Hope2SleepGuide

Sleep Apnoea Forum Bringing Help + Support to the Patient

Welcome to our Forum - Feel Free to Introduce Yourself Here.

Welcome to the Hope2SleepGuide Forum, which is a service run by the Hope2Sleep Charity founded by Kath Hope with a marvellous team of trustees and volunteers. 

Kath herself has severe sleep apnoea and hypoventilation/hypercapnia, and has used CPAP for several years and is now on non-invasive ventilation.  Our trustees and volunteers are all either sufferers of sleep disordered breathing or clinicians/medics working in this field, and most importantly, we are all passionate in supporting (with empathy) others and raising awareness to help people live healthier and more energised lives.

 

Whilst we do not give medical advice, more often than not, with support, tips and knowledge, people can overcome any problems experienced with our therapy, and there is a whole page dedicated to this on the website http://www.hope2sleep.co.uk/tips-for-problems-sleeping-with-cpap-or...

 

Please come and join us, and don’t feel obligated to use your ‘real’ name if you prefer to remain anonymous as this is a public forum.  Don’t be shy in posting and sharing, as we’re all in this together and to help each other.

Best Wishes for good sleep!

Kath

Views: 11254

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi,
Just popping in to say Hello.

I haven't been diagnosed with sleep apnea not do I have a CPAP machine but after 40 years of intensive snoring and the worry of causing distress to anyone with close radius I am attending the doctors to try and get permission to purchase a machine.
So with so many choices and options I was hoping to try and get some valuable feedback to assist me in finding a machine.
I am currently using Snorelab to record my snoring, I dont even know how my wife can sleep through it :-( 

Thanks in advance for any feedback. 

hi

your gp will refer you to your local sleep clinic. they will test your pulse and o2 levels during the night. if the results indicate sleep apnea they will provide a pump and a mask. i woudl advise asking for a humidifier unit as well.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/sleep-apnoea/

Thank You Iain,
I am seeing GP tomorrow with my evidence collected so far,  hopefully they will be compliant and assist me going forward, I was looking to just purchase a machine and I agree I did see the humidifier machines which do look a lot more capable.
Will update on progress.
Regards
Roy

Iain Noble said:

hi

your gp will refer you to your local sleep clinic. they will test your pulse and o2 levels during the night. if the results indicate sleep apnea they will provide a pump and a mask. i woudl advise asking for a humidifier unit as well.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/sleep-apnoea/

How did you get on at the GP Royston?  Hopefully, you got a sleep clinic referral as you do need a diagnosis for a CPAP machine which is a prescription item.

Royston Tucker said:

Thank You Iain,
I am seeing GP tomorrow with my evidence collected so far,  hopefully they will be compliant and assist me going forward, I was looking to just purchase a machine and I agree I did see the humidifier machines which do look a lot more capable.
Will update on progress.
Regards
Roy

Iain Noble said:

hi

your gp will refer you to your local sleep clinic. they will test your pulse and o2 levels during the night. if the results indicate sleep apnea they will provide a pump and a mask. i woudl advise asking for a humidifier unit as well.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/sleep-apnoea/

Hi Kath,

Thank you for your message, I attend the GP surgery and provided my evidence and completed the simple online test which all concluded I needed a referral which is great but I was told there is a long waiting list so I am not sure where that leaves me.

I have been carrying out my own recording of sound and video and its rather difficult to hear and watch to be honest with an average of 38 seconds upwards before the gasp for breath and waking up.
Fingers crossed it doesn't take too long before I get to see someone.
Regards
Roy

Kath Hope said:

How did you get on at the GP Royston?  Hopefully, you got a sleep clinic referral as you do need a diagnosis for a CPAP machine which is a prescription item.

