Hope2SleepGuide

Sleep Apnoea Forum Bringing Help + Support to the Patient

Well, I've had a Quattro FX for a few nights now and have given it a good go. 
Good points: 
Very soft and balloon-like seal - this mask is definitely the most gentle silicone mask I've tried so far. The seal is made and secured by the air pressure inside the mask with the strap pressure holding it in place spreading the physical pressure over a larger area, making it very comfortable. The size of the seal makes it fit my face very well, I have a short, shallow nose and a wide face. Other than an overtightened first night I've had no facial marks in the morning. It's a great seal too, a seal that's comfortable at 15hPa doesn't collapse at 4hPa for the ramp, so once adjusted for your pressure it's a nice quick fit at night.
Fits low on the nose - it secures into the indentation under the bottom lip so isn't up between the eyes but is kind of halfway up your nose, if you've got a sore there from your other masks, this could help provide relief, and there's no hard plastic in that area either it's bridged from the sides with ultra thin silicone.
Clever spring frame - this seems to move the pressure from the straps away from the front of the face and spreads it more evenly, I've only had any facial marks from the straps on the first night because I overtightened it. The springy plastic has a fabric cover that is very soft on the skin.
Noise - this is as quiet as the Sleepweaver and by far quieter than the rest of my collection.
Quick release - always handy.
Bad points:
Being picky really, if you don't get the seal just right it will slide up your face and then leak from the nose into your eyes, it's really important to have a dry, clean and grease free face and seal before fitting.
The low fit means if you nostrils collapse easily this may make it worse, move it up a bit (or possibly try a bigger size)
Venting - your bed partner may not want quite that much air hitting them in the face, but it's not really a side-sleepers mask so maybe not a problem

Other observations:
The "Swing down to fit" is great, until you really need to itch your nose and have to remove and refit it during the night, it's not an easy thing to refit as you have to undo both bottom clips to fit it properly.
I'm not yet comfortable sleeping on my side with this mask, the seal is easily disturbed by sideways pressure but I'm in a Hotel at the moment and my firm sculpted pillow is at home, so I'll reserve judgement until the weekend.
Headgear is a bit small for me, but I'm told they stretch with time (Thanks TF!) so again will reserve judgement for a while...

Compared to other masks:
Far more quiet than the F&P Forma, and less heavy and cumbersome. Slightly heavier and bigger than the ZZZ mask type cheapies but a much better fit. 
Conclusions:
I really like it, I don't need a full face mask most of the time but sometimes just can't get to sleep due to congestion or hay fever stuffing up my nose and I prefer not to over use decongestants. The complete lack of marks on my face is a revelation, the Forma leaves mask marks, the sleepweaver leaves strap marks, this has for the last four nights left none at all. No face marks and a great night's sleep make a great combination.

Views: 2288

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Tigers Fan,   Thanks again for your feedback.  We have taken all your comments on board and have passed them on to the development team. Your comments have also officially been logged in our customer feedback system which we use to track all product related comments/complaints and suggestions for improvement.

If we can help you with anything else, please don’t hesitate to get in touch

Thanks for listening and acting, RealSleep.

Has anyone had problems with the cushion detaching from the mask? I've had my FX for about 8 months now and it's the best I've had so far. When it seals it's great, quiet and comfortable, but as I'm very much a side sleeper and sometimes when I turn everything seems to slip and the cushion comes away from the mask, then it's a bit like trying to put on a tie in a hurricane! This invaribly means I wake up, turn the machine off, find my glasses and fumble around trying to put the damn thing back together combined with a certain amount on muttering and cursing, sometimes with an "are you alright, Dear" from my wife and somewhat perplexed look from the dog.

Anyone got any tips, or hints that might help?

Have the dog sleep in the kitchen.
Tiger's Fan, our new member Nicholas isn't asking about the dog!  Have you any advice to give him about the cushion coming away from the mask, as I know you rate this mask highly.
Mine has recently started to do that, but I know I'm due for a new cushion, so I'm putting it down to constant use!

Hi Pippa, Thank you for the helpful reply to Nicholas's difficulty. Sealing a mask to the face is just about the most common difficulty I encounter too. We do sometimes need to get replacement parts and yes Nicholas, it does remind me of being in the midst of a hurricane as well! I'm sure that Pippa has the answer here! The other thing that might well help is the amazing cream that Hope2sleep sells. It seems to help me to have a much better fit with all of my masks! Good luck to you.

