Hope2SleepGuide

Sleep Apnoea Forum Bringing Help + Support to the Patient

Hi,

I was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea last month and have been given my CPAP machine this week.

I was hoping that I would be able, at last, to get a good night sleep but I've had three awful nights getting tangled up and uncomfortable and am finding it very hard to accept that I'll have to wear this for the rest of my life.

Is there anyone out there who can give me any kind of assurance that it gets easier and starts working after a while? I felt so bad at 04.00 this morning I took it off and thought I'd have a few hours rest without it but, after about 15 minutes, I changed my mind and put it back on.

Hopefully,

Mike

Views: 953

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Muz, it seems that perseverance is the rule but I know giving up is not an option. I've at least now received a message from the hospital saying they hope to contact me in the next couple of days (they are in the process of moving).

I'm hoping they've got a range of masks to try!

Cheers, Mike

That's good to hear, and the sooner the better!  When you try the masks on make sure you'r attached to a CPAP blowing air, and if possible lay down.  Trying a mask on with no machine in an upright position is no good.  It's like trying on a pair of shoes and not walking in them before purchase!

Well, bad news from the Sleep Disorder Clinic.  After a six day wait they have called me back and told me that my case isn't urgent and they cannot see me for four weeks to try different masks. Everyone advises trying as many masks as possible and, even when I do get to go there, they only have a choice of three and say they believe I already have the best one, which I clearly disagree with!

So, my question is, how do I try different masks?  I like the idea of the Fitlife full face mask but how do I try one, or any for that matter, without buying them first?

Hoping for you advice again. Cheers, Mike

This is very bad service Mike and so sorry to hear this :(  Leave me to think about this and I'll speak to you later..

No I don't get that problem Mary.  I wonder why you do!  My last one was used almost every night for a full year.  Have you ever tried the replacement straps Mary, as they do a small size, and I remember you saying you have a small face?

Mary Zimlich said:

So sorry to hear they have put you off for so long, Mike.  I do hope you come up with a way to get a FitLife.  I love mine.  The only drawback, and Kath may get longer use from hers, but I find they only hold a seal for 3 months.  It's a one piece mask so there are no cushions to replace to extend the life of the mask.

I was given the same mask as you, and found this one a lot better, and it is only £60:

http://www.eu-pap.co.uk/flexifit-407-nasal-mask.html

I was surprised how easy it was to keep my mouth shut, and I don't feel claustrophobic in it. It is very comfortable, and doesn't leak very easily.

Daz

An interesting question! What is reasonable expectation of the NHS and what is not? You make me realise that I have accepted the status quo with my part of the NHS - I get a mask a year. With some assertion, I can get (so far) the mask I want free of charge from the clinic but I have to do the discovery at my own expense. This means I buy my own masks till I find one that suits and then get a second from the NHS (one on, one in the wash).

I chose Resmed masks as my favourites from on-line research and then invested £25 on a mask fitting session at Abingdon - and tried them all. Full face, Quattro and then Q FX have suited me.

But - as masks are such a personal affair, is it reasonable to expect the NHS to fund our trials and errors? It's very easy to argue that it is - until one thinks of the cost! A new mask is affordable for many of us, whereas huindreds of thousands of them would break the NHS bank and nudge things like a new hip or heart - or bariatric surgery, come to that - into touch. Maybe the status quo is reasonable, after all.

My local NHS hospital said they will supply anything I need, free to me, as they "bill my GP".....lol. And if I want any "extras" they can get them for me at cost price.... I can't complain at that service.

Tigers Fan said:

An interesting question! What is reasonable expectation of the NHS and what is not? You make me realise that I have accepted the status quo with my part of the NHS - I get a mask a year. With some assertion, I can get (so far) the mask I want free of charge from the clinic but I have to do the discovery at my own expense. This means I buy my own masks till I find one that suits and then get a second from the NHS (one on, one in the wash).

I chose Resmed masks as my favourites from on-line research and then invested £25 on a mask fitting session at Abingdon - and tried them all. Full face, Quattro and then Q FX have suited me.

But - as masks are such a personal affair, is it reasonable to expect the NHS to fund our trials and errors? It's very easy to argue that it is - until one thinks of the cost! A new mask is affordable for many of us, whereas huindreds of thousands of them would break the NHS bank and nudge things like a new hip or heart - or bariatric surgery, come to that - into touch. Maybe the status quo is reasonable, after all.

I know this won't help Mike just wanted to give you a perspective from Aus. Not sure about our public health system but I'm in our private health system and we go to mini clinics and we can lease machines and masks for as long as we want normally 3 months then the lease price comes off the purchase price. CPAP machines ae $200.00 per month and masks are $100.00 per month but you can change as many times as you need. I kept my machine Resmed Autoset and changed my mask 5 times in 3 months till I got the one I am happy with Resmed Mirage Quattro. Just though I would put a different perspective on this problem.

hi mike sorry i cant help you as i am having major probs like you i spend about 3 hours trying to get to sleep with mask on even though i am so tied i drop of for a few mins then wake up give in at about 2 am i know i should not but i have to work and at the moment i so so struggling so it looks like getting used to is so hard but you made me feel better that i arnt alone so hope this helped you tox

Gina,

Let me say that the first 5 hours of each night are the worst and I usually get some sleep between 04.00 and 08.00, so don't give up. In my very limited experience, I've found taking mask off for a few minutes every hour or so makes the night passable until I eventually sleep.

