Hope2SleepGuide

Sleep Apnoea Forum Bringing Help + Support to the Patient

Welcome to our Forum - Feel Free to Introduce Yourself Here.

Welcome to the Hope2SleepGuide Forum, which is a service run by the Hope2Sleep Charity founded by Kath Hope with a marvellous team of trustees and volunteers. 

Kath herself has severe sleep apnoea and hypoventilation/hypercapnia, and has used CPAP for several years and is now on non-invasive ventilation.  Our trustees and volunteers are all either sufferers of sleep disordered breathing or clinicians/medics working in this field, and most importantly, we are all passionate in supporting (with empathy) others and raising awareness to help people live healthier and more energised lives.

Whilst we do not give medical advice, more often than not, with support, tips and knowledge, people can overcome any problems experienced with our therapy, and there is a whole page dedicated to this on the website http://www.hope2sleep.co.uk/tips-for-problems-sleeping-with-cpap-or...

Please come and join us, and don’t feel obligated to use your ‘real’ name if you prefer to remain anonymous as this is a public forum.  Don’t be shy in posting and sharing, as we’re all in this together and to help each other.

Best Wishes for good sleep!

Kath

Views: 12590

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Kath, they were from one of Dr Parks presentations and I think one of his guests as well, it's to do with getting used to the mask etc, I think that figure was over all compliance and over a long period of time. There was a figure where about 50% dropped off fairly quicly and the other 25% over time, they were also US figures so maybe a larger population brings that number down more. I think the knowledge and awareness from people like you and this site of what effect it has on us may help increase the percentage of late. 

I'm so happy to have found this website!  It looks like it's loaded with tons of information!  I'm looking forward to meeting everyone and learning more about CPAP therapy. 

Hi Patricia, and welcome to our forum.  Glad your 1st impression on here and good, and there are some lovely friendly and helpful people keen to assist with any problems we all get from time to time.  Look forward to speaking with you

Welcome, Patricia, I think that is the Pat Higgins I know from another site, actually I know it is from the photos of your beautiful cat, I'm sure you will get even more info from here.

Hi All Members,Goodday my name in Allan Form Down Under, Gunnedah New South Wales Australia, And have been diagnosed with severe OSA. it took years for the doctors to finally do a sleep test & thanks heavens he did.  Pleased I found the site  as help is always welcome. As  I am to start CPAP could any one help with the best machine, A Resmed S9 or the fish and paykel auot. Thanks Cheers Allan

Hi Allan and great to have you on here, and we have several like yourself from 'down under' which is good as with our different time zones there's usually somebody about to help out.

Both the S9 and the Fisher & Paykel are good machines, but if you want access to the results of your sleep there's some free software you can use with the S9, which we'll tell you about later once you've decided.  Terry, also from Oz, will no doubt see this post and be able to advise you too, and perhaps know the best places to get the machines.   He uses the Resmed S9 too.

Welcome Allan, yes I'm from Melbourne and have been on CPAP for nearly two years and love it, mine also took 47 years to be diagnosed so know how you feel. The machines are not really the most importnat part the mask is and you attitude towards CPAP which yours sounds good. I use the Resmed S9 Auto and so does my sister and we both like it but I'm sure the F&P would do the same job. I have two lots of software for the Resmed , one called Sleepyhead and I have just been able to download the official Rescan software for free which I can share, but don't tell Resmed lol. Our system in Australia is different to the other countries, you can lease a machine and mask for 3 months before deciding if you want to buy them and can change them as many times as you want in that time. It is really good for masks because it took me 5 different masks before I got the right one. Let me know where you are at in the process, it is also different if you go private vs public, I go private. The CPAPs are also different, I use an auto machine which adjusts pressures as I need it, some people just use straight CPAP and the pressures do not change. The auto machines are a lot dearer about twice the price at about $2,000. Let me know where your up to and ask any questions, the more knowledge you get the easier it is.  

Tut Tut Terry - I'm telling Resmed That is unless you send me the link

Terry Vella said:

............ I have two lots of software for the Resmed , one called Sleepyhead and I have just been able to download the official Rescan software for free which I can share, but don't tell Resmed lol.......

Thanks Kath & Terry for your reply. Terry after you suggested the Resmed S9 auto I ordered one. I will buy the machine and  will try different mask all up is $2,750  that will include S9 auto with hum, one mask and visits to set up, that will start on Monday 11th with a sleep clinic. ( you  mentioned attitude towards CPAP) well I cant start quick enough & I will do what it takes to get back to a  normal life. I will appreciate your offer with the download for the S9.Cheers Allan. 

There's no stopping you Allan, which is great to hear, and the right positive attitude to start off on.  Yes, there are sometimes a few teething problems at first, but we're here to help you with those.  Take a look at the blog I did on masks as you might find some tips http://www.sleepapnoeablog.com/choosing-a-cpap-bipap-masks-for-slee... to get you started.  Glad you're getting a humidifier as that will help, and especially with your wonderful hot weather that I'm jealous of lol.

Look forward to speaking again, but bed for me now as it's very late here.