Royston Tucker said:

Thank You Iain,
I am seeing GP tomorrow with my evidence collected so far,  hopefully they will be compliant and assist me going forward, I was looking to just purchase a machine and I agree I did see the humidifier machines which do look a lot more capable.
Will update on progress.
Regards
Roy

Iain Noble said:

hi

your gp will refer you to your local sleep clinic. they will test your pulse and o2 levels during the night. if the results indicate sleep apnea they will provide a pump and a mask. i woudl advise asking for a humidifier unit as well.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/sleep-apnoea/

Hi Bob

I just replied to your other post and have the answer here (that it's APAP you're on).  Nobody will have a go at you on here, about driving, as you've clearly said that you don't drive when tired which is responsible!  Good to hear, despite how you feel, you've managed to do some good travel.  We have a motorhome too and use it for leisure and the charity work.

Regarding terminology, see if this link on our main website helps https://www.hope2sleep.co.uk/a-to-zzz-of-sleep-definitions-and-abbr...

Daytime tiredness can also be linked to other things and the biggest things linked with sleep apnoea are B12 and Vit D definiciencies, plus diabates and hypothyroidism, so it would be worth getting blood tests for these.  Also, you say about other medical conditions, and very often the medication alone can cause tiredness.  Some of them can even cause sleep apnoea, which I thought was mentioning with you saying you have it mild.

Bob Young said:

Thanks for letting me join your group. I have been on CPAP/APAP since 2012 and have mild sleep apnea. I started with a Philips Resmed unit and now have a Dreamstation, all supplied via the NHS.

My results have always met the criteria laid down which says it is doing what it should be and for fear of losing my driving licence I have never admitted the truth.. I don't drive unless I'm fit and always share driving with my wife, and stop if I get tired, so please don't castigate me about that, but I have problems and I'm hoping to try to find answers here.

I have tried to learn what all the terminology means and all the abbreviations but for some reason it just hasn't sunk in. Maybe I feel resistant to it all. I'm usually really quite good at understanding medical matters, I have several major health issues and I learn about how the meds work and try to understand options and alternatives, but this Apnea thing just drives me nuts...!

My consultant has been less than helpful and I have va GP (I think) who is un-seeable and generally considered in the town to be the most unhelpful Dr in england.. But he's the only show in town so I'm stuck with him too..

A bit at wits end with it all and need some constructive help.

Sorry to be a bit down on the whole thing.

On the up side I have travelled a bit with my machine, to Australia, Hong Kong and around Europe and I have used it camping in a tent and in caravan & motorhome etc.

I learned the hard way not to descale my humidifier, or use anything to sweeten the flavour as almost everything attacks the seal on the heater plate.

I went through several different masks from nasal masks to full face with chin straps and the only thing I found works is a real full face - FitLife mask.

Thanks and Hello,

Bob

Hi everyone, 

I thought I'd introduce myself. I am Sophie and I was diagnosed with OSA a year ago. I am managing okay with the mask and think it is helping my health overall. I am, however, struggling more with feeling down in the past few months - I'm hoping that getting to know others in a similar situation will help.

Sophie

Sorry for the delayed welcome Sophie.  Great to hear things are going well with CPAP and some people do feel a little down at first.  If you use Facebook I'd highly recommend joining our Private Support Group which is far more active than this forum and you'll meet loads of people in there https://www.facebook.com/groups/SleepApnoeaSupportAndAwareness/

Also see if this article helps you https://www.sleepapnoeablog.com/is-cpap-a-blessing-or-a-curse/

Sophie said:

Hi everyone, 

I thought I'd introduce myself. I am Sophie and I was diagnosed with OSA a year ago. I am managing okay with the mask and think it is helping my health overall. I am, however, struggling more with feeling down in the past few months - I'm hoping that getting to know others in a similar situation will help.

Sophie

Hello everyone,
I've recently  been diagnosed with OSA but not yet provided with the mask or machine. I have found several of my out patient appnts have been cancelled and hope that my sleep clinic on the 5th May isn't, but I won't be surprised if it is.
I am considering buying my own machine once I get the sleep study reports which was done several weeks ago, but from what I've read I'd choose automatic that is very quiet and has good reviews. I don't need a travel one just my first OSA machine with the appropriate mask and tubing.

