Hope2SleepGuide

Sleep Apnoea Forum Bringing Help + Support to the Patient

Welcome to our Forum - Feel Free to Introduce Yourself Here.

Welcome to the Hope2SleepGuide Forum, which is a service run by the Hope2Sleep Charity founded by Kath Hope with a marvellous team of trustees and volunteers. 

Kath herself has severe sleep apnoea and hypoventilation/hypercapnia, and has used CPAP for several years and is now on non-invasive ventilation.  Our trustees and volunteers are all either sufferers of sleep disordered breathing or clinicians/medics working in this field, and most importantly, we are all passionate in supporting (with empathy) others and raising awareness to help people live healthier and more energised lives.

Whilst we do not give medical advice, more often than not, with support, tips and knowledge, people can overcome any problems experienced with our therapy, and there is a whole page dedicated to this on the website http://www.hope2sleep.co.uk/tips-for-problems-sleeping-with-cpap-or...

Please come and join us, and don’t feel obligated to use your ‘real’ name if you prefer to remain anonymous as this is a public forum.  Don’t be shy in posting and sharing, as we’re all in this together and to help each other.

Best Wishes for good sleep!

Kath

Views: 9323

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Bob

Welcome to our group and glad you found us.  An apology is never needed for being a bit down on things, and without good support many people feel like this from time to time.  It's great to hear you haven't let your diagnosis prevent you from travelling.

For many years I too used the FitLife when struggling to find a suitable mask.  I still love my old faithful, although now find the DreamWear Full Face works really well for me, although masks are a very individual thing and what works for one person doesn't always work for another.

There is no judgement from me, as you sound very responsible in not going behind the wheel when you feel tired as there are too many accidents by people taking risks.

If you look on our charity's main website there's a link here to the terminology https://www.hope2sleep.co.uk/a-to-zzz-of-sleep-definitions-and-abbr...The main thing people are usually interested in is looking at their results on the machine to see that their AHI (apnoea hypopnoea index, meaning the amount of apnoeas or hypopnoeas per hour) is as low as possible - ideally under 5, and also that their leakage isn't high from the mask.  Let us know if there's anything else you're struggling to understand.

Bob Young said:

Thanks for letting me join your group. I have been on CPAP/APAP since 2012 and have mild sleep apnea. I started with a Philips Resmed unit and now have a Dreamstation, all supplied via the NHS.

My results have always met the criteria laid down which says it is doing what it should be and for fear of losing my driving licence I have never admitted the truth.. I don't drive unless I'm fit and always share driving with my wife, and stop if I get tired, so please don't castigate me about that, but I have problems and I'm hoping to try to find answers here.

I have tried to learn what all the terminology means and all the abbreviations but for some reason it just hasn't sunk in. Maybe I feel resistant to it all. I'm usually really quite good at understanding medical matters, I have several major health issues and I learn about how the meds work and try to understand options and alternatives, but this Apnea thing just drives me nuts...!

My consultant has been less than helpful and I have va GP (I think) who is un-seeable and generally considered in the town to be the most unhelpful Dr in england.. But he's the only show in town so I'm stuck with him too..

A bit at wits end with it all and need some constructive help.

Sorry to be a bit down on the whole thing.

On the up side I have travelled a bit with my machine, to Australia, Hong Kong and around Europe and I have used it camping in a tent and in caravan & motorhome etc.

I learned the hard way not to descale my humidifier, or use anything to sweeten the flavour as almost everything attacks the seal on the heater plate.

I went through several different masks from nasal masks to full face with chin straps and the only thing I found works is a real full face - FitLife mask.

Thanks and Hello,

Bob

Hi,
Just popping in to say Hello.

I haven't been diagnosed with sleep apnea not do I have a CPAP machine but after 40 years of intensive snoring and the worry of causing distress to anyone with close radius I am attending the doctors to try and get permission to purchase a machine.
So with so many choices and options I was hoping to try and get some valuable feedback to assist me in finding a machine.
I am currently using Snorelab to record my snoring, I dont even know how my wife can sleep through it :-( 

Thanks in advance for any feedback. 

hi

your gp will refer you to your local sleep clinic. they will test your pulse and o2 levels during the night. if the results indicate sleep apnea they will provide a pump and a mask. i woudl advise asking for a humidifier unit as well.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/sleep-apnoea/

Thank You Iain,
I am seeing GP tomorrow with my evidence collected so far,  hopefully they will be compliant and assist me going forward, I was looking to just purchase a machine and I agree I did see the humidifier machines which do look a lot more capable.
Will update on progress.
Regards
Roy

Iain Noble said:

hi

your gp will refer you to your local sleep clinic. they will test your pulse and o2 levels during the night. if the results indicate sleep apnea they will provide a pump and a mask. i woudl advise asking for a humidifier unit as well.

