Hope2SleepGuide

Sleep Apnoea Forum Bringing Help + Support to the Patient

Something I've noticed as a newcomer to this forum is the lack of cpap pressure settings being given. I'd like to suggest that since this could be useful information to gather, forum members leave a brief post here to say what settings they are using, if they've always used the same settings, and if they have changed, is there a reason why, for instance weight loss, gain, age etc? Did you use an oximeter to arrive at your settings and if so which one?

Views: 244

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks to everyone for the information - this is the 3rd time I have written this reply so please bear with me ... it just doesn't want to send and now I am so tired I cannot remember what on earth I was saying ...

perhaps in the morning ... perhaps ...

nite all

hugs Jacks xxx

Aw poor you Jackie.  Hopefully, your tiredness will be a thing of the past once you get your treatment going properly :)

Jackie said:

Thanks to everyone for the information - this is the 3rd time I have written this reply so please bear with me ... it just doesn't want to send and now I am so tired I cannot remember what on earth I was saying ...

perhaps in the morning ... perhaps ...

nite all

hugs Jacks xxx

a  brain storm - some of it came into head  - Kath get to bed lol ! too late now ! me going in a feew minutes

- once again thank you to everyone - I  will try to digest and try it.

A neighbour at the caravan site has given me a loan for one night an oxy meter. Plan is to take it to bed with a pen and paper and try it at intervals during the night and in the morning before I struggle out of bed.

reading at the moment is 95. ????

I will try to have a play with the machine to see the pressure, but am I getting the info right re the hosptial cannot tell if I am having episodes still????? How the heck do they know how the treatment is benefiting me?

I was having 69 episodes an hour prior to treatment and I know I feel better than I did, so it must be much less, but how much?

gonna scratch a worry spot at this rate lol !

The only info hospital give me is how many average hours I am using the machine.

will let you know tomorrow what readings I get.

hugs Jacks xxx

I can't believe you all aren't even allowed to know your AHIs. That's rough!

I'm googling the CMS-50F as I type (yea, sure) and thanks for the information.

good morning everyone

well, I was 97 getting into bed on the oxy and I do wake quite frequently so when lying there I remembered

some of the time to put it on ... I was awake for a while each time before doing it, so I don't know if this makes a difference or not

but readings were 95-97 each time.

So I guess this is good???

does this mean I am not having episodes or just didn't have any last night??

hugs Jacks xx

Hi Jacks

95 -97% is good/OK and means you are alive and breathing, with oxygen being absorbed into your blood giving 95 - 97% saturation.

You have to wear the oximeter all night long! It records your saturation levels and pulse. Either the meter can show the results or you'll have to download the data to your PC - either way, the graphs tell you what happened. You're looking for saturation dips (de-sats) - how far and how long - and these correspond to events and, by a different definition, to apnoeas/hypopnoeas. The type of line in the graph tells you a lot. OSA gives a saw tooth line and good sleep has lots of straight lines, pulse not zooming about.

An easier test is this - if you regularly wake up tired after eight hours in bed, your therapy needs improving - often a pressure change in your machine.

TF

It's not just the patients that don't know their AHI, the medics don't either as a lot of the time the prescribed machines aren't capable of telling them anything, other than amount of hours used and what pessure :(

RockHinkleRpsgt said:

Ah! I thought that was just Southampton! The machines come up from Tech Dept set at 10cm and that is how they are dispensed (to the extent I am aware). Whenever I speak of AHI to the nurses I get a blank stare and a muttered, "That's not the measure we use". Ever since Nurse Ali went on Permanaent Maternity Leave (whatever that is!) it seems the clinic cannot set pressures because they don't know how.

TF

Kath Hope said:

It's not just the patients that don't know their AHI, the medics don't either as a lot of the time the prescribed machines aren't capable of telling them anything, other than amount of hours used and what pessure :(

RockHinkleRpsgt said:

Here's one of many articles explaining why it's not healthy to have oxygen drops during sleep, and why it's a good idea to check your levels:-

Sleep apnoea can significantly impair brain function. That is the findings of a study conducted at the University of New South Wales. It was published in the Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism. They did an analysis through a second-by-second timeframe. This analysis showed what's going on inside the brain of a sleep apnoea sufferer while asleep.