Rosemary   

Nicolas, I use a Mirage Quattro and for the last month have been using Mask Liners which don't solve the problem of mask leaks but make it a lot better.
I have oily skin so after about 6 hours of quality sleep I start to lie on my side and the mask still slips a bit.
I bought the Resmed Mask liners and then created my own using them as a template.
I have just purchased a Pad-A-Cheek mask liners from the US and it has just arrived so I'll try it over the weekend.
I have found that unless you are lucky everything is trial and error until you get it right but forums like these are extremely helpful.
My AHI is 30 without CPAP, prior to the mask liners I was average about 6-8 and now I'm down to 1-2.
My goal is 0.

If I could see how this happens, I might well have had some advice, Kath - but two of you report the problem, so ....

Ensure the location tab at the top of the cushion aligns with the tabslot in the mask shell. Ensure that the cushion is 'bottomed' in the shell groove ALL the way round.

I'm guessing a low pressure so you can afford to have the headgear loose (compared to me at 18.5cm) and that would allow a lot of mask movement during restless sleep.I always recommend finding the sweet spot that is as loose as possible but without leaakage, then cinching in 2mm per fastening. Assuming you have taken good care in fitting the  cushion to the mask, then in your case I sugggest you try cinching in 3 or 4 mm instead of two. I hate to advise overtightening the headgear but you need to 'anchor' the mask in the correct position so it holds there.

The only way I can see your problem arising is if the delivered air gets in behind the cushion bed and blows the cushion out of the groove and the only way I can see that happening is a mis-aligned tab. But is that even possible. Use of the mask over a long period is not likely to wear the cushion in its seat. Do you have damage there that would permit air to leak behind? Friction between beard stubble and the cushion is possibly present in only one case.

Is any of the above pertinent?

With the dog sleeping in the kitchen, you can eliminate it from the investigation.

Just a quick note - I wouldn't wash my mask  and headgear in anything I wouldn't use on my face... washing up liquid wouldn't be my first choice. My FX is my backup mask, but the headgear is stretching (but it was a bit small in the first place).

I clean it in the morning after use, wash the shell and the cushion in hand soap then rinse with clean water. Headgear only gets washed when it needs it with all my kit.

Thanks for your reply

The recommended washing instructions are to use mild washing washing up liquid, as per ResMed site. The product I use is for sensitive skin and I need to wash twice a week due to an oily T.Zone, I use the same product on my cushion daily and rinse everything in clean water and air dry.

I'm just a bit miffed that this could be easily solved if they made minor adjustments in the design to incorporate taking up the slack, + I can't really afford to replace the headgear, my local NHS clinic supplies one headgear set per year (I haven't had that one yet!) after that I'm on my own and the one I'm complaining about at the moment is still the one I had to buy myself, at this rate I'm reckoning on 3 headgear sets per year at this stretch rate.

Thanks for the reply Rosemary, I hear you on the washing. I wish I could get a headgear and not wash it ever so I could do a comparison for control purposes. Sadly not washing the headgear is not a practical option, as it really needs that twice weekly wash as I have combination/sensitive skin, which is oily in places & dry in others which means I tend to get skin flakes left on the headgear as well as sweat/oil which can smell if left I imagine. Sorry to be so graphic, just trying to explain the situation as best I can. I have thought of adding more Velcro - but thought that Resmed would so a swap out so didn't want to alter headgear. If I hear nothing else I will do this as I see no other course of action, thanks.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Sleep Apnoea Forum

New to the Sleep Apnoea Forum? 

1. Stop by our Sleep Apnoea Welcome Center to introduce yourself to the SleepGuide community.
2. Start a New Topic of Conversation.
3. Post your photos - of yourself, your old CPAP machine, your new CPAP machine, your pet, something about you!

Interested in advertising, have a problem or need to contact us? Click the Report an Issue page.