How did you get on at the GP Royston?  Hopefully, you got a sleep clinic referral as you do need a diagnosis for a CPAP machine which is a prescription item.

Royston Tucker said:

Thank You Iain,
I am seeing GP tomorrow with my evidence collected so far,  hopefully they will be compliant and assist me going forward, I was looking to just purchase a machine and I agree I did see the humidifier machines which do look a lot more capable.
Will update on progress.
Regards
Roy

Iain Noble said:

hi

Hi Kath,

Thank you for your message, I attend the GP surgery and provided my evidence and completed the simple online test which all concluded I needed a referral which is great but I was told there is a long waiting list so I am not sure where that leaves me.

I have been carrying out my own recording of sound and video and its rather difficult to hear and watch to be honest with an average of 38 seconds upwards before the gasp for breath and waking up.
Fingers crossed it doesn't take too long before I get to see someone.
Regards
Roy

Kath Hope said:

How did you get on at the GP Royston?  Hopefully, you got a sleep clinic referral as you do need a diagnosis for a CPAP machine which is a prescription item.

Royston Tucker said:

Thank You Iain,
Will update on progress.
Regards
Roy

Iain Noble said:

hi

Hi Bob

I just replied to your other post and have the answer here (that it's APAP you're on).  Nobody will have a go at you on here, about driving, as you've clearly said that you don't drive when tired which is responsible!  Good to hear, despite how you feel, you've managed to do some good travel.  We have a motorhome too and use it for leisure and the charity work.

Regarding terminology, see if this link on our main website helps https://www.hope2sleep.co.uk/a-to-zzz-of-sleep-definitions-and-abbr...

Daytime tiredness can also be linked to other things and the biggest things linked with sleep apnoea are B12 and Vit D definiciencies, plus diabates and hypothyroidism, so it would be worth getting blood tests for these.  Also, you say about other medical conditions, and very often the medication alone can cause tiredness.  Some of them can even cause sleep apnoea, which I thought was mentioning with you saying you have it mild.

Bob Young said:

Thanks for letting me join your group. I have been on CPAP/APAP since 2012 and have mild sleep apnea. I started with a Philips Resmed unit and now have a Dreamstation, all supplied via the NHS.

My results have always met the criteria laid down which says it is doing what it should be and for fear of losing my driving licence I have never admitted the truth.. I don't drive unless I'm fit and always share driving with my wife, and stop if I get tired, so please don't castigate me about that, but I have problems and I'm hoping to try to find answers here.

I have tried to learn what all the terminology means and all the abbreviations but for some reason it just hasn't sunk in. Maybe I feel resistant to it all. I'm usually really quite good at understanding medical matters, I have several major health issues and I learn about how the meds work and try to understand options and alternatives, but this Apnea thing just drives me nuts...!

My consultant has been less than helpful and I have va GP (I think) who is un-seeable and generally considered in the town to be the most unhelpful Dr in england.. But he's the only show in town so I'm stuck with him too..

A bit at wits end with it all and need some constructive help.

Sorry to be a bit down on the whole thing.

On the up side I have travelled a bit with my machine, to Australia, Hong Kong and around Europe and I have used it camping in a tent and in caravan & motorhome etc.

I learned the hard way not to descale my humidifier, or use anything to sweeten the flavour as almost everything attacks the seal on the heater plate.

I went through several different masks from nasal masks to full face with chin straps and the only thing I found works is a real full face - FitLife mask.

Thanks and Hello,

Bob

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Sleep Apnoea Forum

New to the Sleep Apnoea Forum? 

1. Stop by our Sleep Apnoea Welcome Center to introduce yourself to the SleepGuide community.
2. Start a New Topic of Conversation.
3. Post your photos - of yourself, your old CPAP machine, your new CPAP machine, your pet, something about you!

Interested in advertising, have a problem or need to contact us? Click the Report an Issue page.