No worries Allan, some people go in with a bad attitude towards it especially having to wear a mas for the rest of our lives but there are things much worse like the associated illness's. That price sounds about right can you tell me who you went through? The mask is the next step and by far the most important, let us know which way you go, there are 3 options nasal pillows, nasal masks and full face masks, I use a FFM because I'm a mouth breather, if you did well at the sleep study it's best to try the same one first, there are also all sorts of brands, I use a Resmed Mirage Quattro just to keep the brands the same but you don't have to. When you get all your equipment let us know because there are heaps of tips we can give you that you don't get told.

hi all

stopping by to say hello, recently diagnosed and in to first 3 weeks of treatment, what a difference those first days have made to my life and health --- all i need now is my driving license returned, which as always with any government department is a nightmare

glad to find this site for support and information needed

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Sleep Apnoea Forum

New to the Sleep Apnoea Forum? 

1. Stop by our Sleep Apnoea Welcome Center to introduce yourself to the SleepGuide community.
2. Start a New Topic of Conversation.
3. Post your photos - of yourself, your old CPAP machine, your new CPAP machine, your pet, something about you!

Interested in advertising, have a problem or need to contact us? Click the Report an Issue page.

Latest Activity

Jonathan replied to Iain Noble's discussion Resmed Airfit F20 Woes
"Hi.  No first hand experience, but you can see reviews here, which are mixed: https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed-airfit-f40-full-face-cpap-mask I notice cpap.com still appear to be selling the Quattro FX.  I have imported stuff from…"
Sunday
Iain Noble posted a discussion

Resmed Airfit F20 Woes

Dear FolksI have been using the Resmed Quattro FX mask ever since I was diagnosed over 7 years ago.…See More
Saturday
Iain Noble replied to Becky Murkin's discussion F20 AirFit small marking bridge of nose
"Hi All I can say is I feel your pain! I got the F20 as a replacement this year and it is very uncomfortable. I have just ordered the new Resmed F40 which is very small and light and so far it has been a lot easier to use for a mouth breather that…"
Saturday
Sarah Martin is now a member of Hope2SleepGuide
Saturday
jjimjam updated their profile
Apr 17
Kath Hope replied to Becky Murkin's discussion noisy humidifier normal?
"It sounds like you're getting rainout issues (condensation) so here's an article to help with this. www.hope2sleep.co.uk/water-in-the-mask-hose-known-as-rainout"
Apr 16
Becky Murkin posted a discussion

noisy humidifier normal?

Hello,I have an air sense 10 auto.When I have the humidifier and the heated tube plugged in it makes a sort of drumming noise. Like that at the gallows in films.Is this normal? It wakes me up  and I have to give up and switch off  for the night.See More
Apr 16
John posted a discussion

Dentists in Hull that know about Mewing ?

I was wondering if there are any dentists in Hull who know about John & Mike Mew, and changing jaw shape over time?I could add that I saw an ENT consultant recently and she said jaw shape, malocclusion, is genetic, which has become a debatable…See More
Apr 9
Profile IconKaren Mcleod, Fiona Watson, Teresa Hobbs and 5 more joined Hope2SleepGuide
Apr 3
Jonathan replied to John's discussion Airsense 10 -humidifier runs dry
"I did replace the tank in my SleepCube, and had to regularly take the silicone sealing gasket out and give it a goof clean, but not infrequently found it standing in a pool of water in the morning.  The machine sat on a tray because of…"
Mar 26
John posted a discussion

Nasal valve collapse

Does anyone have any experience of nasal valve collapse?Wondering if I have this but I don't know what the norm is.Been trying widgets that hold the nose open and it's like night and day.See More
Mar 24
John replied to John's discussion Airsense 10 -humidifier runs dry
"Wow it's the other way round for me.I found with the Sleepcube I'd often have a good bit of water still there in the morning. Today I woke up with a dry tank on the Resmed again and it's not on full heat or flow. I got it on 6…"
Mar 24
Becky Murkin posted a discussion

F20 AirFit small marking bridge of nose

Please help or give advice all wise people on here.I have had the Resmed F20 AirFit small mask for over a month. Seals yet…See More
Mar 19
Frances Knight replied to Frances Knight's discussion Air Sense 10 - changing pressure settings
"A very helpful reply Jonathan. I found the pressure setting for the full face mask to be too high when I changed to a nasal mask, but perhaps I should have persisted? I'll try again and I'll also discuss with the clinic whether an APAP…"
Mar 13
Jonathan replied to Frances Knight's discussion Air Sense 10 - changing pressure settings
"Ramble alert!  My history is that I spent part of each week at a different location, so bought a second machine identical to my fixed pressure NHS machine and set it up to match using the clinician menu.  This was a very long time…"
Mar 12
Frances Knight replied to Frances Knight's discussion Air Sense 10 - changing pressure settings
"Thanks Jonathan - I had seen the YouTube video. My question is really about the experience of people who have control of their pressure settings, for example those people who have bought their machines directly and not obtained them through an NHS…"
Mar 12
Jonathan replied to Frances Knight's discussion Air Sense 10 - changing pressure settings
"This is NOT a recommendation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNUWhd2UgQM"
Mar 11
Frances Knight posted a discussion

Air Sense 10 - changing pressure settings

I have been successfully using my air sense 10 since OSA diagnosis, and my AHI is now under 2. I had an appointment with my clinic this week and have been told there is no need for further appointments and just to contact them if I need supplies or…See More
Mar 11
Swen Greve is now a member of Hope2SleepGuide
Mar 4
Jonathan replied to Sue Reeves's discussion A few questions..
"If you have a helpful GP, I would ask them to re-refer you to the sleep clinic."
Mar 3

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service