Professor Caroline Rae, lead author of the study, did this research with collaborators from the Sydney University's Woolcock Institute. They used magnetic resonance spectroscopy in studying the brain of 13 men who are suffering from severe obstructive sleep apnea and are still untreated. The study revealed that even a moderate degree of oxygen desaturation while the patient is asleep has significant effects on the brain's bioenergetic status.

"This is happening in someone with sleep apnoea acutely and continually when they are asleep. It's a completely different biochemical mechanism from anything we've seen before and is similar to what you see in somebody who has had a very severe stroke or is dying," said Professor Rae. This concludes that lack of oxygen while asleep may be far more detrimental than when a person is awake. This is possible because the normal compensatory mechanisms don't operate fully when a person is asleep.

Sleep apnoea can have long term effects such as cardiovascular diseases, memory loss, diabetes and arrhythmia. It increases a person's chances of having stroke or heart attack. Sleep apnea is characterized by loud snoring and extended pauses in breathing during sleep. It is followed by snorts or gasps for air. Because of this the sufferer experiences fragmented and low quality sleep. It is caused by a physical blockage in the breathing passages. This blockage can make the sufferer drop oxygen levels thus affecting the brain and other body functions. Sleep apnea affects one out of four middle aged men, particularly those who are overweight. Sleep apnoea can also affect children. This raises the concern of children having long-term cognitive damage.

Children who are affected by sleep apnea are generally mistaken to be slow learners, lazy, and having poor memory. They have sudden behavior changes and easily get irritated. They are constantly tired in school and are often caught sleeping during lectures. This affects the child's school performance and confidence level. It affects their overall body and brain development. It also affects how they mingle with other children. However, children whose sleep apnoea has been treated showed significant improvement in their behavior and school performance. Children affected with sleep apnea at an early age puts them at an earlier risk of having heart related problems. That is why sleep apnoea needs to be treated as early as possible and as soon as clinically verified.

Given that sleep apnoea is a very common and detrimental breathing disorder, people's perception of snoring should change. Most people see snoring as something that is funny and can be joked about. When in fact, loud snoring is actually a major symptom of the sleep disorder of sleep apnoea. Efforts should be done not only to educate the sufferers but also the non-sufferers as well.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/6112903
I gotta ask Tiger. What measure DO they USE?

Tigers Fan said:

Ah! I thought that was just Southampton! The machines come up from Tech Dept set at 10cm and that is how they are dispensed (to the extent I am aware). Whenever I speak of AHI to the nurses I get a blank stare and a muttered, "That's not the measure we use". Ever since Nurse Ali went on Permanaent Maternity Leave (whatever that is!) it seems the clinic cannot set pressures because they don't know how.

TF

Kath Hope said:

RockHinkleRpsgt said:

Hi Rock

They have claimed to me to use oxygen desats, but had head lowered and eyes down - the only time I used an oximeter for them was at my sleep study (AV plus oximeter). What they actually use are two very scientific questions - "How do you feel?" and "Have you stopped snoring?/Do you still snore?" Whatever the answer, the responses seems to be the same - "Oh - that's good!" or "Well, give it a bit longer while you get used to it."

Their waiting lists meet Government targets, none of the people who attend have died or been killed, they all are four hour compliant (I expect) - what more do you want, this is an excellent service - and they have a certificate to prove it!

TF

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Sleep Apnoea Forum

New to the Sleep Apnoea Forum? 

1. Stop by our Sleep Apnoea Welcome Center to introduce yourself to the SleepGuide community.
2. Start a New Topic of Conversation.
3. Post your photos - of yourself, your old CPAP machine, your new CPAP machine, your pet, something about you!

Interested in advertising, have a problem or need to contact us? Click the Report an Issue page.