Latest Activity

Kath Hope replied to Richard Smith's discussion Philips Trueblue
"You're not on your own there Richard - lots of people are upset the Liquicell has lost it's CE mark and can no longer be sold in the UK.  I am still in touch with the manufacturer, begging for them to resolve it, and am waiting for…"
23 hours ago
Richard Smith replied to Richard Smith's discussion Philips Trueblue
"Hi Kath, Yes, I’m looking for a mask that’s more comfortable for the bridge of my nose and doesn’t leak.  I miss the liquicell cushions and was looking to try a mask that used gel.  i tried nasal pillows but I kept…"
yesterday
Profile Icontriker and Daniel Grist joined Hope2SleepGuide
yesterday
Daniel Grist added a discussion to the group Buy-Sell-Swap
Thumbnail

Phillips dreamstation CPAP pro machine with heated humidifier and all accessories for sale

Phillips dreamstation CPAP pro machine with heated humidifier comes with all accessories including tubes face mask all manuals power leads and also carry bag only used a hand full of times like new open to offers many thanks. DanielSee More
Tuesday
Daniel Grist joined The SleepGuide Crew's group
Tuesday
Daniel Grist posted a discussion

Phillips dreamstation CPAP pro machine with heated humidifier and all accessories for sale

Phillips dreamstation CPAP pro machine with heated humidifier tubes face mask all manuals and power leads comes with carry bag  only used a hand full of times like new open to offers many thanks. DanielSee More
Tuesday
"Hi Richard.  You may have seen it on their main website but they discontinued it a year or more ago, along with a few others.  Are you struggling with your existing mask?"
Tuesday
Richard Smith replied to Richard Smith's discussion Philips Trueblue
"Hi Kath, thanks for the info.  I thought I’d seen it on the Philips website but maybe it was elsewhere."
Monday
Kath Hope replied to The SleepGuide Crew's discussion Welcome to our Forum - Feel Free to Introduce Yourself Here.
"Hi Bob I just replied to your other post and have the answer here (that it's APAP you're on).  Nobody will have a go at you on here, about driving, as you've clearly said that you don't drive when tired which is…"
Monday
Kath Hope replied to Mags's discussion Daytime Tiredness on CPAP
"Hi Bob (delayed reply as the forum wouldn't post last time I tried).  Your average pressure is certainly very low.  I'm assuming it's auto pressures (APAP)?  Your AHI is good too.  It would be better to upload a…"
Monday
"Sorry Richard, but I clearly remember replying to you a whle ago but my comment's not here.  If it's not too late to say, I'd mentioned that it may not be worth trying the Philip's TrueBlue as the mask is now discontinued as…"
Monday
Profile IconNever1 and Lucie Atwell joined Hope2SleepGuide
Monday
Edam replied to Edam's discussion Double inhaling
"The final answer is to change my mask back to a F & P  Flexifit 432 which has reduced my 95% pressure by up to 4cm.. Last night my 95% pressure was 16.1 with a AHI of 0.6"
Feb 13
James Lowes is now a member of Hope2SleepGuide
Feb 12
Richard Smith posted a discussion

Philips Trueblue

Hi,Does anyone have experience of the Philips Trueblue mask?  Any opinions?Thanks in advance.RichardSee More
Feb 10
Bob Young replied to Mags's discussion Daytime Tiredness on CPAP
"Hi Kath, I think, looking at the graphs that I have a very low flow rate and then an OA event and then the machine sends out one or more pulses. This is almost invariably when I wake. So it could be the OA event waking me (or waking causing the OA),…"
Feb 10
Royston Tucker replied to The SleepGuide Crew's discussion Welcome to our Forum - Feel Free to Introduce Yourself Here.
"Hi Kath, Thank you for your message, I attend the GP surgery and provided my evidence and completed the simple online test which all concluded I needed a referral which is great but I was told there is a long waiting list so I am not sure where…"
Feb 9
Kath Hope replied to Mags's discussion Daytime Tiredness on CPAP
"Sorry Bob, but I missed your post.  If you're having broken sleep this will cause daytime tiredness.  Roughly every 90 mins we go into REM sleep and I'm wondering if you're being woken up by the pressure rising when apnoeas…"
Feb 9
Kath Hope replied to The SleepGuide Crew's discussion Welcome to our Forum - Feel Free to Introduce Yourself Here.
"How did you get on at the GP Royston?  Hopefully, you got a sleep clinic referral as you do need a diagnosis for a CPAP machine which is a prescription item."
Feb 9
Royston Tucker replied to The SleepGuide Crew's discussion Welcome to our Forum - Feel Free to Introduce Yourself Here.
"Thank You Iain,I am seeing GP tomorrow with my evidence collected so far,  hopefully they will be compliant and assist me going forward, I was looking to just purchase a machine and I agree I did see the humidifier machines which do look a lot…"
Feb 3

© 2020   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service