Latest Activity

Jonathan replied to Iain Noble's discussion Resmed Airfit F20 Woes
"Hi.  No first hand experience, but you can see reviews here, which are mixed: https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed-airfit-f40-full-face-cpap-mask I notice cpap.com still appear to be selling the Quattro FX.  I have imported stuff from…"
Sunday
Iain Noble posted a discussion

Resmed Airfit F20 Woes

Dear FolksI have been using the Resmed Quattro FX mask ever since I was diagnosed over 7 years ago.…See More
Saturday
Iain Noble replied to Becky Murkin's discussion F20 AirFit small marking bridge of nose
"Hi All I can say is I feel your pain! I got the F20 as a replacement this year and it is very uncomfortable. I have just ordered the new Resmed F40 which is very small and light and so far it has been a lot easier to use for a mouth breather that…"
Saturday
Sarah Martin is now a member of Hope2SleepGuide
Apr 27
jjimjam updated their profile
Apr 17
Kath Hope replied to Becky Murkin's discussion noisy humidifier normal?
"It sounds like you're getting rainout issues (condensation) so here's an article to help with this. www.hope2sleep.co.uk/water-in-the-mask-hose-known-as-rainout"
Apr 16
Becky Murkin posted a discussion

noisy humidifier normal?

Hello,I have an air sense 10 auto.When I have the humidifier and the heated tube plugged in it makes a sort of drumming noise. Like that at the gallows in films.Is this normal? It wakes me up  and I have to give up and switch off  for the night.See More
Apr 16
John posted a discussion

Dentists in Hull that know about Mewing ?

I was wondering if there are any dentists in Hull who know about John & Mike Mew, and changing jaw shape over time?I could add that I saw an ENT consultant recently and she said jaw shape, malocclusion, is genetic, which has become a debatable…See More
Apr 9
Profile IconKaren Mcleod, Fiona Watson, Teresa Hobbs and 5 more joined Hope2SleepGuide
Apr 3
Jonathan replied to John's discussion Airsense 10 -humidifier runs dry
"I did replace the tank in my SleepCube, and had to regularly take the silicone sealing gasket out and give it a goof clean, but not infrequently found it standing in a pool of water in the morning.  The machine sat on a tray because of…"
Mar 26
John posted a discussion

Nasal valve collapse

Does anyone have any experience of nasal valve collapse?Wondering if I have this but I don't know what the norm is.Been trying widgets that hold the nose open and it's like night and day.See More
Mar 24
John replied to John's discussion Airsense 10 -humidifier runs dry
"Wow it's the other way round for me.I found with the Sleepcube I'd often have a good bit of water still there in the morning. Today I woke up with a dry tank on the Resmed again and it's not on full heat or flow. I got it on 6…"
Mar 24
Becky Murkin posted a discussion

F20 AirFit small marking bridge of nose

Please help or give advice all wise people on here.I have had the Resmed F20 AirFit small mask for over a month. Seals yet…See More
Mar 19
Frances Knight replied to Frances Knight's discussion Air Sense 10 - changing pressure settings
"A very helpful reply Jonathan. I found the pressure setting for the full face mask to be too high when I changed to a nasal mask, but perhaps I should have persisted? I'll try again and I'll also discuss with the clinic whether an APAP…"
Mar 13
Jonathan replied to Frances Knight's discussion Air Sense 10 - changing pressure settings
"Ramble alert!  My history is that I spent part of each week at a different location, so bought a second machine identical to my fixed pressure NHS machine and set it up to match using the clinician menu.  This was a very long time…"
Mar 12
Frances Knight replied to Frances Knight's discussion Air Sense 10 - changing pressure settings
"Thanks Jonathan - I had seen the YouTube video. My question is really about the experience of people who have control of their pressure settings, for example those people who have bought their machines directly and not obtained them through an NHS…"
Mar 12
Jonathan replied to Frances Knight's discussion Air Sense 10 - changing pressure settings
"This is NOT a recommendation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNUWhd2UgQM"
Mar 11
Frances Knight posted a discussion

Air Sense 10 - changing pressure settings

I have been successfully using my air sense 10 since OSA diagnosis, and my AHI is now under 2. I had an appointment with my clinic this week and have been told there is no need for further appointments and just to contact them if I need supplies or…See More
Mar 11
Swen Greve is now a member of Hope2SleepGuide
Mar 4
Jonathan replied to Sue Reeves's discussion A few questions..
"If you have a helpful GP, I would ask them to re-refer you to the sleep clinic."
Mar 3

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service