So if anyone has tried a few and has any suggestions for a quiet home based auto-machine I would be grateful to read your experiences.Thank you for having me and I've been a shift worker all of my life and now retired at 57 due to health problems.

I'm overweight with severe respiratory problems and have chronic severe arthritis with gout on top in my knees causing excruciating pain. I also have very big tonsils!!

I've been an in patient with sepsis, & chest infections 4 times since last September so any suggestions will be welcomed.
Thank you again for accepting me.

Hi Lynn

I bought my machine many (many!) years ago.  It's a DeVilbiss Intellipap (also sold as a SleepCube) APAP machine and I am very happy with it although no doubt the technology has moved on.  I am replying to mention that I bought my machine with a humidifier.  Some people need a humidifier, some don't.  Depending on where you buy from, it's sometimes a lot cheaper to buy both together.

Having said that, I hope your clinic offers you a telephone appointment and prescribes you an NHS machine there and then.

Kath will be able to advise if you can buy a machine without a prescription.

Lynn Mattimoe said:

Hello everyone,
I've recently  been diagnosed with OSA but not yet provided with the mask or machine. I have found several of my out patient appnts have been cancelled and hope that my sleep clinic on the 5th May isn't, but I won't be surprised if it is.
I am considering buying my own machine once I get the sleep study reports which was done several weeks ago, but from what I've read I'd choose automatic that is very quiet and has good reviews. I don't need a travel one just my first OSA machine with the appropriate mask and tubing.

So if anyone has tried a few and has any suggestions for a quiet home based auto-machine I would be grateful to read your experiences.Thank you for having me and I've been a shift worker all of my life and now retired at 57 due to health problems.

I'm overweight with severe respiratory problems and have chronic severe arthritis with gout on top in my knees causing excruciating pain. I also have very big tonsils!!

I've been an in patient with sepsis, & chest infections 4 times since last September so any suggestions will be welcomed.
Thank you again for accepting me.

Hi Sophie 
I'm new to OSA and haven't been supplied with a machine or mask yet but due to the virus my local hospital are canceling all appointments.

I hope to experience the machine and mask and I've asked for a copy of my sleep study to buy a machine If necessary, and I'll pay for a private test if needed as my oxygen saturation drops really low into the 60s and has been into the 40s when I was unconscious.

I will get one prescribed and hope that I experience the difference from being  somewhat confused, foggy thoughts and fatigue to feeling more refreshed. As long as I remember I've had insomnia but with a lifetime of steroids I'm obese, unable to walk due to severe arthritis and yet 5 years ago I was working full time to now being in a wheelchair. I suppose we may all have similar stories but I'm hoping to be inspired and learn about  the better  machines and masks and read everyone's stories. I believe feeling low is a symptom of sleep apnoea, I'm not certain but my partner reads up everything.xxx


Kath Hope said:

Sorry for the delayed welcome Sophie.  Great to hear things are going well with CPAP and some people do feel a little down at first.  If you use Facebook I'd highly recommend joining our Private Support Group which is far more active than this forum and you'll meet loads of people in there https://www.facebook.com/groups/SleepApnoeaSupportAndAwareness/

Also see if this article helps you https://www.sleepapnoeablog.com/is-cpap-a-blessing-or-a-curse/

Sophie said:

Hi everyone, 

I thought I'd introduce myself. I am Sophie and I was diagnosed with OSA a year ago. I am managing okay with the mask and think it is helping my health overall. I am, however, struggling more with feeling down in the past few months - I'm hoping that getting to know others in a similar situation will help.

Sophie

Hi there - just saying hello - I’ve been using a cpap machine for about 4 years now after so many years of trying to convince an old GP something was wrong. Moved and new GP said - let’s test you for sleep apnoea!

Have moved again so have had to go through the rigmarole registration to a new hospital and a new machine. Now have to return old machine to old hospital - 160 miles away! Not essential travel at the moment. I don’t even know if I can post it back even I could get to a post office (and I wouldn’t want to overload our postal services staff at the moment. 