Latest Activity

Jonathan replied to Iain Noble's discussion Resmed Airfit F20 Woes
"Hi.  No first hand experience, but you can see reviews here, which are mixed: https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed-airfit-f40-full-face-cpap-mask I notice cpap.com still appear to be selling the Quattro FX.  I have imported stuff from…"
Sunday
Iain Noble posted a discussion

Resmed Airfit F20 Woes

Dear FolksI have been using the Resmed Quattro FX mask ever since I was diagnosed over 7 years ago.…See More
Saturday
Iain Noble replied to Becky Murkin's discussion F20 AirFit small marking bridge of nose
"Hi All I can say is I feel your pain! I got the F20 as a replacement this year and it is very uncomfortable. I have just ordered the new Resmed F40 which is very small and light and so far it has been a lot easier to use for a mouth breather that…"
Saturday
Sarah Martin is now a member of Hope2SleepGuide
Saturday
jjimjam updated their profile
Apr 17
Kath Hope replied to Becky Murkin's discussion noisy humidifier normal?
"It sounds like you're getting rainout issues (condensation) so here's an article to help with this. www.hope2sleep.co.uk/water-in-the-mask-hose-known-as-rainout"
Apr 16
Becky Murkin posted a discussion

noisy humidifier normal?

Hello,I have an air sense 10 auto.When I have the humidifier and the heated tube plugged in it makes a sort of drumming noise. Like that at the gallows in films.Is this normal? It wakes me up  and I have to give up and switch off  for the night.See More
Apr 16
John posted a discussion

Dentists in Hull that know about Mewing ?

I was wondering if there are any dentists in Hull who know about John & Mike Mew, and changing jaw shape over time?I could add that I saw an ENT consultant recently and she said jaw shape, malocclusion, is genetic, which has become a debatable…See More
Apr 9
Profile IconKaren Mcleod, Fiona Watson, Teresa Hobbs and 5 more joined Hope2SleepGuide
Apr 3
Jonathan replied to John's discussion Airsense 10 -humidifier runs dry
"I did replace the tank in my SleepCube, and had to regularly take the silicone sealing gasket out and give it a goof clean, but not infrequently found it standing in a pool of water in the morning.  The machine sat on a tray because of…"
Mar 26
John posted a discussion

Nasal valve collapse

Does anyone have any experience of nasal valve collapse?Wondering if I have this but I don't know what the norm is.Been trying widgets that hold the nose open and it's like night and day.See More
Mar 24
John replied to John's discussion Airsense 10 -humidifier runs dry
"Wow it's the other way round for me.I found with the Sleepcube I'd often have a good bit of water still there in the morning. Today I woke up with a dry tank on the Resmed again and it's not on full heat or flow. I got it on 6…"
Mar 24
Becky Murkin posted a discussion

F20 AirFit small marking bridge of nose

Please help or give advice all wise people on here.I have had the Resmed F20 AirFit small mask for over a month. Seals yet…See More
Mar 19
Frances Knight replied to Frances Knight's discussion Air Sense 10 - changing pressure settings
"A very helpful reply Jonathan. I found the pressure setting for the full face mask to be too high when I changed to a nasal mask, but perhaps I should have persisted? I'll try again and I'll also discuss with the clinic whether an APAP…"
Mar 13
Jonathan replied to Frances Knight's discussion Air Sense 10 - changing pressure settings
"Ramble alert!  My history is that I spent part of each week at a different location, so bought a second machine identical to my fixed pressure NHS machine and set it up to match using the clinician menu.  This was a very long time…"
Mar 12
Frances Knight replied to Frances Knight's discussion Air Sense 10 - changing pressure settings
"Thanks Jonathan - I had seen the YouTube video. My question is really about the experience of people who have control of their pressure settings, for example those people who have bought their machines directly and not obtained them through an NHS…"
Mar 12
Jonathan replied to Frances Knight's discussion Air Sense 10 - changing pressure settings
"This is NOT a recommendation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNUWhd2UgQM"
Mar 11
Frances Knight posted a discussion

Air Sense 10 - changing pressure settings

I have been successfully using my air sense 10 since OSA diagnosis, and my AHI is now under 2. I had an appointment with my clinic this week and have been told there is no need for further appointments and just to contact them if I need supplies or…See More
Mar 11
Swen Greve is now a member of Hope2SleepGuide
Mar 4
Jonathan replied to Sue Reeves's discussion A few questions..
"If you have a helpful GP, I would ask them to re-refer you to the sleep clinic."
Mar 3

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service