big design oversight to me. Does anyone else have this trouble? The…See More
Feb 26
David Hudson posted a discussion

Decline in hearing

HiI have regular, well yearly check ups at work. One being a hearing test. Since having my cpap machine my hearing has declined rapidly in 1 ear.....could this be as a result of pressure? I believe I'm on 15cm p max h2o. I just use a nasal…See More
Feb 26

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service