Trouble I am having at the moment is getting water for the humidifier- not sure what to do.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Sleep Apnoea Forum

New to the Sleep Apnoea Forum? 

1. Stop by our Sleep Apnoea Welcome Center to introduce yourself to the SleepGuide community.
2. Start a New Topic of Conversation.
3. Post your photos - of yourself, your old CPAP machine, your new CPAP machine, your pet, something about you!

Interested in advertising, have a problem or need to contact us? Click the Report an Issue page.

 

Latest Activity

Tony left a comment for Zia
"Hi Zia, that’s fine, postage shouldn’t be too much I hope, I’ve bought 2 masks from someone else who sent them in a shoe box signed for and it was less than £5. Do you have PayPal as that gives us both a bit of extra security…"
16 hours ago
Zia left a comment for Tony
"Hi Tony, I could do both for £80 plus postage? No worries if not."
17 hours ago
Tony left a comment for Zia
"Hi Zia, been using the F30i for a few days. Just in case you were interested if you were more or less willing to match the price of the other guy (37.50 incl postage)then I’d buy one, possibly both, off you as this guy hasn’t got another…"
yesterday
Dave Jones replied to Dave Jones's discussion Consultant recommendation please?
"Hi Kath, thank you for your response.  I did a sleep study privately and the result diagnosed moderate OSA.  I purchased an automatic machine subsequently. The results from the machine have been analysed. They came back saying 2 episodes…"
Friday
Gideon Hillman replied to Gideon Hillman's discussion ResMed AirMini Travel CPAP Machine With Extras Bundle and ResMed Travel Case in the group Buy-Sell-Swap
"This item is now SOLD"
Jan 17
Gideon Hillman replied to Gideon Hillman's discussion ResMed AirMini Travel CPAP Machine With Extras Bundle and ResMed Travel Case in the group Buy-Sell-Swap
"Hi Tracey im sorry but this was sold in the last two weeks and I forgot to mark it as SOLD"
Jan 17
Tracey Tilley replied to Gideon Hillman's discussion ResMed AirMini Travel CPAP Machine With Extras Bundle and ResMed Travel Case in the group Buy-Sell-Swap
"Hello Gideon, I have friended you and sent a mail to my sleep clinic just to check it's OK for me. If they say yes, I want to buy the Mini. Where are you please?Tracey."
Jan 17
Tracey Tilley joined The SleepGuide Crew's group
Jan 17
Tracey Tilley is now a member of Hope2SleepGuide
Jan 17
Andy Hornby is now a member of Hope2SleepGuide
Jan 15
Zia left a comment for Tony
"No worries Tony, yeah you get one free a year on the NHS but I was but spare as they tend to last 4-5."
Jan 11
Tony left a comment for Zia
"Hi Zia, thanks for your reply. I've just managed to buy one now for £37.50 from Facebook Marketplace. I do hope you manage to sell them. I think they cost about £120 new, but I'm sure some people get them free from the NHS but…"
Jan 10
Zia left a comment for Tony
"What's your best price Tony?"
Jan 10
Tony left a comment for Zia
"Hi Zia, I'll be honest it was looking to pay less, though I understand given the amount you paid. Can you do less? Best regards, Tony"
Jan 10
Zia left a comment for Tony
"Hi Tony thanks for responding, I was think about £70 for it? I purcahsed last year for £105."
Jan 8
Zia and Tony are now friends
Jan 8
Tony replied to Zia's discussion For Sale Resmed F30i Medium Full Face Mask in the group Buy-Sell-Swap
"Hi yes am interested. Do reply to my friend request so you can say how much you would like. With thanks, T"
Jan 8
Tony joined The SleepGuide Crew's group
Jan 8
Tony is now a member of Hope2SleepGuide
Jan 8
Zia replied to Zia's discussion For Sale Resmed F30i Medium Full Face Mask in the group Buy-Sell-Swap
"Added pictutes."
Jan 7

© 2022   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service