Like you, this forum has made me feel that I'm not alone!

Mike

Thanks mike

i will try your tip any think worth trying like you so glad to have found this forum i just hope it helps and i think it will as people know what we are going through and may have some tips all my hubby says is you have to get used to it !! even though i am trying

Gina

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Sleep Apnoea Forum

New to the Sleep Apnoea Forum? 

1. Stop by our Sleep Apnoea Welcome Center to introduce yourself to the SleepGuide community.
2. Start a New Topic of Conversation.
3. Post your photos - of yourself, your old CPAP machine, your new CPAP machine, your pet, something about you!

Interested in advertising, have a problem or need to contact us? Click the Report an Issue page.

Latest Activity

Becky Murkin replied to Becky Murkin's discussion F20 AirFit small marking bridge of nose
"I have an appointment with my NHS Respiratory physio team on Friday and will plead my case for an F30 or F40. They said to me last week they did not have f40 in as yet however they are soon to see resmed rep any day now."
May 7
Judy posted a discussion

Headgear tips please

Hi, this is a rather trivial question, and apologies if it isn't appropriate for this forum, but I’m hoping someone might have some tips.I use the Resmed N20 mask. I also dye my white hair roots with a decent brand (as it would take several years to…See More
May 6
Judy updated their profile
May 6
Jonathan replied to Iain Noble's discussion Resmed Airfit F20 Woes
"Hi.  No first hand experience, but you can see reviews here, which are mixed: https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed-airfit-f40-full-face-cpap-mask I notice cpap.com still appear to be selling the Quattro FX.  I have imported stuff from…"
Apr 28
Iain Noble posted a discussion

Resmed Airfit F20 Woes

Dear FolksI have been using the Resmed Quattro FX mask ever since I was diagnosed over 7 years ago.…See More
Apr 28
Iain Noble replied to Becky Murkin's discussion F20 AirFit small marking bridge of nose
"Hi All I can say is I feel your pain! I got the F20 as a replacement this year and it is very uncomfortable. I have just ordered the new Resmed F40 which is very small and light and so far it has been a lot easier to use for a mouth breather that…"
Apr 28
Sarah Martin is now a member of Hope2SleepGuide
Apr 27
jjimjam updated their profile
Apr 17
Kath Hope replied to Becky Murkin's discussion noisy humidifier normal?
"It sounds like you're getting rainout issues (condensation) so here's an article to help with this. www.hope2sleep.co.uk/water-in-the-mask-hose-known-as-rainout"
Apr 16
Becky Murkin posted a discussion

noisy humidifier normal?

Hello,I have an air sense 10 auto.When I have the humidifier and the heated tube plugged in it makes a sort of drumming noise. Like that at the gallows in films.Is this normal? It wakes me up  and I have to give up and switch off  for the night.See More
Apr 16
John posted a discussion

Dentists in Hull that know about Mewing ?

I was wondering if there are any dentists in Hull who know about John & Mike Mew, and changing jaw shape over time?I could add that I saw an ENT consultant recently and she said jaw shape, malocclusion, is genetic, which has become a debatable…See More
Apr 9
Profile IconKaren Mcleod, Fiona Watson, Teresa Hobbs and 5 more joined Hope2SleepGuide
Apr 3
Jonathan replied to John's discussion Airsense 10 -humidifier runs dry
"I did replace the tank in my SleepCube, and had to regularly take the silicone sealing gasket out and give it a goof clean, but not infrequently found it standing in a pool of water in the morning.  The machine sat on a tray because of…"
Mar 26
John posted a discussion

Nasal valve collapse

Does anyone have any experience of nasal valve collapse?Wondering if I have this but I don't know what the norm is.Been trying widgets that hold the nose open and it's like night and day.See More
Mar 24
John replied to John's discussion Airsense 10 -humidifier runs dry
"Wow it's the other way round for me.I found with the Sleepcube I'd often have a good bit of water still there in the morning. Today I woke up with a dry tank on the Resmed again and it's not on full heat or flow. I got it on 6…"
Mar 24
Becky Murkin posted a discussion

F20 AirFit small marking bridge of nose

Please help or give advice all wise people on here.I have had the Resmed F20 AirFit small mask for over a month. Seals yet…See More
Mar 19
Frances Knight replied to Frances Knight's discussion Air Sense 10 - changing pressure settings
"A very helpful reply Jonathan. I found the pressure setting for the full face mask to be too high when I changed to a nasal mask, but perhaps I should have persisted? I'll try again and I'll also discuss with the clinic whether an APAP…"
Mar 13
Jonathan replied to Frances Knight's discussion Air Sense 10 - changing pressure settings
"Ramble alert!  My history is that I spent part of each week at a different location, so bought a second machine identical to my fixed pressure NHS machine and set it up to match using the clinician menu.  This was a very long time…"
Mar 12
Frances Knight replied to Frances Knight's discussion Air Sense 10 - changing pressure settings
"Thanks Jonathan - I had seen the YouTube video. My question is really about the experience of people who have control of their pressure settings, for example those people who have bought their machines directly and not obtained them through an NHS…"
Mar 12
Jonathan replied to Frances Knight's discussion Air Sense 10 - changing pressure settings
"This is NOT a recommendation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNUWhd2UgQM"
Mar 11

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service